Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funny Burnt Petrol smell  (Read 1185 times)

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
Funny Burnt Petrol smell
« on: 16 January 2007, 18:45:56 »

Ok,

I have got a wierd burnt petrol smell when i first get into the car i had a problem with the heater controls a little while back (as in they were completely perished). I got some new ones but both the hiss from the vac pipes and the smell remain. I do not get the smell whilst the car is running only after it has been turned off and sitting for a while. Also when i took the stereo out there was fluid on the top of the head unit which smelt exactly the same as the smell in the car. Anyone got any suggestions?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Funny Burnt Petrol smell
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2007, 19:09:29 »

Ok,

I have got a wierd burnt petrol smell when i first get into the car i had a problem with the heater controls a little while back (as in they were completely perished). I got some new ones but both the hiss from the vac pipes and the smell remain. I do not get the smell whilst the car is running only after it has been turned off and sitting for a while. Also when i took the stereo out there was fluid on the top of the head unit which smelt exactly the same as the smell in the car. Anyone got any suggestions?

Fluid on top of the headunit!?  :o

The heater matrix is the only thing around that area, that could leak.

This smell, is it like the smell of exhaust fumes when the car is running rich?

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2007, 19:13:18 »

Yeah the smell is like the car is running rich and the vac pipes are hissing again.

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2007, 21:57:06 »

This is the oily coloured resedue on the head unit. The heater matrix was mentioned how do i get at it to find out if it is leaking???

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2007, 00:59:01 »

Are you getting any heat out of the vents?

However I am concerned about that oily residue on the head unit cage, how is the car performance wise? Is it using any oil?

I don't like to say what it can be, as i am not really sure. A few things spring to mind, but someone who is more technical than me needs to comment really.

A few things to check though:

Open the coolant header tank (carefully its pressurised) see my coolant flush guide if your unsure on which tank this is. As soon as the lid is off, stick your nose in there. See if you can smell anything similar to the rich petrol smell you get in the car.

Check the oil level before and after a drive, see if its using any. - Also check under the oil filler cap to make sure its all normal (no mayo)

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2007, 01:16:36 »

I had a look at the oil  little while ago and there was no problem i will check again in the morning from what i remember when i last topped up the water it just smelled like anti freeze. There is definatly a leak of something nasty there somewhere. I hope it is not the head gaskets as i just had one replacedwhen the garage badly fitted a timing belt and had to replace 2 valves.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2007, 08:50:10 »

I suspect two things which I would check out first.

1) The one way valve on the vac tank on top of the pollen filter may be faulty.

2) The vac selsector setup on the heater direction controls is leaking or not connected correctly....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.