Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dunlop tyres  (Read 1297 times)

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Dunlop tyres
« on: 19 October 2007, 15:25:44 »

I know this is another tyre thread!!  but can anyone give me any feedback on Dunlop SP9000 tyres, thinking of getting a couple for my 2.2.
Cheers Pete

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Dunlop tyres
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2007, 15:51:40 »

We've had a few sets, grip very well but wear terribly. Didn't see much more than 10 - 12k out of the back of our facelift estate.

One neat design is that they have the 'rim protector' which stops your alloys getting damaged if you happen to kiss the kerb. Not bad but i'd want better for the money  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2007, 22:20:52 »

Probably overkill on 2.2

I use them on the MV6, and have for nearly 4yrs (crickey, that must be nearly 2k worth of rubber!)

Decent grip, medium tyre noise (235/45 so never silent), 15k from a set ::)
« Last Edit: 19 October 2007, 22:21:41 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2007, 11:49:41 »

Do you find them better with respect to the old tramlining issue experienced with some tyres?
Cheers Pete

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2007, 17:47:44 »

I had a set on my BMW 540i and they worked well, bearing in mind that it's putting 286 BHP through the rear wheels I was quite impressed with them. Wear seemed OK but I didn't have the car long enough to have to replace them, so I'm not sure how many miles they would have lasted.

We've had a few sets, grip very well but wear terribly. Didn't see much more than 10 - 12k out of the back of our facelift estate.

One neat design is that they have the 'rim protector' which stops your alloys getting damaged if you happen to kiss the kerb. Not bad but i'd want better for the money  :y

You consider that poor? I'd be well pleased if I can get 12k out of a pair of rear tyres on a big RWD car.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2007, 19:53:38 »

I had a set on my BMW 540i and they worked well, bearing in mind that it's putting 286 BHP through the rear wheels I was quite impressed with them. Wear seemed OK but I didn't have the car long enough to have to replace them, so I'm not sure how many miles they would have lasted.

You consider that poor? I'd be well pleased if I can get 12k out of a pair of rear tyres on a big RWD car.

Really? I would want a LOT more than 12k out of a pair of tyres, on any car!!!!!

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2007, 19:56:13 »

Pirelli P7's on my 2.2 - good for 20k, grippy, quiet and extra side wall strength for corner stability.

Fitted as standard when new and now found on many big Volvo's

£150 at Quif Fit - £85 at my local tyrefitter's  :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2007, 20:42:16 »

Really? I would want a LOT more than 12k out of a pair of tyres, on any car!!!!!
If you drive like grandad, you should see many more miles.  If you use the power, or throw it round corners, they will wear quicker...   ...or go for rock hard tyres with less grip.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2007, 22:25:59 »

If you drive like grandad, you should see many more miles.  If you use the power, or throw it round corners, they will wear quicker...   ...or go for rock hard tyres with less grip.

Tunnie tyres ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2007, 22:27:23 »

Tunnie tyres ;D

Tunnie's Dad's tyres are good for 50,000  :o
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2007, 22:29:11 »

Tunnie tyres ;D

Oh no they are not - they are cracked to hell. I wouldn't drive it above 30mph...
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2007, 22:51:35 »

Tunnie tyres ;D

Oh no they are not - they are cracked to hell. I wouldn't drive it above 30mph...

Neither does he....and only on carpet  ;)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2007, 20:11:19 »

I wouldn't recommend a WRX then... mine chewed through a set of tyres in 6k, and that was all 4 being AWD!

Still lots better than my R1 which eats a rear tyre every 1200 miles (no joke, and I know people who get even less). Not fun when they're well over £100 each. Sports bike tyres are generally a lot softer than car tyres though.

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2007, 20:47:09 »

I wouldn't recommend a WRX then... mine chewed through a set of tyres in 6k, and that was all 4 being AWD!

Still lots better than my R1 which eats a rear tyre every 1200 miles (no joke, and I know people who get even less). Not fun when they're well over £100 each. Sports bike tyres are generally a lot softer than car tyres though.

On a 600 I owned

Original front 2500, rear 1500
Pirelli rear 1000 tread fell off
Michelin radials (better tan al above for grip) 4000 front 5000 rear
and so on 4000 and 5000

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2007, 22:47:41 »

On a 600 I owned

Original front 2500, rear 1500
Pirelli rear 1000 tread fell off
Michelin radials (better tan al above for grip) 4000 front 5000 rear
and so on 4000 and 5000
My ZX10 I have to run on dual compound due to the dual carriageway miles it does. That helps me get about 4k off the rear, and about double off the front.

A knackered 1st to 2nd syncmesh means it doesn't get launch starts, which also helps...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.