Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My gearbox is planning something!  (Read 963 times)

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
My gearbox is planning something!
« on: 22 May 2008, 14:00:44 »

Ever since I had my 98 2.5 manual reflection the gearbox has been noisy. If you swing your head under the car at idle it's rattling like a goodun. Can't really hear it above or in the car though. And it's not heat shields or anything it's been up on the ramps to check.

Well I've been living with it as it changes gear fine (a little notchy but positive and tight, maybe how it should be?) but yesterday I pinned a rumble I get to it. I thought maybe tyres/alignment first but it happens in third at low speed and always in fifth at 60mph. A really low frequency rumble like something's out of balance.
If you drop the clutch or even change gear at the same speed it disappears. I've changed the fluid, just wondering if anyone has heard of this or might know what it is, and is it going to lock up and kill me?

Phil

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: My gearbox is planning something!
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2008, 14:06:01 »

I'm no expert on this in any way ... especially since I only have 2 pedals ...

BUT ... IIRC all miggy's have a Dual Mass Flywheel ... designed to actually reduce this sort of vibration/noise ... I wonder if that is the source of your problem, rather than the gearbox itself ??

http://www.luk.com/content.luk.de/en/products/clutch_systems_new/zms_new/zms_new.jsp

HTH - probably won't ....  :(

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2008, 14:50:14 »

I had something similar and bought a second-hand dual mass flywheel and gearbox in preparation for the worst.

What had happened in my case was the clutch driven plate (which is pretty heavy) had snapped the drive bands. As a clutch kit is a friction plate and a driven plate all I needed was a clutch replacement (£120 for LUK, OEM part).

These two parts should not come apart...see the snapped strap (with the square end). Should be 3 pairs of these, I think all but one had failed and that failed when I took the clutch out....

Changing the clutch actually wasn't that bad either but you do need two people.

If you get stuck I've a 2.5 manual gearbox and dual mass flywheel sitting in my garage and I live in Bristol (and work in Newport). A new flywheel is about £700 and pattern ones don't seem to exist. The one I have is a bit worn but I think it's servicable.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2008, 15:09:30 »

My mate runs a gearbox overhaul company and it did surprise me the amount of so called gearbox problems which have been caused by DMF's. In fact a few clutch kit companys now list clutch kits as four parts not 3 bits anymore.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

Phil B

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2008, 16:47:04 »

Thanks for the input guys.

JasonH I think you offered me the gearbox before, I live Chepstow way but work in Cwmbran so I might take you up on that if I need it.

Interesting reading about the dual mass flywheel, does anyone know what actually goes on them?
Any other experiences of these symptoms?

Cheers
Phil

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2008, 19:59:01 »

The dual mass flywheels are two heavy discs with some springy bit in between - the spring bit gradually gets softer giving more play and I guess eventually the spring fails...

A DMF is about 15kg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.