Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10Amp 12V supply and Earthing points  (Read 1334 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
10Amp 12V supply and Earthing points
« on: 19 November 2008, 13:24:18 »

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread!

1) Where is the best Earth / 0V point in the boot of a saloon and is there an easy connection point to this?

2) Where is there a permanent live somewhere around the dash / centre console area (I already have a telemute lead and a Nokia kit connected to the phone prewiring so don't want to overload that particular circuit), the supply lead has a 10 Amp fuse in-line (but the spec sheet says max current draw is 690mA????).

I know the rear accesory socket must be rated to 10 Amps (unless the calculation of W = V x A has changed since I went to school!  ;D) but it's on the multitimer so drops to 0 after 10 mins or so.....

Thanks
Andy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: 10Amp 12V supply and Earthing points
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2008, 10:24:24 »

Main chassis ground point for the vehicle loom at the rear is behind the plastic slam panel at the rear of the boot, to the passenger side, IIRC.

However, assuming you're installing Audio / Radio gear you would be better off putting a grounding point close to the equipment rather than running a long wire.

There is a live feed to the towing connector at the rear of the car which is probably good for up to 20 amps. Again, it's under the slam panel, driver's side this time.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2008, 15:55:35 »

Main chassis ground point for the vehicle loom at the rear is behind the plastic slam panel at the rear of the boot, to the passenger side, IIRC.

However, assuming you're installing Audio / Radio gear you would be better off putting a grounding point close to the equipment rather than running a long wire.

There is a live feed to the towing connector at the rear of the car which is probably good for up to 20 amps. Again, it's under the slam panel, driver's side this time.

Kevin

Although a good earth point for most things, it would be totally unsuitable for anything audio related, where the best place is a big self tapper through the floor close to a suspension turret.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2008, 23:09:08 »

Thanks both, the equipment is a GSM/PCN transceiver which I have located in the Bose shelf, the loom is standard Motorola hence the 0v is presented at the transceiver (rear of car) end of the loom and the +12V and ignition switched +12V are at the Handset / data (front of car) end of the loom.

Technically I know I should connect directly, with an in-line fuse as close as possible, to the battery but I was hoping there would be a suitable circuit available to avoid having to route through the bulkhead.....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2008, 23:41:31 »

Thanks both, the equipment is a GSM/PCN transceiver which I have located in the Bose shelf, the loom is standard Motorola hence the 0v is presented at the transceiver (rear of car) end of the loom and the +12V and ignition switched +12V are at the Handset / data (front of car) end of the loom.

Technically I know I should connect directly, with an in-line fuse as close as possible, to the battery but I was hoping there would be a suitable circuit available to avoid having to route through the bulkhead.....

I wouldn't route the negative back to the battery. Connect it to chassis at the rear end. Is there a grounding point under the Bose shelf?

.. or are you saying you'd rather power it from something already at the rear of the car? In which case for this application I'd say the 12v feed to the towing connector would be fine. It's a permanent live though, IIRC, and you might need to install the fuse that feeds it in the fuse box (can't remember which one off the top of my head).

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2008, 23:59:28 »

Sorry, it's the other way round! The 0v tail is at the rear end of the loom - so it's in the boot. the +12V inputs are at the other end of the loom at the front of the car (which is what I meant when I said about connecting direct to the battery). Sorry for the confusion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.