Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: French take to the streets !  (Read 761 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
French take to the streets !
« on: 07 September 2010, 12:19:08 »

Don't you just love the way the French protest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11204528

Interesting they are thinking of raising the age you can retire from 60 to 62. with state pensiion remaining at 65.  Quite right in my view that they should protest.

I am underwhelmed by the prospect of being robbed of at least one if not more years of state pension having made my contributions. After tax that is about £75 a week for however many years just because of (bankers) greed.

I can't see us Brits protesting in the same way! ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

mantahatch

Re: French take to the streets !
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2010, 12:58:11 »

Yes I just love the way the French have the ability to stick together in these situations.
That said they really annoy me when they block the channel ports, I mean do they ever block the German or Spanish borders ?

On the whole I intend to retire between 60 and 65. Well when I say retire I of course mean go long term sick.  :y

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2010, 17:11:55 »

France (like many countries) has been living beyond its means, spending money it hasnt yet earned. It is getting a reality check just like we are. It also has a large ageing population who are living longer than previous generations, therefore the money wont be there to keep the earlier retirement promises, which probably shouldnt have been made in the first place.
Fact is they will either have to work longer, or save more for retirement while they are working.
Only other possibility I can see is that the UK could pay more into the EU, which could then be given to the French workers so they can still have 2 hours for lunch every day and still retire at 60. :y :D
« Last Edit: 07 September 2010, 17:20:49 by albitz »

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2010, 17:18:58 »

:y good for the French, it's about time we started acting like them instead of putting up with all the bulls**t we have to take from our lying treacherous coniving "leaders" these people treat us with barely disguised contempt  >:( >:(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2010, 17:55:16 »

When i lived there everyday there was a manif or greve.  It was only when the RATP or SNCf went on strike that you felt it.  The one hour commute by train into Paris became a 4 hour drive each way.  At least when you had forewarning you could do something about it by setting off early but sometimes there were wildcat strikes, they hurt  >:(

Only when you have the ok from your union were you able to strike, alas the Technical and Scientific Union was rather pathetic  ::)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2010, 19:14:48 »

Don't you just love the way the French protest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11204528

Interesting they are thinking of raising the age you can retire from 60 to 62. with state pensiion remaining at 65.  Quite right in my view that they should protest.

I am underwhelmed by the prospect of being robbed of at least one if not more years of state pension having made my contributions. After tax that is about £75 a week for however many years just because of (bankers) greed.

I can't see us Brits protesting in the same way! ;D ;D

Varche, this is an apparently valid and effective means for the disgruntled to get their point across.

In practical terms however large groups on the street, acting in concert, can result in consequences other than those intended.

I have - with others - dealt with many such public demonstrations and can say, as a result of bitter experience, that this method of protest can rapidly be hijacked by those who have an entirely different agenda to that of the protesters.

Mysteryman

« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2010, 19:43:31 »

I think everyone should marry someone at least 20 years younger than themselves. Then they could be kept by their working partner in old age. When your partner reaches pension age, you'll be dead, so only one old person to look after instead of two.

Next problem. ::)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2010, 23:03:38 »

I think everyone should marry someone at least 20 years younger than themselves. Then they could be kept by their working partner in old age. When your partner reaches pension age, you'll be dead, so only one old person to look after instead of two.

Sounds like a plan....... :y

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2010, 23:12:47 »

How about legalising Polygamy in the UK? With the proviso that the second wife must be 18 years of age & all subsequent wives  be no more than 1 year older than the last? Now that really would a step in the right direction! (says he, hiding the lappy screen from the general direction of wife No.1!!! ::)) :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Nickbat

« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2010, 23:19:49 »

Job done for me, then.   :y :y :D

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2010, 23:26:34 »

How about legalising Polygamy in the UK? With the proviso that the second wife must be 18 years of age & all subsequent wives  be no more than 1 year older than the last? Now that really would a step in the right direction! (says he, hiding the lappy screen from the general direction of wife No.1!!! ::)) :y

;D
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2010, 23:51:55 »

Can't say much, but it does seem to be accepted in some cultures in this country today....I have evidence.. :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.