Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Water, Water, Everywhere.  (Read 2482 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Water, Water, Everywhere.
« on: 05 January 2024, 19:32:34 »

Lots of flooding around the country after yesterday's heavy rain on top of a few weeks of wet weather.  :-\  I know that we've had plenty of rain recently, but it hasn't exactly been biblical. Fairly typical for the time of year?  ???

I wonder how much of this flooding is caused by poor maintenance though, councils not clearing blocked drains and farmers not digging ditches etc?  ??? 

I was out and about yesterday in the rain and pretty much every gateway had a small river pouring off the field over the road and I saw a small culvert entrance by the side of the road that looked as though it was overwhelmed by the amount of water, but going by today, it was still overflowing even though the water had reduced to a relative trickle so it was clearly blocked.  ::)

Ten years ago when the Somerset Levels flooded badly, there was a lot of talk about the lack of dredging in the River Parrett and the network of canals, drains, and ditches that take the water out to the Bristol Channel, and that it was at least a contributory factor.  ::)

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I guess it's more convenient to blame climate change?  :-\   :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Water, Water, Everywhere.
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2024, 19:33:51 »

Hosepipe ban next week
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2024, 19:46:10 »

Cynical or not, it's a valid question...
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2024, 19:58:43 »

Lots of flooding around the country after yesterday's heavy rain on top of a few weeks of wet weather.  :-\  I know that we've had plenty of rain recently, but it hasn't exactly been biblical. Fairly typical for the time of year?  ???

I wonder how much of this flooding is caused by poor maintenance though, councils not clearing blocked drains and farmers not digging ditches etc?  ??? 

I was out and about yesterday in the rain and pretty much every gateway had a small river pouring off the field over the road and I saw a small culvert entrance by the side of the road that looked as though it was overwhelmed by the amount of water, but going by today, it was still overflowing even though the water had reduced to a relative trickle so it was clearly blocked.  ::)

Ten years ago when the Somerset Levels flooded badly, there was a lot of talk about the lack of dredging in the River Parrett and the network of canals, drains, and ditches that take the water out to the Bristol Channel, and that it was at least a contributory factor.  ::)

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I guess it's more convenient to blame climate change?  :-\   :-X
"councils not clearing blocked drains and farmers not digging ditches"
PLUS
Building thousands of houses on "flood plains" with tiny or no gardens , 2 car parking spaces
all of which have to have "soak away" fresh water drains ,rather than sending water to treatment plants,
poorly designed drainage on new developments,
roads not swept , so debris block drains

If we all buy electric cars and stop eating meat , maybe all the flooding won't happen  :P

I've driven 100+ miles EXTRA this week to avoid flooded roads  :(
HS2 works diversions have added 40+ miles per week for the last year  >:(
good job my Omega does a healthy 24MPG  >:D
I used to get less MPG ,but now i can't drive fast enough due to traffic jams  ::)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2024, 20:05:51 »

Just seen Tewkesbury on the TV, we were there earlier this year en route to Devon with the caravan, decided to break the journey up rather than do it all in one hit, SWMBO couldn't reach the electric hook up as it was so high up because of the flood risk, the site is just along the road from the abbey & on the news it looks more like a resovir , must be totally heartbreaking for homeowners who are affected.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2024, 20:11:11 »

The Somerset levels have been flooded since the end of November. The river and fields in/around Ilchester are as high as I've seen them for 20 years. Much of the airfield at RNAS Yeovilton is underwater. The A37 north of Yeovil has contraflow traffic lights due to flooding.

But you don't hear us complain. Because we're nowhere near a city and no-one gives a fvck till Surry gets a bit damp.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2024, 22:37:03 »

………..
Building thousands of houses on "flood plains" ………………

The town where I live has its own moat for most of the year. The bypass was raised up as the surrounding fields can be as high as six feet under water, and developers have just submitted planning for another three hundred and fifty houses ……. on land that’s currently six feet under water.  ::)  The Esso garage on the roundabout in Thame was built on land that was regularly six feet under water.
I’ve never known the roads in and around the town to be so bad, I’ve had to turn around on roads that are normally not too bad and take alternative routes.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2024, 22:45:07 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2024, 07:03:11 »

………..
Building thousands of houses on "flood plains" ………………

The town where I live has its own moat for most of the year. The bypass was raised up as the surrounding fields can be as high as six feet under water, and developers have just submitted planning for another three hundred and fifty houses ……. on land that’s currently six feet under water.  ::)  The Esso garage on the roundabout in Thame was built on land that was regularly six feet under water.
I’ve never known the roads in and around the town to be so bad, I’ve had to turn around on roads that are normally not too bad and take alternative routes.
Same thing up here. On the local news last night it showed a newly formed lake and told us how planning permission had been put in for 300 houses.
Diesel till I die

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2024, 10:20:25 »

River Severn by me peaked at 7.2 M  , its fed by the Teme at Worcester so that makes it worse. All that Welsh sunshine , have known it worse as one year all the roads out of town were closed for 2 days and I couldnt get to work (shame!). Severn takes a while to go down, said on local radio this morning it is the slowest river to return to normal. Sister lives in the cottage they bought a few years ago and have rebuilt, its on an island surrounded by the Severn and you have to walk over lock gates to get to it. Sunday it was 6ins over the walkway and it ended up a good 4ins up the door flood barrier, pump has stopped it coming under the floor.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2024, 11:10:20 »

I think the issue is more with the seemingly never ending desire to build thousands of houses everywhere, which now means building on flood plains.  It would appear, from recent dealings, all the developer has to do is dig a trench/brook through the estate so water will flow past the new estate faster, which just causes further issues downstream.

And way do we need all these houses?  Remember, a vote for me later this year is a vote for the mass cull. That'll sort the (non-existent) housing crisis.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2024, 11:30:13 »

The Somerset levels have been flooded since the end of November. The river and fields in/around Ilchester are as high as I've seen them for 20 years. Much of the airfield at RNAS Yeovilton is underwater. The A37 north of Yeovil has contraflow traffic lights due to flooding.

But you don't hear us complain. Because we're nowhere near a city and no-one gives a fvck till Surry gets a bit damp.

When the Levels flooded badly 10 years ago a friend who lives in Bridgewater said that a couple of local fellas had been prosecuted by the Environment Agency for criminal damage, when they broke a lock on a closed sluice gate so they could open it to let the water escape.  ::)

I regularly drive the M5 and can remember thinking that all the drains, canals and rivers that go under the motorway between Taunton and Weston Super Mare, from the Levels out to the Bristol Channel should have been raging torrents taking all the floodwater away, but the water levels on all of them looked normal.  :-X  Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary recently either.  :-\

I do love a good conspiracy theory though....  :-X

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2024, 11:59:16 »

It's all a residual shit pile from the Treasonous Clunge and his ridiculous planning schemes >:(

Flood plain land is cheap to buy and easy to build. The more money the developers make the higher the kick backs and bolax to the poor schmucks* who buy them.

Sympathy is limited as due diligence would highlight the fact that the field where your shiny new house floats was underwater three months of the year, and has been since the dawn of time. And at no point did they stop to consider why the once single track dual carriageway that takes them to their drive is actually called Reed Lane or Dyke Road :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2024, 12:01:13 »

That was a bit of a rant but just seen the Guardian blaming Rishi for the flooding. Opposing freaking morons >:(

He's not perfect but he isn't responsible for shit that was decided when he was at school. Or, for that matter, the weather.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2024, 12:14:42 by Doctor Gollum »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2024, 13:18:13 »

So we're all in agreement  :y
It's those greedy loathsome  Builders
I bet they live in a bunker ,HIGH up on the top of a hill ,with ZERO chance of flooding  >:D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2024, 13:25:11 »

So we're all in agreement  :y
It's those greedy loathsome  Builders
I bet they live in a bunker ,HIGH up on the top of a hill ,with ZERO chance of flooding  >:D
That sounds like a confession... Do you require a priest? :D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.