Chat Area > General Discussion Area

What happens to Lithium Fires on planes...

(1/6) > >>

Doctor Gollum:
Basically, the offending item gets unplugged if plugged in, smothered using a BCF fire extinguisher, and them put into a toilet bin or galley canister and flooded with water to cool it somewhat.

It then gets popped into a toilet and monitored for the rest of the flight. Toilet compartments being largely fireproof and fitted with a smoke detector.

Any hold fire is suppressed by the hold fire systems, and immediately diverted, followed by a potential evacuation.

So that's that ;)

TheBoy:
And what if it's the Dreamliner's own batteries.....

(Though I believe Boeing have mostly overcome that now).

As a pleb passenger, I have noticed the inconsistencies of airlines when it comes to lithium batteries.  Obviously, many electronics devices like phones, tablets, laptops, watches, electric razors, cordless hair straighteners and so on are lithium...   ...but do owners know?

Also, airlines seem to be inconsistent in the maximum capacity battery they allow - some being 100kWhr, some being 150, some not even stating it.

Some will allow any size if its an appliance. ie, I'm not allowed to take a >100kWhr battery on a plane, but if I wire an LED up to it so it becomes a torch, I can.

Doctor Gollum:

--- Quote from: TheBoy on 01 August 2022, 08:27:39 ---And what if it's the Dreamliner's own batteries.....

(Though I believe Boeing have mostly overcome that now).

As a pleb passenger, I have noticed the inconsistencies of airlines when it comes to lithium batteries.  Obviously, many electronics devices like phones, tablets, laptops, watches, electric razors, cordless hair straighteners and so on are lithium...   ...but do owners know?

Also, airlines seem to be inconsistent in the maximum capacity battery they allow - some being 100kWhr, some being 150, some not even stating it.

Some will allow any size if its an appliance. ie, I'm not allowed to take a >100kWhr battery on a plane, but if I wire an LED up to it so it becomes a torch, I can.

--- End quote ---
The above is purely what you do for a Portable Electronic Device issue. In the cabin.

What happens under the floor is largely SEP...

ie Someone Else's Problem. Until the time comes to get off.  :D

TheBoy:
But it would be nice if airlines banged their heads together an had some consistency, as more and more people will be taking larger and larger batteries on board...   ...and usually in cabin luggage, as thats what most airlines seem to (understandably) want.

LC0112G:
I carry on a camera bag, containing 3 cameras each with their own 1800mAh battery, and typically 6 spare batteries. They're nominally 7.2V. That's about 16Ah , or 120Kw of lithium waiting to go up in smoke. They're all in the same bag, so if one goes up it'll take the others with it shortly thereafter.

IATA says this : https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea26dd84d24b26a7a1fd5788561d6e/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

Looks like IATA allows you to carry up to 20 separate batteries in hand luggage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version