Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Energy price cap.

(1/6) > >>

Migv6 le Frog Fan:
Just gone up by 80% (again) to over£3500. And is expected to take another massive hike at the start of Winter !
I have heard TV commentators for years rolling out the old cliche about people having to choose between heating and eating and never really bought into it.
Few if any in this country have genuinely had to make that choice imo.
Now though, I can see that people will have to start making that choice. Even people who do full time jobs, but dont earn a great deal of money.
People who were paying £100 per month last year will be paying £100 per week, or more, by the start of next year.
Can it really carry on like this ?
Perhaps the Govt need to decide that it is actually an emergency situation caused to a large extent by the war in Ukraine, and use even more borrowing to limit bills to affordable levels ?  :-\
If they have any kind of backbone whatsoever, the very least they should do is suspend the green levy until some normality returns to the energy market.
I saw a prediction yesterday of inflation hitting 18% early next year.
With all and sundry going out on strike at the moment, we have suddenly returned to the 1970,s.
For this to happen under a Tory Govt. with a huge majority is shameful.
Those of us old enough to remember how the chaos of the 1970,s was cured by a Tory Govt. with a huge majority can only look at this lot and despair.

LC0112G:

--- Quote from: Migv6 le Frog Fan on 26 August 2022, 10:34:34 ---.....until some normality returns to the energy market.

--- End quote ---

I suspect this IS the new normality. What makes you think the price of gas is going to return to anything like its previous level?

The price of a barrel of oil has hovered between $50 and $150 for the past 50 years. It's currently $100 ish, which isn't that much different to before COVID. Yet the price of a gallon of petrol?

The market can adsorb short term spikes in commodity prices, but if a problem persists for more than a few weeks, the inflationary effects get baked in to the price, and no matter what you do the price won't return to its pre-problem level.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:
I hear....

£3549 in October.
£5387 in January 2023.
£6616 in April 2023.

:-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:

--- Quote from: Migv6 le Frog Fan on 26 August 2022, 10:34:34 ---Just gone up by 80% (again) to over£3500. And is expected to take another massive hike at the start of Winter !
I have heard TV commentators for years rolling out the old cliche about people having to choose between heating and eating and never really bought into it.
Few if any in this country have genuinely had to make that choice imo.
Now though, I can see that people will have to start making that choice. Even people who do full time jobs, but dont earn a great deal of money.
People who were paying £100 per month last year will be paying £100 per week, or more, by the start of next year.
Can it really carry on like this ?
Perhaps the Govt need to decide that it is actually an emergency situation caused to a large extent by the war in Ukraine, and use even more borrowing to limit bills to affordable levels ?  :-\
If they have any kind of backbone whatsoever, the very least they should do is suspend the green levy until some normality returns to the energy market.
I saw a prediction yesterday of inflation hitting 18% early next year.
With all and sundry going out on strike at the moment, we have suddenly returned to the 1970,s.
For this to happen under a Tory Govt. with a huge majority is shameful.
Those of us old enough to remember how the chaos of the 1970,s was cured by a Tory Govt. with a huge majority can only look at this lot and despair.

--- End quote ---

Tory government for the last 12 years. Eighty seats to play with.

Boris is/was asleep at the wheel and in reality is more of a wishy-washy liberal.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:
£1277 in October last year.

So almost a 200% rise in the last 12 months. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version