Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another MOT pass  (Read 3063 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Another MOT pass
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2023, 21:27:33 »

Or......just make the most of another 12 months driving it and hope, next year, that the tester puts down exactly the same advisories. A lot of them do.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2023, 22:05:28 »

Well a pass is a pass and at least it gives some time to get the car repaired.  :y

As others have said, and through personal experience (the project car has had sills, rear arches and chassis legs repaired over the years i've owned it) the rust noted on the advisory is a far bigger problem than the MOT might suggest, that's not to say it can't be sorted because it can, but you have to make a decision about how good a repair is to be performed, how much you are prepared to spend and thus how long you are expecting to keep the car for.

The front chassis leg rots from the inside out around the steering box location, it also rots out around the engine subframe strengthening mount points. Any Omega now needs to have all the known locations (the list is growing!) for rust checked regularly because spending money on the larger service tasks such as cambelts etc on these vehicles at this age could be wasted money.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2023, 22:19:57 »

to be honest its the availability of cambelt kits, sensors ,gaskets,control modules that are the real issue to me in the future. they are what will become harder to find and fix.
rust repair is just dismantling time,cut and replace.free if you do it yourself (or that can kill a car money wise if you pay someone to do it !)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2023, 23:58:38 »

You're such a cheerful sod!  ;D

He is ;D ;D

Yes, thanks Sir Tigger.  All I care about is I’ve got the car baring any misfortunes for another year.
I will in any case take it to an excellent body shop near me and get an expert opinion.  The MOT tester treated it as a minor advisory, that eventually should be dealt with.  It’s been like that for three years, so I am not panicking! What will be will be.  It is only a car. ;)
It’s not a question of being cheerful or not, but if it's been an advisory for 3+ years, it will 'suddenly' become a fail.

Modern cars are deceptive... They start on demand, don't leave you stranded every thousand miles and can be depended on. But you have to understand that a 20 year old anything will require time, effort and money spending on it to keep it up to scratch.

The Omega design has visually aged well, but unless you're prepared to start putting time/money into it, then you may as well trade it in for a 3-5 year old appliance or accept that it is worth nowt and drive it into the ground.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2023, 09:50:16 »

Congratulations Lizzie, I would spend a bit of cash having the advisories repaired properly and enjoy a bit more time with a lovely vehicle, I regret to this day selling mine pound for pound it was the best value car that I've ever owned.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2023, 10:46:53 »

Congratulations Lizzie, I would spend a bit of cash having the advisories repaired properly and enjoy a bit more time with a lovely vehicle, I regret to this day selling mine pound for pound it was the best value car that I've ever owned.

Thanks Rangie :y

Yes, I intend to get the professionals on this so the repair / replacement is up to a good standard.  If the cost is prohibitive, then I will just do the best I can do with a DIY repair to get another year or three out of her.  But with so little else wrong with my car it is still worth spending some cash up to a point to make her last as long as possible.  Yes, I love my Omega and it is the best car I have ever owned.  When she goes I will be upset :'( :'( :'(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2023, 11:02:03 »

Agreed!  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2023, 11:14:53 »

I have half an eye on a ULEZ compliant one, but not sure that I can face owning another Omega, as capable as they are.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2023, 14:35:56 »

I have half an eye on a ULEZ compliant one, but not sure that I can face owning another Omega, as capable as they are.

This is a big consideration when looking for a new car, as ULEZ or Clean Air Zones will spread around the country like a plague.  ::)  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2023, 16:35:25 »

The trouble is that post 2008 cars of interest are mostly diesel.

So if choosing a Euro4 petrol car, then you may as well buy something more interesting than an auto desmond :-\

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2023, 17:48:50 »

So if choosing a Euro4 petrol car, then you may as well buy something more interesting than an auto desmond :-\
2.6 and 3.2 after a certain date are compliant apart from Lundon  :-\
My 2.6 is no charge for Birminum ,Bristol etc , not that i want to go to those places  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2023, 18:09:27 »

2.6 and 3.2 after a certain date are compliant apart from Lundon  :-\
My 2.6 is no charge for Birminum ,Bristol etc , not that i want to go to those places  :P
Essentially '52/03 on which limits the field somewhat... And with the best will in the world even a nice Omega will eventually rust out if used daily. And there simply isn't the availability to chance it.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2023, 07:03:00 »

This is a big consideration when looking for a new car, as ULEZ or Clean Air Zones will spread around the country like a plague.  ::)  :(

Not just Britain, all over Europe for those of you adventurous enough. We already have to be careful . All towns in Spain over 50,000 people have to have a scheme in place by end of 2023. The schemes aren’t even uniform over Europe. I need to get a sticker - only 6 euros. Yet another nail in the going gone golden age of motoring!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 February 2023, 11:24:43 »

Not just Britain, all over Europe for those of you adventurous enough. We already have to be careful . All towns in Spain over 50,000 people have to have a scheme in place by end of 2023. The schemes aren’t even uniform over Europe. I need to get a sticker - only 6 euros. Yet another nail in the going gone golden age of motoring!

Yes indeed, owning and driving an electric car will be a completely different experience which at my age will be for the young, not me unless my Omega and me is defeated by rust!! :'( :'( :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 February 2023, 12:23:02 »

My Omega is ULEZ compliant, as is the C1. The Boxster isnt, but if I send of to Porsche UK for some paperwork, and register it, then it would be, despite being almost 23 years old.
Te whole thing is a con. Just a money spinner for Kahn to try and fill some of the black holes in his budget.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.