Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring LPG (One for Martin?)  (Read 1456 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Transferring LPG (One for Martin?)
« on: 31 January 2007, 20:08:56 »

Ok, to cut a long story short, I have an almost useless Omega, with a potentially expensive LPG conversion on it. If I can't get this car running and MOT'd cheaply, then I am definately going to cut my losses with the car. But what I would want to do, is remove the LPG kit, and transfer the LPG kit onto a much better 2.0.

Now, I've got pretty reasonable DIY mechanical skills - electrics not quite so hot. My only experience of LPG is when I re-fitted the underslung tanks and renewed some pipes on my Range Rover last year.

My question is - is this transfer something I could do myself, and if not - is it something you'd be happy to lend a hand with Martin?

Given that the LPG is allegedly set up and working on it's current engine, would any such setting up be required on the car it gets transferred to, or is just a case of plugging in all the kit and off you go?

Seeing as it's going from one 2.0 Omega to another 2.0 Omega, would it be easier to just take the whole inlet manifold across, to save drilling fresh holes and disturbing the LPG injectors (or whatever they are)?

What complications could we potentially enconter?

What's it like drilling the rear panel for the filler cap? I'd be way to scared to balls up the hole and ruin the panel!!!

Pipework is not a problem, I can get reels of it from Blaze Autogas in Kemble very cheap, 6mm and 8mm - and also the olives.

It would be nice to get some assurance that this is something that's easily achievable.

If I'd already stripped all the bits off, and had already done the manifold change, how long do you reckon it would take to install it into a new car?

:)
« Last Edit: 31 January 2007, 20:09:31 by JamesV6CDX »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring LPG (One for Martin?)
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2007, 20:10:38 »

One more Q - a bit off-topic -

I don't know how LPG kits work, but how feasable would it be to get some extra components, and use this kit to Gas a V6?

Guessing that would be complex, ECU may not support etc??

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2007, 22:06:42 »

Transfering is quite common as to V6 not easy as they usually have different kits for different number of cylinders. So get a good 2.0 they are OK as long as you don't expect the world from them.

Eg mine is available in 3 or 4, and 5, 6 or 8 kits.

Pipes & olives - how come you know them?

Gas filler you can either drill a hole in the rear wing panel or take the easy way out and bolt it onto the tow bar (take off the wreck) - like mine! HINT HINT! I have a suitable bracket!

Holes lots of them to drill need I think 28mm for the vents. Not sure for the panel fitted one but I will ask.

Keep EVERYTHING off the old install all nuts bolts clips ect, photo it before you dismantle. There will be a lot of wires you will need to run up to 4 wires the length of the car, any cut wires MUST be identified so we can reassemble.

If you get it here I can help I have a pipe bender, electric, jack, drive on stands, but not cover so need dry.

I reckon a few days with you doing a lot when at home taking the manifold off whole sounds good but you ought to keep the better TB and pipes.

The following may not be obvious

ECU (check pollen filter) emulator or cut injectors so check ALL cabling to petrol injectors.

Solenoids - check entire pipe run keep all fittings off the pipe.

Remember pipes at the tank including vent pipes and vent thingy

I have here

Small amount of 6mm pipe, two 6mm pipe joiners, pipe bender, pipe cutter, grommets, heat shrink, soldering kit, a good mains and a good battery drill. Tap & dye set, bracket for fitting a filler onto a tow bar.

You will require, both pipes, pipe clips, jubilee clips, what you can rescue, for tow bar the filler will be required, for panel the panel hole drill will be required, the 28mm (I think) floor hole is easier than chain drilling like I did!

I leave it here for now

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2007, 23:58:40 »

Sounds good to me Martin. Think I'll get a good 2.0. £500 should see a reasonably solid P or R reg one with a long MOT.

Like I say, I learned a few basics to do with the olives and pipes/unions because I had to put my Range Rover tanks back on (Straps corroded, Tank fell off while driving, LPG leaking!! Nearly got messy!)

Anway, I'm sure, if I were to take the Kit off, step by step, I could bring it all down your way, and I would be eternally grateful for your help in getting it sorted! :)

I guess once done, we could then look at getting your chap to certify it?

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2007, 10:37:22 »

Nixoros sounds good and may be worth a little more than usual. He has fitted better headlights already.

But dismantling the wreck seems a priority

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2007, 11:09:46 »

James, if you need any help stripping the shed i'd be more than happy to pop over and give you a hand.

Maybe not this weekend but next? I'll bring the seats down this weekend, and maybe bring them over the following weekend and we can strip the 2.0?

Btw I am going to wait for V6 springs... don't want to chance the 2.0's  :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2007, 19:25:57 »

It is an OMVL Dream system fitted mid 2005

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2007, 21:37:27 »

If it involves cutting wires, I'm not too confident removing this system :(

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2007, 22:07:24 »

Mainly unplugging and unbolting.

If you go down this route unbolt as much as possible, unplug as much as possible, you will need to chop the tank wires as they run the length of the car, but leave as much as possible at each end.

You should be able to unfeed the switch wires and most of the front end - but will need to cut the RPM wire - can you draw a diagram of what you find?

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2007, 22:40:49 »

Check your gmail account James :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2007, 23:44:46 »

Thank you so much, I will study it :)

Can't wait to get this system on a good car ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2007, 08:57:23 »

Thank you so much, I will study it :)

Can't wait to get this system on a good car ;D

I hear the OMVL Dream system likes very much being fitted to early 2.2 CD Facelifts  ;) ;D ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2007, 15:42:58 »

Martin, now you have emailed me you know what,

Do I still need to be so careful about cutting wires close to the cars loom?

I presume this will make re-fitting onto another car much much easier?

I'll be stripping it all out early next week...

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2007, 18:32:36 »

Well I will have a read first but most things are plugged, but only cut if necessary as reuse saves money!

And longer wires means less hassle in joining.

Can you photo everything as you remove it so they can be easily indentified?

You will need to cut the RPM cable but please note where it connects as I do not know if it is using RPM or coil feed.

The leads to the tank will need choping as well.

keep all the plastic hoses, also note pipe routes, I will then compare with mine. I worked out there are few routes from front to back, if it crosses the centre line I am not sure which way to go.

Martin_1962

« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2007, 19:42:56 »

Tanks

The tanks are plumbed as below.

The 8mm feed pipe is used to fill it, in the tank valve there will be a one way valve to prevent leakage back to the filler.

The 6mm feed to the engine is sealed off by a solenoid valve to shut the gas off in case of any problems and also when LPG system is off.

The tank can be purged of air by operating the solenoid while the tank is upside down.

There may be other pipe connections in the tank valve, do not mess with them, I think one of them may be a vapour take off as used for portable gas appliances (eg cooker in a camper van)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2007, 20:22:29 »

Righto Ho

If I can't get this engine to run easily on my days off, then I'm planning to definaly pull this kit off...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.