Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cruise control wiring  (Read 5023 times)

iwannacarthatworks

• moray, scotland
    • View Profile
cruise control wiring
« on: 03 February 2007, 08:55:42 »

hi, im new to omegas and decided to fit cruise to my automatic cd because it seemed so easy to do, however after 3 cruise modules in engine bay and two indicator stalks im beginning to loose patience with it. >:( the latest engine module is a new one but both indicators and 2 modules were second hand.) i have a 4 wire brake switch which i assume works because the brake light works and i even tried jumping the wires as described elsewhere. f+d but still no cruise. :-/ my next thought was to directly wire the stalk wiring to module. does anyone have any idea what wire goes where?
any help gratefully recieved
ps i checked fuses thay are all ok

V6TCR

• View Profile
Re: cruise control wiring
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2007, 14:21:26 »

Hi

I seem to remember that the cruise control needs to be enabled with the tech 2 gadget by Vauxhall. I don't know all the details but someone with the knowledge will be along soon with the answer. Sorry I can't help more

iwannacarthatworks

• moray, scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2007, 17:23:30 »

ah, :o thanks for that. is that expensive, anyone know?

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2007, 21:34:00 »

The 2.5 doesn't need enabling by Vauxhall. Only the drive by wire engines need enabling but they don't need a module. I take it you have pulled the brake switch connector off to make sure there are 4 pins from the switch as well as 4 wires from the socket. Does the stalk have the 4 wire plug as well, there is a 2 wire version.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2007, 21:38:00 by rpont »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2007, 21:51:34 »

Yes, 4 wire stalks for Vx engines, 2 wire for BMW 25TD unit.  Do you have correct stalk?
Grumpy old man

iwannacarthatworks

• moray, scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2007, 23:09:51 »

hi, yes there is 4 wires in a multiplug. i tried two stalks with 4 wires and even had 1 in bits to make sure it was connecting and still nothing. there is  4 pin brakelight switch and 4 wire multiplug as well. i am at a loss as to why it wont work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2007, 10:24:28 »

Bowden cable not snapped or jammed?  Failing that, speed signal to actuator unit not getting there (I'd have to look at diagrams to find where it comes from, but utimately ABS unit)...
Grumpy old man

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2007, 16:21:47 »

Here are a few things to check if you have not already done so:

According to the Haynes book the autobox bypasses the clutch switch.  Just a thought, but are you sure that the autobox is doing this? (By pass the clutch switch anyway? just a whit multiplug taped to the loom near the brake switch)

Make sure that the cruise cable has not disconnected from the yellow cable going into the actuator - basically try to take the cable sheath off the actuator - if it only moves a half inch from the actuator and you have resistance - the cable is joined.

Make sure the multi plug is pushed firmly into the cruise unit until it clicks in - takes a bit of a shove.

In the next two weeks, I will have to take my cruise module off.  When I do so I will take full pin readouts when each switch is pressed and post them here.  I cannot test the speed sensor feed at all but if you can repeat my pin readouts then you will be able to confirm that it is not your wiring and not your switch and by a process of elimination then it must be the speed signal (which sounds much more expensive to me....)
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

iwannacarthatworks

• moray, scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2007, 17:28:22 »

thanks for the tips. ill check the clutch wire tomorrow. to bypass it do i just join the wires together? sorry for being thick! there is an adjuster on the cable to the throttle half way up that i pulled up making the throttle connector a bit tighter but have not had the chance to try it out yet. does it matter if its slack or tight?
cheers for the tips

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2007, 19:48:19 »

This post may help you on the clutch switch check.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169392381

i wrote this before I installed a 4 pin brake switch and I could not get the unit to function.  As you can see, pin D on the multiplug goes +12v with the clutch switch bridged out.  I reckon it will be a lot easier to test the feed at the multiplug than to go digging for the clutch switch but if you do then you need to bridge out the terminals with a paperclip and insulation tape to prevent something nasty happening.

As soon as I can I'll get you the pin readouts from my unit that works - trouble is that I need to take the unit off to get the plug out - despite the screwdriver slot in the plug I can't seem to get it to release without taking it off.....

As to the adjusting part in the cable - sorry I've no idea what this does.  My guess is that it allow the cable to be twisted onto the actuator and then locked so that it does not undo itself.

« Last Edit: 04 February 2007, 20:15:57 by jonathanh »

iwannacarthatworks

• moray, scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2007, 15:12:21 »

hi, thanks for all the info. had a look and could not find the clutch cable wiring at all under the dash. i know there is power somewhere to the unit as i blew the fuse checking it in the engine bay. dont know what wires i touched though. also the stalk works as i tried a continuity tester on it and they worked when they should.

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2007, 15:38:47 »

o.k. the unit however has power via a number of pins on the multiplug.  The pin codes are on the top of the multiplug so you can identify them there.  

I will post up the pin readouts as soon as I can.  but in the mean time, I think that pin A is wired to the 'O' button and brake switch.  

I suspect the problem is control electrical rather than speed signal as the signal feed should be same as ABS,MID etc.  

If you want to test these then you could use a volt meter between chassis and the pin or failing that a 12v bulb - low wattage, if it lights up you have power.

Take your time and take a reading from each pin in turn with an assistant pressing the relevant switches.  If your readout is the same as mine then we can conclude that it is not a problem with either your switch or with the wiring:  this will leave  the problems as a) the actuator, b) the cable or c) the speed signal.  c) is going to the the tricky one to find/test so we'll eliminate all others first.

BTW which fuse did you blow - auto box fuse or the one for the cruise module?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2007, 16:37:45 »

You say the brake switch is a 4 pin one....I assume you have removed the connector assembly to verify this and/or fitted a new one...

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2007, 16:55:46 »

Good point:    My 4 pin brake switch looks exactly like the 2 pin one from the 'how to' AND my 2 pin switch looks exactly like the 4 pin one from the 'how to'.  

also, 2 pin brake switch means no power on pin A (I think!)

iwannacarthatworks

• moray, scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2007, 21:24:34 »

hi, i fitted a 4 pin brake switch i got off e bay. im assuming it works as the brake light works. i blew fuse 15 cruise control fuse that also knocked out the speed /temp etc dials on dash
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.