Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol or diesel?  (Read 2920 times)

Johnny English

• Omega Baron
  • Hungary
  • English antitalent
    • 1995. 2.5 V6 LPG manual
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol or diesel?
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2013, 16:38:01 »

Timeless question. Petrol with LPG of course  :y I'm afraid of using  the modern high press diesel systems as I don't really understand theirs operation...  :-[ plus they need special tools to do anything at home  :(
C20NE - X25XE

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2013, 16:38:24 »

That'll learn you for buying her a six pot twin turbo diseasel ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2013, 16:46:05 »

;D ;D :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2013, 16:54:14 »

The thing I like about petrol engines against diesels is that, if I start an overtake, planning on changing up at 5K, and it all turns into a bit of a buttock-tightener, I know I can keep it planted and I've got power all the way up to 7k (give or take a bit, depending on the car). This happened a good few times in the last 2 weeks, driving a right-hooker in Spain!

With a diesel, granted, you've got good midrange torque, but you're already using most of the rev range, and it just hits a brick wall in the above scenario.

I admit I haven't given diesels much of a chance, and it's just an adjustment of driving style I could probably make, but not sure I want to.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2013, 17:16:39 »

I know what you mean Kevin, when I was pursuing a Veccie SRI the other week, I was changing gear every minute trying to keep the revs happy and keep it going quickly. The BMWs we have hit a brick wall way too soon in my opinion even though the limiters are removed.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2013, 17:22:14 »

I know what you mean Kevin, when I was pursuing a Veccie SRI the other week, I was changing gear every minute trying to keep the revs happy and keep it going quickly. The BMWs we have hit a brick wall way too soon in my opinion even though the limiters are removed.
From what I saw a couple of weeks ago, the Volvo V70 was running circles around the two 5 Series doing passenger runs ::) visibly faster, and didn't cook it's brakes every ten minutes ::)

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2013, 17:34:46 »

Volvo V70 was running circles around the two 5 Series doing passenger runs ::) visibly faster, and didn't cook it's brakes every ten minutes    Or break down  >:( >:( >:(

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Best cop car ever!!!!

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2013, 17:54:35 »

Been window shopping, the V70 is diesel wwd only now. If you want the T6 awd, it's only available in the XC70 and is limited to 130mph. Such a waste :'(

On the plus side, BMW do a nice 5 series estate with a twin turbo v8 petrol ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2013, 18:15:14 »

Crikey :o,I know I'm getting old now as I actually prefer big diesel power delivery,as about 80% of normal driving is mid range revs its nice to have that clout of torque without having to rev the nads off it :y
Fuel economy is a bonus but I wouldn't have a V8 Discovery if I worried much about that :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2013, 22:08:13 »

I never want to be a diesel owner..

reasons :

frist noise..

second repair costs.. (here diesels are bad quality and frequently damage the pumps)

third when the thermometer points  -20 celcius ( I know some of you never see it)

but here its very usual to make this ;D

albitz

« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2013, 23:29:10 »

Ive just got 125 miles from a quarter of a tank (mostly on smallish country roads) from my "diesel" car.Cost of quarter of a tank of fuel was £6.50. :)
Still prefer a big petrol engine,ideally though.

Johnny English

• Omega Baron
  • Hungary
  • English antitalent
    • 1995. 2.5 V6 LPG manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 September 2013, 08:39:50 »

;D ;D :y

+1  ;D  ;D  ;D  :y
C20NE - X25XE

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 September 2013, 09:20:42 »

The thing I like about petrol engines against diesels is that, if I start an overtake, planning on changing up at 5K, and it all turns into a bit of a buttock-tightener, I know I can keep it planted and I've got power all the way up to 7k (give or take a bit, depending on the car). This happened a good few times in the last 2 weeks, driving a right-hooker in Spain!

With a diesel, granted, you've got good midrange torque, but you're already using most of the rev range, and it just hits a brick wall in the above scenario.

I admit I haven't given diesels much of a chance, and it's just an adjustment of driving style I could probably make, but not sure I want to.
Indeed, the clenching "rev the nads off it" to get you out of trouble doesn't work on diesels. You just have to imagine there is a rev limiter at around 4-4.5k, rather than the 6.5-7k of most petrols.

I actually quite like the diesel torque delivery, and would have no issue with having another diesel. We've had 3 previously, and I've had loads of diesel vans. Yeah, the gloves are gay, and the stuff stinks, but not enough to put me off another.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 September 2013, 09:22:09 »

third when the thermometer points  -20 celcius ( I know some of you never see it)

We used to see that in the 70s, but now they put enough anti waxing agents in winter diesel fuel here, even during the fairly cold winters we've had over the past 3 or 4 years, we've not seen waxing problems.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #29 on: 21 September 2013, 09:56:21 »

We used to see that in the 70s, but now they put enough anti waxing agents in winter diesel fuel here, even during the fairly cold winters we've had over the past 3 or 4 years, we've not seen waxing problems.

here we have a deisel named euro diesel.. have detergents and anti waxing agents .. but expensive and not preferred by truckers or ordinary diesel owners.... :-\

instead they choose the diesel brought from iraq without tax.. (illegal of course) but price nearly half ..
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.