Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offered For Sale: Turbo Diesel 2.5 CDX Saloon  (Read 1880 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Offered For Sale: Turbo Diesel 2.5 CDX Saloon
« on: 19 March 2012, 12:42:32 »

Offered for sale is a 1998 2.5 CDX Straight Six Turbo Diesel Omega Saloon in what I would describe as Dark Blue (From memory I believe it's Z144)

This car is brilliant, really brilliant, and I am in love with it.

Details are as follows:

2.5 TD 6 cylinder BMW Engine
Automatic Transmission
123,000 miles. (Approximate figure, this is in daily use and therefore rising)
MOT Until September 2012
Tax until end April 2012
Cloth interior

specification includes

WORKING air conditioning
Sunroof
Cruise Control
6 x CD Multichanger
Electric Windows x 4
And all the other CDX refinements - if you're reading this ad, chances are you know what you're looking for.

History

I bought this car a few weeks ago, because I needed some wheels pronto after the gearbox on my MV6 lunched itself. My Mv6 is now sporting a new gearbox, so the Trusty TD is now for sale. I would have liked to keep this car as a workhorse, but two lots of insurance and everything else mean this just isn't viable.

When I bought this car, it had an issue with taking a few seconds to engage first gear - but only after very heavy braking. This was a classic symptom of low gearbox oil. I topped up the gearbox (it took two litres) and this problem has not reared it's head once since then.

There are no visible leaks around the box, so can only assume the ATF had never been checked in the car's entire life. It's fine now, but am mentioning for honest's sake. I stress again - the car is my trusted daily driver at the minute, and I am going all over the shop in her.

I recently did a round trip of 440 miles down to Tatinsons place in Cornwall, never missed a beat and 40+ mpg there and back in total comfort.

Good points

Tyres all round are very good - I estimate 5mm wear on front, and 6-7mm on the rears. They don't seem to be wearing unevenly.

The engine is super. It starts without issue (no hot starting problems) and returns unbelievable MPG on a run. Not so good around town, with the Auto - but again if you're looking at this, you'll know what you're looking at.

Bodywork is very good for a preface. None of the usual rotting to make it unsightly. There is a very small amount of rust right on the inner part of a wheelarch that I saw, but you have to get on your knees to look for it. I only found it by chance when checking tyre pressures. There is an admirable dent in the boot lid though.

Handling is great. No pulling, pitching, or tramlining. (I wish my MV6 handled this well)

Both front heated seats work well.

Car has NOT been smoked in, I say this as there is no smoke smell whatsoever.

To be continued...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Offered For Sale: Turbo Diesel 2.5 CDX Saloon
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2012, 12:42:54 »

....Bad points

Before going into the bad points, I must stress this car is my daily driver and I trust it implicitely. So they are smaller points which won't affect the reliability - but you need to know about them:

* Central locking is unreliable and needs looking at.

* Airbag light is on. I wasn't told about this until I turned up to buy the car. I can see that the airbag on the passenger seat seems to have been opened/deployed, and stuffed back into it's housing. I've no idea of the circumstances around this - there is definitely no accident damage to be seen and the previous keeper wasn't aware of any accidents either. To fix, I'd imagine it would need a new seat, and the airbag light resetting. Ideal chance to upgrade to leather?

* The brakes are OK, but nowhere near as sharp as my MV6 ones. I think in honesty it is overdue a brake fluid change.

* The handbrake doesn't work. I haven't even looked into why.

* The rear exhaust box fell off, looks like the join was rusty. I've been driving it like this for, cough, 1000 miles now, and it doesn't sound any different :D - but I have to mention the exhaust needs attention. The exhaust does make a "whoosh" noise when accelerating hard without the backbox off.

* The small intake hose at the top of the engine is a little damaged and doesn't quite sit right. Because it's part of the turbo system, a very tiny fine amount of oil misting comes out of here over a period of a few weeks, and you can hear a little air escaping under turbo'd acceleration. Nothing to make the level drop or anything, very minor. Pt/No 90467872 - £13 + VAT to replace.

* The current Aux belt is at the end of it's life. I noticed when checking the levels the other day that it's fraying. It hasn't broken (yet!) but needs attention ASAP. I will replace this before purchase for cost of the belt.

* Very occasionally, when in top gear and going down a hill, when you apply the accelerator again, there feels like there is a little bit of play as the drive is taken up. Probably me being picky for an R plate car, it's never got any worse. When up and down hills I tend to just select "3".

* On two or three occasions in the last 1500 or so miles, I have gone to pull away and not been assited by the Turbo for a few seconds, and then it comes back. So rarely occurs that it's difficult to diagnose, in fact, I'd totally forgotton about it. May be that tiny leak in that pipe causing it - certainly not a serious issue. Turbo is not a complex arrangement on these, and is driven by manifold pressure I believe - at worst it would need a little lubrication.

* Dent in Boot lid.

* When you press the sport mode button, no light appears on the dash. I think it's the bulb, because the gearbox is NOT in limp mode, the snow mode works, and you can feel the sport button working when pressed.

* Radio is in SAFE mode. My fault, I pinched the battery to start my MV6 without checking I had the code. It may be in the manuals etc - I will see what I can find and update this thread.

The car is probably on it's original AR25. If you were going to chip it, you'd need to upgrade this to an AR35.

The price is £500

If you'd like me to change the auxiliary and air con belts before you collect, I will do this for the additional cost of the belts. This is the only thing that would cause a reliability concern.

Pics:

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2012, 12:48:06 »

Car appears to have the towing kit / electrical connector. I've not towed with her, so this is untested.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2012, 12:48:36 »

There is only one key with this vehicle - it's all I was supplied with.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2012, 10:57:50 »

Please can this be locked, as the TD has (sadly) been sold.

Cheers,
James
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.