Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine reliability ( Z22XE )  (Read 4468 times)

grain.ben

Engine reliability ( Z22XE )
« on: 02 July 2012, 17:28:27 »

Can anyone tell me how reliable the Z22XE (Auto AR35) is despite the cam cover leaks? (which ive just ordered the parts for)  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Engine reliability ( Z22XE )
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2012, 17:44:59 »

The AR35 was never fitted to that engine as standard, it had the AR25  :y

Engine is fairly bullet proof, they love fresh oil, much smoother with regular changes. Cam sensor known to fail, other than that very solid engines.

Mine is on 155k  :)

grain.ben

« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2012, 17:48:35 »

Sorry my mistake, AR25  ;D , what about noise? as mine, when its cold, sometimes makes a right racket, sounds like a ticking noise, but all is fine and pretty quiet when warm  :)

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2012, 17:59:08 »

Coolant maintenance on the Z22XE is essential as I and a few other unfortunates have found! Also whenever the headgaskets go (usually due to not doing the former!) it always seems to be pot No.4 ??? Mine also runs rough for around 1/4 of a mile or so on first startup of the day but then settles down. Other than that, easy to work on (so i'm told ;)). Ticking when cold could be a crack in the exhaust manifold, they are prone to that too apparently, or may be lazy cam lifters? Try a bottle of 'Wynnes Lifter Treatment' first & see if there is any improvement, it can't do any harm even if that's not the problem at the end of the day.  :y
« Last Edit: 02 July 2012, 18:03:37 by PhilRich »
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

grain.ben

« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2012, 18:12:04 »

before i got the car last october, the previous owner had a complete new exhaust put on it, from engine, right to the back, could it still be a crack in the manifold?, obviously need to inspect, and when im out ill pick up a bottle of that, got nothing to loose, yet!  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2012, 18:21:04 »

before i got the car last october, the previous owner had a complete new exhaust put on it, from engine, right to the back, could it still be a crack in the manifold?, obviously need to inspect, and when im out ill pick up a bottle of that, got nothing to loose, yet!  :-\

If they put a pattern down pipe on (most likely have done) it will sound awful :(

Oh yes as above coolant changes are key, I do mine once a year :)

grain.ben

« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2012, 18:25:15 »

well, in my experience, it doesnt sound too good to be honest, sounds loud, bit like a diesel!

Will keep the coolant change in mind, are there any guides on here to show me how?

( Im not a competant mechanic, but i want to learn a few things for myself )  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2012, 18:26:56 »

Good reliable engine if looked after, but neglected will show a lot of wear on bore 1. Oil changes are key. Every 5k, or less.

Throttle bodies and breathers need an annual clean (easy).
Cam cover gaskets fail, HG often fails around 150k, give or take.
Cam sensors fail.
Coil pack tends to fail around 100k, or less, worsened if water leaks through scuttle.

A good, reliable, if somewhat gutless engine :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2012, 18:28:28 »

Ticking is either fanimold gasket failed or fanimold itself cracked. Often the former, but the latter still reasonably common.

Not a bad job to DIY change if the studs play nicely...
Grumpy old man

grain.ben

« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2012, 18:33:52 »

cheers, will keep that in mind.

Having the camcover done and breather system all cleaned soon when i can get hold of the 'omega mechanic'. Just ordered all the parts from AutoVaux (Wakefield) , cam cover gasket, o rings, sump breather gasket, throttle body gasket and black sealant. Ive been reading about these 'flametrap' 'firetrap' thingys, are they worth putting on at the same time?

Will sort out the coolant

Will inspect the manifold

:y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2012, 18:56:49 »

cheers, will keep that in mind.

Having the camcover done and breather system all cleaned soon when i can get hold of the 'omega mechanic'. Just ordered all the parts from AutoVaux (Wakefield) , cam cover gasket, o rings, sump breather gasket, throttle body gasket and black sealant. Ive been reading about these 'flametrap' 'firetrap' thingys, are they worth putting on at the same time?

Will sort out the coolant

Will inspect the manifold

:y
Autovaux? Oh fak.

Ensure those lying bastards have sent genuine gaskets, complete in sealed packets with the GM Hologram one. Their idea of genuine doesn't match anyone else's. For that reason, I avoid them like the plague.  >:(
Grumpy old man

grain.ben

« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2012, 19:02:32 »

haha, ive always dealt with AutoVaux, bought bits for my corsa b c, astra g, never had any problems and always had genuine gm ones with white label and hologram on, and they assured me that the bits ive just ordered are genuine, ahh well, we shall see in a few days  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 17 queries.