Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LSD limited slip differntials - Omega B  (Read 2044 times)

FrenchPaddy

• France
    • 12/1999 MV6 Kombi
    • View Profile
LSD limited slip differntials - Omega B
« on: 10 October 2023, 05:41:54 »

Hello

What are people using for Limited slip differentials in omega B?

I am looking for one for my recent purchase 3.0 v6 but they seem to be thin on the ground
Contacted 'Gripper diffs' Uk who offered to 'build me one' which sounds like it would cost more than the car! But maybe that's what we have to do...  :-\

Seems the Omega A / Carlton  LSD is slightly easier to find but was a solid-mounted diff. People say that you can just swap the inside LSD part but there is little info
 Surely with all the high powerd Omega knocking around and those in the eastern countries with Snow and ice there must be viable LSD options  or are people swapping in something else ?

Thanks for info . If you have an LSD for sale PM me

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: LSD limited slip differntials - Omega B
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2023, 08:49:50 »

In the UK - not so sure about Opel branded ones - LSD's were very rare on retail Omegas.  Fortunately, the police used Omegas, and they frequently came specced with LSDs.
Grumpy old man

FrenchPaddy

• France
    • 12/1999 MV6 Kombi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2023, 08:57:28 »

yes, I read about them being in Police Omega but there cannot have been millions of them sold either to have ample supply! Basically, that would mean anyone with an LSD in UK has an ex-police unit. seems hard to believe?   I think one could 'spec ' them at order time for both Vauxhall and Opel.  Funny how the Police were the only one's deemed worthy of receiving such a thing - cannot imagine it helps 'that much' in everyday driving, the power band is so high up the revs in the V6 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2023, 09:08:55 »

Back in the day, many of us were picking up ex plods from auction for £250, swapping the diffs over, then selling on. Or breaking for spares.  Especially if it was a manual plod, which a fair few were.

But in the UK, most have now been scrapped, or bought by the Irish for drifting purposes.
Grumpy old man

FrenchPaddy

• France
    • 12/1999 MV6 Kombi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2023, 09:13:21 »

Ok I have you,
So I am just too late to the scene then.   

An LSD can no longer be had now. so it's either get Quaife or  gripper to make you one = ££££ or weld it which is messy or enjoy an open diff in a car with decent power

Or move onto the next '90s love affair that's easier to get parts for !!

The polish and Bulgarian all seem to have the lsd on youtube whatever they doing to get them.  probably swaps in from a Bmw M CAR being a ZF from the factory.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2023, 09:19:10 »

From the UK, you are likely to struggle I reckon.  Off top of my head, I can only think of 1 person with an LSD in their Omega, and I'd guess he ain't selling ;D.

As Opels in euroland were more coveted than the Vauxhalls in the UK, you might have better luck from the EU hotspots of Omega, like Poland.  You could also try a private message to biggriffin, as he and Serek used to have an interesting selection of parts from breakers :)
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2023, 09:27:08 »

Seems the Omega A / Carlton  LSD is slightly easier to find but was a solid-mounted diff. People say that you can just swap the inside LSD part but there is little info
Omega A / Carlton and senator B internals ,possibly the Brazil built  Chevrolet Omega (1992 and 1998)  :-\ Australian  Holden Commodore  :-\
Back when I had Carltons ,IIRC , people where using Omega B internals for Carltons (because they where cheaper/available )

swapping the internals ,IF you can find them  :-X would require being "set up" correctly ,

Finding a WORKING LSD made 1986-1998 might be difficult  :-X

GM LSDs of that era need to be used and serviced and don't like being stored as i understand it.

Surely with all the high powerd Omega knocking around and those in the eastern countries with Snow and ice there must be viable LSD options  or are people swapping in something else ?

Omegas where comfortable ,mile munching ,cruisers, NOT race cars or drift machines
to use an Omega for race or drift requires major expensive upgrades

so....  IF that is your intension  :-\  , you probably will have to spend serious money

there are much better suited cars to race and drift .

If you just want an LSD for snow and ice etc , spending money on decent tyres would be a better use of funds

though I suspect you don't want rear wheel grip  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2023, 13:47:58 »

LSD wasn't a consumer option in the UK.
Onanists always think outside the box.

FrenchPaddy

• France
    • 12/1999 MV6 Kombi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2023, 17:39:33 »

I think I might sell it again, easy come easy go !
 just seems too hard to get stuff for, I am late to the game with these.
had to ask myself do I really want to allocate a lot of time to this at 43 just to be able to slide it out of a junction. answer probably no
can't get diff bushes or powerflex for rear cradle or anything anymore. all need custom fabrication. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2023, 19:06:07 »

You can slide a 2.0 Omega out of a junction if that's really all you're looking for...

That said, it does sound as though a scruffy E46 might be a better fit :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2023, 19:23:36 »

From the UK, you are likely to struggle I reckon.  Off top of my head, I can only think of 1 person with an LSD in their Omega, and I'd guess he ain't selling ;D.

As Opels in euroland were more coveted than the Vauxhalls in the UK, you might have better luck from the EU hotspots of Omega, like Poland.  You could also try a private message to biggriffin, as he and Serek used to have an interesting selection of parts from breakers :)

Nil stock of LSD's sold last one wee while ago for £300.
Hoof'land storeman.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2023, 03:37:36 »

I have a couple of good LSD from Ex Police, one still on a 3.2 Manual Special, and the other sitting on a shelf, both are 3.7 Ratio (Manual) the Auto Box versions where 3.9 Ratio, not selling at the mo, although  things may change early next year. Worth noting that a lot of Ex Plod Diffs were self destroyed by peeps putting the wrong Diff Oil or lack of Additive in them or even by the VX Dealer topping up with standard Diff Oil, so If you do get your hands on an Omega LSD check that the LSD Clutch is not  already shagged with the wrong oil or Additive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.