Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Safety feature or downright dangerous?  (Read 6100 times)

albitz

Re: Safety feature or downright dangerous?
« Reply #105 on: 08 November 2008, 23:21:33 »

Broocie, just out of interest, what would your view be on limiting cars in a simelar way?

As I have explained in other posts, I say ABOUT 18, because some travelled by car and I don't know the exact number.

Everyone had a seat and belt though, so I don't think we were over...

Cars are already limited to 158 mph, if I recall.  You know the uproar that causes at the moment, imagine taking it to 70??  Especially if the Autobahn (non) limit is still available?

As long as each seat had an arse on it and none left over, than thats the 'about 18' covered....   ;)
afaik its only the german (saloon) cars which are restricted,under a voluntary agreement to appease the the h&s/tree hugging lobby.  :-/

Dont think so.  Agreement is between all mainline manufacturers, as far as I understand it.....  :y

I think it started off in Germany though? They all had to be bigger better and faster, all pushing 200mph barrier?

So the big 3, BMW/Merc/Audi all decided to limit to 155 i think? Which then spread to others?
The Monaro you want to buy has a top speed of 170.  ::)

dieseldean

• Omega Knight
  • chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 09 November 2008, 00:04:16 »

on every working day my 85kph limiter (actually manages to achieve 89kph) realy really really annoys me cos i know i will upset someone by taking so long to overtake another lorry driver who is going that bit slower just to extend his journey time cos he is paid hourly by an agency

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 09 November 2008, 00:17:54 »

on every working day my 85kph limiter (actually manages to achieve 89kph) realy really really annoys me cos i know i will upset someone by taking so long to overtake another lorry driver who is going that bit slower just to extend his journey time cos he is paid hourly by an agency

In 1985 I was staying in Poole in Dorset and took a temp job driving tippers, I was young and enthusiastic. A contract driver, with his own truck, had a word with me one day, cos I was doing to many runs ::) I was doing nothing special just loading and unloading, he was not happy, showed what he, and others on the same job, were doing. I took no notice. ;D ;D ;D

dieseldean

• Omega Knight
  • chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 09 November 2008, 00:34:37 »

this thread is showing that many of us miggy owners are actually professional drivers :y which unfortunately says a lot of us miggy owners are underpaid  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 09 November 2008, 01:43:38 »

My tuppence:

As a driver of a coach that weighs 12500kg unladen i can tell you that over 62mph -100kmph (which is what they are limited to) is bloody scary! -  ......

You should've been in the civvy coach we were in, in the early 80's going to/from Plymouth from/to Portsmouth. There were probably 30 or 40 of us in a 72? seater coach - back in the days when they were allowed in the outside lane - doing a ton plus. It was only when we made comment about how fast we were actually going that he slowed down to more legal speeds.  :-?

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 09 November 2008, 01:52:09 »

My tuppence:

As a driver of a coach that weighs 12500kg unladen i can tell you that over 62mph -100kmph (which is what they are limited to) is bloody scary! -  ......

You should've been in the civvy coach we were in, in the early 80's going to/from Plymouth from/to Portsmouth. There were probably 30 or 40 of us in a 72? seater coach - back in the days when they were allowed in the outside lane - doing a ton plus. It was only when we made comment about how fast we were actually going that he slowed down to more legal speeds.  :-?

Was that all the buses that ran around the country for the navy, National Expresss, at the wekends. :y

Think a Coach can still use the 3rd Lane, unless I have missed something :-/

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 09 November 2008, 02:57:19 »

Ok, let's say it would do 80mph. Does that mean you wouldn't try overtaking again in a similar situation ?  

Better late in this world..than early in the next !  
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 09 November 2008, 09:15:38 »

Was that all the buses that ran around the country for the navy, National Expresss, at the wekends. :y
No Mike. Navy volunteer brass band competition in Pompey while I was a baby apprentice in Guz being ferried either there or back.

Think a Coach can still use the 3rd Lane, unless I have missed something :-/
I'm pretty sure they've been banned from the outside lane of a motorway for sometime. Too many casualties when they turned turtle.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 09 November 2008, 09:21:59 »

Going back to topic .........  ;)
I agree with the speed restriction. When you've got limited power/speed - try driving a 1.7 low blow turbo diesel everyday  ;D or stick a caravan on the back of your Omega - you adjust your driving to compensate for the lack of overtaking opportunities. An Omega drives/handles completely differently with 5 in it compared to just the driver, a mini-bus with 17/18 at 60 mph is plenty fast enough.

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 09 November 2008, 09:29:37 »

Being honest I dont have time this morning to read all the thread.

But going on the opening post/comments I would say the biggest mistake was not being told the vehicle was limited.

If you knew you were limited then you wouldn't/shouldn't have gone for the overtake.

I hope the pursuit driver would have applied their training and worked through the 'rules' re overtaking and haven taken the limited speed factor into account would have aborted said overtake.

OFF TOPIC

I drive my tanker for a living and I get paid per job/tip so I'm on the limiter everywhere and 'make use' of hills to gain speed (never going over 60mph  ::) ) Most days I'm physically at work for 10 ish hours but invoice for 14+ due to jobs done.

I try to keep left as much as possible.

If a quicker truck, usually Irish reg or eastern block or Italian I slow by a few KPH let it pass then back up to 56-ish.

That usually prevents the massive '10 mile overtake'
If an artic overtakes you, you're driving too slow!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 09 November 2008, 09:50:03 »

.... and 'make use' of hills to gain speed (never going over 60mph  ::) )  ......
Ah! It wasn't you was it then right up my chuff going west down the hill on the M62 at 70 mph + ??  ::)  :y  :y  :y

If a quicker truck, usually Irish reg or eastern block or Italian I slow by a few KPH let it pass then back up to 56-ish.

You must be on your own then mate. ;D I've sat behind HGV's for bl00dy miles in the middle lane when I've had a caravan on the back.

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 09 November 2008, 09:59:49 »

.... and 'make use' of hills to gain speed (never going over 60mph  ::) )  ......
Ah! It wasn't you was it then right up my chuff going west down the hill on the M62 at 70 mph + ??  ::)  :y  :y  :y

You must be on your own then mate. ;D I've sat behind HGV's for bl00dy miles in the middle lane when I've had a caravan on the back.

We dont go that far north.

I have heard that 75mph-ish down hill is f**king heart stopping in a tanker!!!!!

As for overtaking, drivers just wont ease off. If the overtaking truck is going faster even if by .0000001mph just ease the cruise control by 1 or 2 kph then when they're past back up to 89kph

Unless your dry goods for most supermarkets...then 80Kph is your lot.

I really cant grasp why soooooo many dry goods drivers bitch and moan but wont get off their arse, do the ADR course then go hazard loads.

The wages on hazard loads is anything for mid 30s to upper 40s

Rumour has it Asda petrol tankers are on £46K BASIC!!!!!
« Last Edit: 09 November 2008, 10:00:59 by Essex_Andy »
If an artic overtakes you, you're driving too slow!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin_1962

« Reply #117 on: 09 November 2008, 10:58:12 »

I agree with the speed restriction. When you've got limited power/speed - try driving a 1.7 low blow turbo diesel everyday  ;D or stick a caravan on the back of your Omega - you adjust your driving to compensate for the lack of overtaking opportunities. An Omega drives/handles completely differently with 5 in it compared to just the driver, a mini-bus with 17/18 at 60 mph is plenty fast enough.

But you can overtake safely with a van and get back in - you are just extremely careful while doing it, a speed limiter would make it more difficult. Remember the French towing limit is 82.5 and people go at what is comfortable rather than to the limit

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 09 November 2008, 11:31:50 »

But you can overtake safely with a van and get back in - you are just extremely careful while doing it, a speed limiter would make it more difficult. Remember the French towing limit is 82.5 and people go at what is comfortable rather than to the limit
Your problem arises because the majority of drivers think they are the world's best driver, when clearly there are not.
Grumpy old man

Welung666

« Reply #119 on: 09 November 2008, 11:37:13 »

The wages on hazard loads is anything for mid 30s to upper 40s

Rumour has it Asda petrol tankers are on £46K BASIC!!!!!

A couple of guys I used to run continentals with are on tankers now. 1 went to Hoyer (Esso) and he's on pretty much 40k, the other went to Asda and the rumour is about right :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.