Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Car Advice  (Read 2158 times)

LouisCorney

New Car Advice
« on: 13 April 2007, 00:03:34 »

Hello again guys.  :)

After selling my old elite I'm now searching for a new car, but would like to hear your opinions and experiences. The cars I'm looking at to replace the omega are:

MV6
Mercedes C Class (230 kompressor)
BMW 5 series (528i or similar)

Would like manual (hence MV6), rear wheel drive saloon with decent spec and performance. These all seem to fit, but are there any others I have overlooked? Insurance is also an issue so preferably not much bigger engine-wise.

Which is the better out of the above, in terms of both performance and handling? Looking for something a bit sportier now I don't do so many motorway miles, for the which the barge was perfect  ;)

Thanks in advance for any of your collective automotive wisdom  :y

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Re: New Car Advice
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2007, 00:18:51 »

Beemer and Merc are both a joke. The Merc doesn't handle nice sounds like s**t and it is styled for 2 decades ago, the beemer is OK performance wise with serious engine durability issues and less interior space than a seicento. MV6 is the answer my friend

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2007, 00:20:16 »

Merc and BMW are just too damn expensive for what they are.

I would find a nice manual MV6 and then tinker with it a little.... :)

Few other RWD cars around.

Front wheel drive Saab 9000 Aero is strongly recommended though. Try one, I think you will be entertained!  ;)
The Administrator.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2007, 18:25:16 »

Front wheel drive Saab 9000 Aero is strongly recommended though. Try one, I think you will be entertained!  ;)
I drove a mate's 9000 which was one of the last made so had the Aero engine fitted, joined the M1 from Newport Pagnell services and some oik in a paxo thought he'd give it some welly, so I did too ... needless to say he failed to keep up, lol

they are rather rapid when on full boost :)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2007, 18:32:14 »

I drove a mate's 9000 which was one of the last made so had the Aero engine fitted, joined the M1 from Newport Pagnell services and some oik in a paxo thought he'd give it some welly, so I did too ... needless to say he failed to keep up, lol

they are rather rapid when on full boost :)

That is in standard form... simple remapping of the ecu results in them becoming stupidly fast!  ;D
I used to work with a guy who had a stage one conversion (upped to 260bhp).
The acceleration on it was phenomenal!
The Administrator.

amigov6

« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2007, 01:46:01 »

Hello again guys.  :)

After selling my old elite I'm now searching for a new car, but would like to hear your opinions and experiences. The cars I'm looking at to replace the omega are:

MV6
Mercedes C Class (230 kompressor)
BMW 5 series (528i or similar)

Would like manual (hence MV6), rear wheel drive saloon with decent spec and performance. These all seem to fit, but are there any others I have overlooked? Insurance is also an issue so preferably not much bigger engine-wise.

Which is the better out of the above, in terms of both performance and handling? Looking for something a bit sportier now I don't do so many motorway miles, for the which the barge was perfect  ;)

Thanks in advance for any of your collective automotive wisdom  :y
;)Merc no. Saab fwd. Bmw not bad, you know the answer..........

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2007, 01:58:24 »

This is the one to have, and the right colour too (spotted this morning in my area):

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2007, 01:59:17 »

...but the next best thing is Omega  ;)
Alas, no more Omegas....

LouisCorney

« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2007, 22:52:58 »

So the BMW and Merc aren't rated too highly then?  :-? Did like the idea of a supercharger though  ;D

If I could get insurance for it I would have a 540i or M3 straight away.

Seems I've been suckered in by their reputation; entirely why I wanted to pick your brains  :y

Also fancied a bit of a change and a more sportier car - thinking of which should I consider roadsters/ pure out and out sports type cars? Are there any decent, cheap ones out there?

Don't fancy FWD much, how does the Saab handle/feel with so much power through the front?

How fast is an MV6 - not on paper but in the real world? How much difference does the Mtek chip make?

Sorry for all the questions again  8-)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2007, 22:54:31 »

for me 540 yes, m5 yes, c43 amg yes

But anything in the 2.5 to 3litre area id go for the MV6 3.0 or 3.2  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2007, 22:55:47 »

i'd quite fancy a one of the last shape Jaguar XJ's......

4.0 Supercharged V8, gets to 60 in 5.2 seconds, and thats stock figures!

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120105221534&rd=1&rd=1

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2007, 22:58:20 »

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120105221534&rd=1&rd=1

me too  :y but then its the build quality  :-[ was also reading about range rovers the other day and some part that can cost up to 8grand to repair....cant remember what it was, some kind of electronic module. So thats been pushed of my list!!
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2007, 23:06:25 »

me too  :y but then its the build quality  :-[ was also reading about range rovers the other day and some part that can cost up to 8grand to repair....cant remember what it was, some kind of electronic module. So thats been pushed of my list!!

I did join a few forums.... the chains are the killers with them. £1,200 dealer job!  :o

Most forums said though, if you avoid main Jag dealers, they are not too bad to maintain! (like Omega and Vx Dealers)

I have seen Y reg (last of the olds) with around 60k miles go for 9k....

Some people say they are "old mans" cars, but 60 in 5.2??? 'dangle berries' to that i say!!!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2007, 23:08:23 »

I did join a few forums.... the chains are the killers with them. £1,200 dealer job!  :o

Most forums said though, if you avoid main Jag dealers, they are not too bad to maintain! (like Omega and Vx Dealers)

I have seen Y reg (last of the olds) with around 60k miles go for 9k....

Some people say they are "old mans" cars, but 60 in 5.2??? 'dangle berries' to that i say!!!

Hmmmmm may look again at them then Tunnie - very very sleek and hellishly fast  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2007, 23:14:30 »

They are very tempting, have to speak to some owners to gauge a true running cost.

Not sure how easy acess is to trade parts with them  :-/

Might be worth going to a dealer, and saying how much is a disc and pad set on trade / retail .... then compare to Vx.

Should give a rough indication of running cost differences.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.