Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heated seats in an Elite  (Read 1957 times)

cornishtaz

• Lyneham, Wilts SN15 4DZ
    • View Profile
Heated seats in an Elite
« on: 25 January 2007, 18:52:19 »

During the recent cold mornings I've tried to warm my front seats up prior to going to work, I usually start the car about 10mins before leaving for work and i also switch on the drivers heated seat, but when getting into the car the seat is still cold.

I've heard that the elements are prone to going on these cars, do you need to be sitting in the seat for the heater to work, the telltale light comes on on the dash, I've not carried out any checks yet as its always dark by the time I get home. If it is the elements are they easy to change?

Any help would be appreciated.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
Re: Heated seats in an Elite
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2007, 18:59:34 »

well if the light's on then I reckon the fuse is OK, which points to the element. Apparently it's fairly easy to change if you have cloth seats but a pig if you've got leather ones ...

cornishtaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2007, 19:01:26 »

Leather which is why I've been trying to use them during the cold spell

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2007, 19:11:53 »

Officially, I don't believe its possible to change on Omega leather.

Unofficially, someone has suggested you can get to from below, failing that, Newtrim in Oxford (used to be in Horspath) may be able to help?
Grumpy old man

cornishtaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2007, 19:32:19 »

Cheers for the info.

Do you need to be sitting in the seats to work or should they work with the seat empty?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2007, 19:33:37 »

Cheers for the info.

Do you need to be sitting in the seats to work or should they work with the seat empty?
Don't think there are any occupancy sensors, certainly not prefacelift anyway...
Grumpy old man

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2007, 19:56:41 »

Do you put on heater blowers also. I beleive the seats are thermostat controlled and maybe the correct temp is reached before you get in. Does it heat up at other times? Body pressure will obviously put the outer material closer to the heater elements, so maybe with no occupant the heat is not distributed sufficiently to warm the outer of the seat.

Not based on science in any way and just a suggestion  :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

jamie

• Newtown, Powys
  • "Say 'ello to my little MV6, maricon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2007, 20:07:27 »

On my facelift mv6, with leather sports seat, a third heater pad is fitted in the pull forward thigh support.  
These are not shown on the schematics.  

On both front sets they had failed due to the thigh supports being moved in and out over time.  All pads are in series and on the facelift controlled with feedback via a thermistor, you can vary the heat from the selector.

The light on the switch still illuminates if a pad is open circuit.

I have linked out the two thigh pads, however this does decrease the series resistance and hence increases the power dissipation in each remaining pad.  The same base and back pads are used in seats without the adjustable sports thigh bit so in theory its not a problem.

Mine have worked like this for some time without problem.

MV6 3.0L  XJ40 3.6L Sovereign (Galaxy Tdi130)
My non commercial Projects http://www.iecd.co.uk/ScratchPad/Projects/NonCon.htm

Some Pictures
http://www.iecd.co.uk/ScratchPad/temp/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2007, 20:23:21 »

Cheers for the info.

Don't think there are any occupancy sensors, certainly not prefacelift anyway...

Neither does my facelift... I know this because if I forget to turn heater off after my beter half leaves the car, anything I put on the seat becomes hot...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2007, 20:26:17 »

I've found in previous cars with heated seats that they don't really feel hot unless you're sitting in them, I guess due to the weight of your ass pushing the surface closer to the heaters. A few times I tried a test by switching on the passenger seat and feeling if it got warm and it never did, but when I sat in it the seat warmed up as normal. Never tried them in an Omega except where I was sitting on the seat. I'd definitely try leaving it switched on while you're sitting in the seat before assuming it's broken, as it's an easy check (there aren't many checks you can do sitting on your ass lol).

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2007, 20:39:56 »

I've found in previous cars with heated seats that they don't really feel hot unless you're sitting in them, I guess due to the weight of your ass pushing the surface closer to the heaters. A few times I tried a test by switching on the passenger seat and feeling if it got warm and it never did, but when I sat in it the seat warmed up as normal. Never tried them in an Omega except where I was sitting on the seat. I'd definitely try leaving it switched on while you're sitting in the seat before assuming it's broken, as it's an easy check (there aren't many checks you can do sitting on your ass lol).

As I said... on the Omega it's hot even when no one is sitting in the seat...
Alas, no more Omegas....

cornishtaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2007, 21:04:20 »

Cheers for the replies I'll try your suggestions out 2morrow morn

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 January 2007, 22:22:07 »

I agree - if I put mine on 10 mins before use I'd be cooking.  I have mine set no higher than 2 and it's hot within the first mile of home.  :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2007, 08:47:49 »

I agree - if I put mine on 10 mins before use I'd be cooking.  I have mine set no higher than 2 and it's hot within the first mile of home.  :y

Agreed. I put mine on 5 for a test but had to switch it off before I burnt my bum

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

cornishtaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2007, 12:21:56 »

Well tried the heated seats this morn and they do heat up but is hardly noticable

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2007, 17:25:51 »

My wife will knit you some wooley pants, if your symptoms persist!! :-*
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.