Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 3213 times)

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
Clutch problem
« on: 31 December 2006, 12:50:37 »

I think I've narrowed my gear change problem down to a clutch problem.

Engine off or at low revs (under 1500) gear change is OK, changing down through the gears is OK.

But going up through the gears especially 3rd and 4th and with a few revs (over 2500) can be really stiff. Won't go in at first then clunks in, sometimes even get a bit of gear grind.

Done the conventional clutch bleed, some crud came out, but no bubbles.

Need to try the reverse bleed, but need to get my easy bleed back off a mate first.

However if this doesn't cure it what are the symptoms of master cylinder failure, slave cylinder failure etc.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2006, 12:53:54 »

Engine off or at low revs (under 1500) gear change is OK, changing down through the gears is OK.

But going up through the gears especially 3rd and 4th and with a few revs (over 2500) can be really stiff. Won't go in at first then clunks in, sometimes even get a bit of gear grind.

Need to try the reverse bleed, but need to get my easy bleed back off a mate first.

However if this doesn't cure it what are the symptoms of master cylinder failure, slave cylinder failure etc.....

Knackered syncromesh?
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2006, 12:57:53 »

Knackered syncromesh?

It's got all the symptoms unfortunately.
I like red cars

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2006, 12:58:20 »

Go on cheer me up....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2006, 13:03:41 »

Go on cheer me up....

Try double-de-clutching through the gears.

Also, when engaging first, pull gear lever back onto 2nd (without engaging) and then quickly put it into first, may stop the crunch.
I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2006, 14:51:05 »

I experience these problems as well but, stangely, other times it is perfect. Like a lot of things with omega, I just live with it.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2006, 15:53:24 »

SMTO123 it is strange because it's not consistent. I can have a reasonable journey and a bad journey.

I think the gear linkage adjustment might be worth a tweak.

If the reverse bleed and the gear linkage adjustment don't do it I'll probably just become very proficient in double declutching (for when it's required).

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2006, 15:56:29 »

Hmmmm....if I ever decide to sell/trade in mine, I hope my gearbox is having a good day ;D

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2007, 15:07:46 »

I drove Jason's car on the weekend, and to me it feels as though the clutch isn't dissengaging propperly.  If you gun it, it is very difficult to get out of 2nd and into 3rd. I had an Avensis that did the same thing, and a new clutch fixed that ok.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2007, 19:33:48 »

Thanks for the opinion and the offer of help changing the clutch. I may just take you up on it.

Going to try a thorough reverse bleed first, then leave it for a week or two and see if it goes away.

If not it's new clutch here we come :y

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2007, 20:54:14 »

If it's difficult coming out of gear then it may well be the clutch, as the synchromesh only matters for selecting a gear.

My car is loads better since getting the clutch replaced, much lighter pedal and of course I can gun it off the lights :D

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2007, 23:59:56 »

If it's difficult coming out of gear then it may well be the clutch, as the synchromesh only matters for selecting a gear.

My car is loads better since getting the clutch replaced, much lighter pedal and of course I can gun it off the lights :D
I agree.  If it just crunched on the changes then i would say synchro's, but feels as bad as if you tried to change gear without using the clutch and you didn't have the revs right.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2007, 20:01:19 »

Right, some progress.

Whole weekend spent on the car and now it's all in pieces. I think it was the clutch, but of course the proof will be when it all goes back together.

How the pressure plate should be attached (spare pressure plate):

How mine was (not) attached:

Would have fitted a new clutch but found the steel coolant pipe into the back of the block leaking, so need an O-ring.

Also spotted my DIS pack falling apart, so whilst gearbox off thought it would be a good idea to replace this. Was it f*uck! Even with the gearbox off it was a nightmare. My torx 3/8" drive was too fat to reach the bolts, one was increadibly hard to reach, then my 8mm socket (instead of torx) fell off under the DIS pack. Found another imperial socket that would fit, eventually found a way to get a purchase, then the bolt sheared. It had rusted solid into the DIS pack and captive nut at the bottom. Still at least I could lift the remains of the DIS pack off the remains of the bolt.

So car in pieces and friend who helped me lift the gearbox off back to Cambridge.

Need the parts, then help to get it back together.....

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2007, 20:17:43 »

Not far from Bristol. I've put auto boxes back on, but not manuals on the Omega's.

Would love to offer you a bit of man power, but unfortunately I'm wrapped up for a couple of weeks....

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2007, 21:02:20 »

Thanks for the thought.

The Barge Captain rashly offered a couple of weeks ago - I may take him up on it ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.