Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emissions telltale and Premium Unleaded  (Read 1003 times)

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
Emissions telltale and Premium Unleaded
« on: 11 February 2007, 16:24:30 »

I'm putting this here for comments really.

I bought my current car back in November, and the emission telltale has come on twice since then (and gone out again). The first time it happened I didn't didn't know why, but after the second time I realised it was happening just after I filled it up with premium unleaded. In both instances it extinguished shortly after refilling with regular unleaded - the second time, after about 40 miles/20 minutes.

Not having an owners manual, I didn't even realise it was the emissions telltale until I read it on my favourite forum :)

Has anyone else had this experience?

The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

STMO123

Re: Emissions telltale and Premium Unleaded
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2007, 16:30:15 »

I use Shell V Power in mine all the time. Seems to love it, no problems at all.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2007, 16:57:13 »

That is not normal...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2007, 18:31:54 »

- the second time, after about 40 miles/20 minutes.

Do you always fill up with super at the same garage? if so try a different brand see what happens?

As TB says it shouldnt come on.....using just petrol.....mine does coz i use lpg.....but it is fussy what brand of lpg i put in it.....put Countrywide lpg in and its fine....put BP lpg in it and light comes on....mine is off at the mo.....but im going to Ipswich tomorrow and will have to refill in Ipswich at a BP garage....give it 20 mins and the light will be back on....

Or possibly you shouldnt average 120mph  :o ;D

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2007, 18:54:56 »

- the second time, after about 40 miles/20 minutes.

Do you always fill up with super at the same garage? if so try a different brand see what happens?

As TB says it shouldnt come on.....using just petrol.....mine does coz i use lpg.....but it is fussy what brand of lpg i put in it.....put Countrywide lpg in and its fine....put BP lpg in it and light comes on....mine is off at the mo.....but im going to Ipswich tomorrow and will have to refill in Ipswich at a BP garage....give it 20 mins and the light will be back on....

Or possibly you shouldnt average 120mph  :o ;D
The first time it was Shell Optimax/V-Power (99RON according to their blurb), and the second time was two refills of BP Ultimate (97RON) IIRC.

Since I first posted this thread, I have become the proud recipient of an owners manual :), which does indicate that higher ocatne fuels are accpetable. It'd be interesting to know which sensors the ECU uses to determine that the engine may be exceeding emissions.

By the way you're absolutely right TD, It must have been 20 miles in 40 mins (honestly officer:o) even the Omega couldn't average 120 MPH in urban traffic
The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2007, 19:01:02 »

I used a mixed bag of petrols for the car's first 25k, based on which stations is nearest/cheapset etc, a lot of it was Tesco 95RON.

I then started using 97RON, initially Shell Optimax, then for a very long time BT Ultimate only, and now also Texaco High Octane.

In the 5 years and 50k that I have the car I never saw any light come-up on the dash, regardless of the octane or make of petrol, so I doubt very much that the light is affected purely by the petrol rating...

It could be that your local garage is giving you a short measure i.e. you are getting more than just petrol in your tank, no idea - but as TB said light coming on when changing fuel is NOT normal.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2007, 19:15:42 »

It'd be interesting to know which sensors the ECU uses to determine that the engine may be exceeding emissions.

Its the lambda sensors before and after the cat......it may be possible you have a dodgey one  :-/
« Last Edit: 11 February 2007, 19:16:38 by Taxi_Driver »

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2007, 22:45:35 »

It'd be interesting to know which sensors the ECU uses to determine that the engine may be exceeding emissions.

Its the lambda sensors before and after the cat......it may be possible you have a dodgey one  :-/
Or possibly a dodgy Cat, do they wear out? I seem to remember from my Holden days that raw fuel will destroy the cat hence the oil pressure/fuel pump interlock on those cars.

Just been looking at TIS2000, and it does show two lambda sensors for the 2.6/3.2 V6. I guess only a scan will reveal more info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.