Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonnet release problem  (Read 1149 times)

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
Bonnet release problem
« on: 18 February 2007, 11:33:23 »

Hopefully someone can help :'(

Am trying to change out the brakes on my 2001 2.6 Omega and have hit a snag from the off - My bonnet release cable has gone limp -   :-[  How the bloody hell are you supposed to open the bonnet......  Any help seriously appreciated.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Bonnet release problem
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2007, 11:39:00 »

Hopefully someone can help :'(

Am trying to change out the brakes on my 2001 2.6 Omega and have hit a snag from the off - My bonnet release cable has gone limp -   :-[  How the bloody hell are you supposed to open the bonnet......  Any help seriously appreciated.
Is the barrel end nipple of the cable still being pulled by the plastic handle. If the cable is still there but not being pulled by the handle you could try visegrips/molegrips on the cable to open the bonnet and go from there. If the cable has broken - unlikely though - I think you'll be crawling under the car!  :(

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2007, 11:42:39 »

Have got the nipple still on but no matter how hard I pull it, it doesn't seem to pull the catch back far enough for it to release. If I was going under the car bearing in mind the covers that need to come off - what do you do to release it from underneath?? Cheers for the quick reply  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2007, 11:52:43 »

Have got the nipple still on but no matter how hard I pull it, it doesn't seem to pull the catch back far enough for it to release. If I was going under the car bearing in mind the covers that need to come off - what do you do to release it from underneath?? Cheers for the quick reply  :y
I've never had the need to release a bonnet from underneath - a bit of suck & see!  ;)
If the cable is still attached I think that you'll be able to open it if you get a hand from someone else by pushing down on the front of the bonnet while you pull the cable, it'll take the weight off the catch. It's probably why it's become detached in the first place.

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2007, 11:54:16 »

Will give it a go now the missus is back from ASDA :-X

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2007, 11:58:32 »

:y :y :y :y :y :y

It's easy when you know how  ::)- Andy your a star :) :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2007, 12:15:51 »

Now pop the cover off from above the passenger side headlight and you will see a clamp, slacken this off and pull the bonnet cable through it to remove the slack..........

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2007, 12:23:59 »

Now pop the cover off from above the passenger side headlight and you will see a clamp, slacken this off and pull the bonnet cable through it to remove the slack..........

Also I'd be backing off the bonnet locking spring a little so that the bonnet doesn't have to go down quite as far before it latches.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2007, 14:02:47 »

Also I'd be backing off the bonnet locking spring a little so that the bonnet doesn't have to go down quite as far before it latches.

I disagree.....this is the final adjustment.....winde the two rubber bump stops on the front corners of the bonnet in a bit first....only adjust the lock spring if the bonnet is consequently out of alignment with the wings.

Tafty

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2007, 14:29:52 »

I disagree.....this is the final adjustment.....winde the two rubber bump stops on the front corners of the bonnet in a bit first....only adjust the lock spring if the bonnet is consequently out of alignment with the wings.

Have done it this way and it now works as it should - top recommendations guys - if I could buy you all a pint I would 8-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.