Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABS 'not working'  (Read 1077 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
ABS 'not working'
« on: 23 October 2010, 16:59:32 »

Hello all,

Have a friend interested in an Omega. Knowing I'm a bit handy with them, he's brought me in as a second opinion. Spoken to the owner who stated all's well with it except the ''ABS doesn't work'' so
-Fuse, (2 second fix)
-ABS ECU stuffed, (possible hundreds to spend at Stealer)
-ABS sensor, (2 mins in a scrappy, minimal cost.)

Can I just have a confirmation my thinking's right; have I missed anything, and what's the most likely cause?

Many thanks in advance, you very lovely people.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

Re: ABS 'not working'
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2010, 17:31:43 »

What year is the car? Post 1998 are susceptible to dead ABS ECUs - which will also cause faulty/failed/iffy power steering and faulty/failed/iffy speedo etc. Ridiculously expensive to replace, cheaper to get remanufactured.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2010, 17:34:48 »

is the light always on, does the speedo work?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2010, 17:55:52 »

As above.

The ABs light should come on and then go off at start up of car. If no light then suspect bulb removed.

The ABS ECU unit is very awkwardly positioned and requires patience and time - maybe up to a couple of hours depending on ability to remove. Remanufacture of removed unit from own car is a good route. Costs around £120 or so. BBA Reman or a place in Nottingham for example.You need a good selection of tools and small extn bars too.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2010, 23:34:00 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies so far. As I say I've only been brought in on this, so only have fairly sketchy details, but will try and get more details as soon as I can.

Very interesting about the ECU then altering the PAS / speedo. He never mentioned any issues with either, so we may be looking at a simpler fix than first thought. Am i right in saying there's tech 2 required in replacing the ABS ECU? (and therefore unavoidable cost, regardless of how cheap we can get a replacement ABD ECU for)

So if (crossed fingers!) it isnt the ABS ECU..are we talking an ickle cheap-to-replace sensor, then?

oh, and to answer aaronjbs question, yes, its a 98 model, with side arbags, so must be mini-facelift.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2010, 11:44:08 »

I'm not sure if this is any help to you but I've got a 96 2.5 estate sat on the drive for spares if you need an abs unit.
Don't wee on the electric fence

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2010, 13:41:23 »

Well I was going to say something along the lines of 'oh, getting a spare shouldn't be too hard as there's a couple in our local scrappy' but seeing you're in Grimsby, we live about three inches away from each other, I think I'd rather give my money to a fellow Oofer!!

Thanks for that. If it comes to needing a new ABS unit, i may well be calling on you. (along with any other parts that he may need, as there's always something, isn't there?)

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2010, 14:15:12 »

No problem DBG,as you say there is always something that is needed for the 'ongoing project' that is known as an Omega  :)
« Last Edit: 24 October 2010, 14:15:38 by hannahjudesdad »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2010, 14:23:43 »

Haha! Quite right. So, just out of intrest, you dont have any personal experience of the iffy ABS thing? I have never come across it, you see, and was a little surprised when he said it wasn't working.

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2010, 15:46:02 »

It's a first on me but then again I am no expert,so sorry to say I can't give you any pointers on this  :(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2010, 17:16:02 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies so far. As I say I've only been brought in on this, so only have fairly sketchy details, but will try and get more details as soon as I can.

Very interesting about the ECU then altering the PAS / speedo. He never mentioned any issues with either, so we may be looking at a simpler fix than first thought. Am i right in saying there's tech 2 required in replacing the ABS ECU? (and therefore unavoidable cost, regardless of how cheap we can get a replacement ABD ECU for)

So if (crossed fingers!) it isnt the ABS ECU..are we talking an ickle cheap-to-replace sensor, then?

oh, and to answer aaronjbs question, yes, its a 98 model, with side arbags, so must be mini-facelift.
Not if you get one off the same model and spec motor (eg same gearbox etc) :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2010, 19:42:44 »

Hi all,

Not if you get one off the same model and spec motor (eg same gearbox etc) :y

Fantastic news!! I did wonder just how pedantic the ECU would be, but I thought Id heard it said it needed tech 2-ing. Thanks dbug!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.