Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: aftermarket stereo with bose  (Read 4686 times)

ben1975

• West London
    • View Profile
aftermarket stereo with bose
« on: 04 June 2008, 19:42:43 »

hello there, is it possible to remove the standard stereo unit from a 3.0 elite and fit an aftermarket stereo, preferably with a built in screen.
The issue is, i still would like to use the bose amp and speakers but just change the head unit, is this possible?  if so can anyone reccomend a head unit that fits nicely and what i would need in order that i can use the bose system?

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
Re: aftermarket stereo with bose
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2008, 19:44:37 »

iirc you will have to remove the whole lot matey !! then run new wires to door speakers !! i might be wrong wait for dave dnd he will tell you for sure !! :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2008, 20:19:23 »

will need to remove it all, possiblt inc speakers. You also need to adjust a load of wiring in drivers kick panel.

fair amount of effort, what you hoping to achieve?
Grumpy old man

marinis69

• Ashford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2008, 19:33:24 »

I have done the same. U dont need to remove anything !!!! All you need to do is find the remote + for bose amp and connect it to the new unit as amp remote. Works fine and sound is briliant !!! Just i would advice not to buy cheap ebay c**p from china. Cos they are using diferent amp for out and on low volume you will hear a bit buzzin from your speakers. i would recomend alpine, sony, kenwood, pioner, jvc. With those works fine !!! Good luck :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2008, 19:37:57 »

I have done the same. U dont need to remove anything !!!! All you need to do is find the remote + for bose amp and connect it to the new unit as amp remote. Works fine and sound is briliant !!! Just i would advice not to buy cheap ebay c**p from china. Cos they are using diferent amp for out and on low volume you will hear a bit buzzin from your speakers. i would recomend alpine, sony, kenwood, pioner, jvc. With those works fine !!! Good luck :)
Bose amp works at non standard level, hence only works (well) with Bose HUs
Grumpy old man

marinis69

• Ashford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2008, 20:11:25 »

well it works fine with alpine :)))))

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2008, 14:34:49 »

Ive plugged my Pioneer unit in, and it works fine! Didn't have to rewire anything, or use any strange adaptors etc  :)
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2008, 14:36:51 »

Oh and just to add, my system has a touchscreen, as its an all in one CD/MP3/Radio/Sat Nav thing! Pioneer Avic-X1

:y
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2008, 15:14:12 »

hello there, is it possible to remove the standard stereo unit from a 3.0 elite and fit an aftermarket stereo, preferably with a built in screen.
The issue is, i still would like to use the bose amp and speakers but just change the head unit, is this possible?  if so can anyone reccomend a head unit that fits nicely and what i would need in order that i can use the bose system?

As far as Im aware the Bose Head Units give out a low level Speaker Out into 4 ohms which drive the Bose amp, unlike most units which give you either speaker out from there own Amps or Line (Low) level out (High Impedeance) to drive the Amp.

The bit Im not really sure about is the Bose Amp input levels and more important the input inpedeance.

I would imaging if you could found out the Bose levels you could adapt to suit somehow.

Or get rid of the Bose Amp as well and drive the new head unit it the Bose Speakers. You will need to add Cross Overs and I believe the Bose Speakers are 2 Ohms, so the Cross Overs would need to match those as well.

Dave DND on here might be able to help or put you on the Straight and narrow.

Chris.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2008, 15:15:54 by zirk »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2008, 15:31:09 »

Dave DND on here might be able to help or put you on the Straight and narrow

Sorry guys, I`m keeping out of this one.

My hatred for the BOSE system is well documented on this forum, and those that ignore advice and connect the stereos directly to it anyway are asking for problems due to incompatable line levels and overloading of either head unit or amp inputs.

If it was that easy, our repair centre would be twiddling their thumbs instead of repairing the radios that had gone bang !!!

Oh, and for those unaware, the BOSE speakers in the car are 2 Ohm and MUST be removed if the BOSE system is being taken out in favour of a Non-BOSE or aftermarket system.

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2008, 15:37:50 »

I am aware of some of my customers who have modified the Porsche / Audi BOSE adaptors from autoleads for use in the Vauxhall - they have RCA inputs from the head unit and as far as I am aware just need a few wires changing for the power side of things.

Not personally tried it, so unable to advise further.

:-?
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2008, 15:40:48 »

Seems like a NO then.

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2008, 19:05:04 »

Seems like a NO then.
Unless you've tried it for yourself and found out the hard way then nobody's in a position to comment.

The fact that ian and marini have tried it and it appears to work should mean that it's definately not to be ruled out.

So, to the guys that have got it working, is the volume level on your head unit very sensitive???

Secondly Dave, some in-car amps will drive 2 ohm speakers and have a switch for this very purpose so not necessarily required to rip out standard speakers should you choose to go down the route of an aftermarket amp.

I wonder, given that the levels/impedances appear to be a problem, if an attenuator could be found/made.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2008, 22:44:46 »

Unless you've tried it for yourself and found out the hard way then nobody's in a position to comment

Erm, actually, I`m probably one of the best people to comment - our repair centre has been inundated over the years with peole unsuccessfully trying to connect to BOSE equipment.

Secondly Dave, some in-car amps will drive 2 ohm speakers and have a switch for this very purpose so not necessarily required to rip out standard speakers should you choose to go down the route of an aftermarket amp

Thats true, but many people are simply connecting an aftermarket head unit instead, and none of those will run four channels at 2 Ohms.

I wonder, given that the levels/impedances appear to be a problem, if an attenuator could be found/made

Yes, Autoleads have a range of BOSE adaptors for the Porsche / Audi vehicles. The demand for the Vauxhall was deemed insignificant at the time and development costs were too high for the small numbers that required it, so the Vauxhall badge was never added to the packet.
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2008, 00:15:44 »

Seems like a YES then (for someone).
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.