Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 TD estate battery boilling  (Read 2436 times)

simon1955

• View Profile
2.5 TD estate battery boilling
« on: 25 June 2009, 16:20:46 »

Hi guys i hope you can help !! I have a1996 2.5TD Omega CDX manuel Estate  which i have had for 9 years and no problems at all untill now  It keeps cooking the battery As in it gets that hot their is no charge left in it at all ? all you have to do is wait for the battery to cool down then fill with water he recharge and it is ok agian frist it was happing every other month now its down to twice a week ! when car is running everything works no blown fuses or melted wires Its all so had a new battery (twice) new starter motor and alternator  their is no short on the battery leads when taking them off or on ,It all so runs just below 14volts when running and also when you turn everything on it drops to 13.6 volts  also the amps runs ok
 Anyway it only seems to happen when you have drove the car ? it can sit on the drive all week with the battery connected and everything is fine as i say only happens when the car has been used
The last time was this wednesday morning we drove to ASDA which is about 10 miles parked up ok was in the shop for about 1.1/2 hours  got to the car and everything was dead and the battery was HOT! Then my son came with an other battery put it on and it drove home perfect and still is ok
   Please any ideas  Cheers simon

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 TD estate battery boilling
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2009, 16:23:24 »

If the voltages are as you say... and it's behaved with the replacement battery ... my guess is the battery that was on before was FUBAR ...  :(

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2009, 16:37:52 »

Try disconnecting the power sounder and see if that makes a difference

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

KillerWatt

« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2009, 22:42:40 »

Did you take your voltage readings at tickover, or at 2000 rpm with the headlights on?

If the former, do the latter.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2009, 08:58:40 »

I cannot work out if this problem is being caused by the engine running, alternator overcharging etc, or being caused when the engine is at rest immediately afterwards, short circuit somewhere, cooling fan, solenoid, alarm etc.

Either way, I think you need a good autoelectrician to have a look asap, as boiling batteries can be potentially lethal.

Where abouts are you located? Are you near any OOfers that can help, or maybe someone nearby can recommend a good local sparkie to have a look.
www.dndservices.co.uk

simon1955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2009, 11:11:38 »

Hi Guys
just to say the volts were took at tick over and at 2000 rpm every thing there was ok
It can not be the battery has it has been through 2 new ones
It has already been at a Auto Electricians for a whole day and guess what they could not find anything wrong with it at that time ( the garage it went to is well known to us for auto problems  for years) and were concerned they could not find the fault
I dont know if its a problem when the car is running cause everything works ok it only happens when you stop but not every time and yes you would have thought their would have been some smoke or melted wires for how hot the battery gets not even a blown fuse
Vauxhall garage say there are no relays  in the charging circuit so it goes from battery to alternator to starter motor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2009, 12:03:36 »

Hi guys i hope you can help !! I have a1996 2.5TD Omega CDX manuel Estate  which i have had for 9 years and no problems at all untill now  It keeps cooking the battery As in it gets that hot their is no charge left in it at all ? all you have to do is wait for the battery to cool down then fill with water he recharge and it is ok agian frist it was happing every other month now its down to twice a week ! when car is running everything works no blown fuses or melted wires Its all so had a new battery (twice) new starter motor and alternator  their is no short on the battery leads when taking them off or on ,It all so runs just below 14volts when running and also when you turn everything on it drops to 13.6 volts  also the amps runs ok
 Anyway it only seems to happen when you have drove the car ? it can sit on the drive all week with the battery connected and everything is fine as i say only happens when the car has been used
The last time was this wednesday morning we drove to ASDA which is about 10 miles parked up ok was in the shop for about 1.1/2 hours  got to the car and everything was dead and the battery was HOT! Then my son came with an other battery put it on and it drove home perfect and still is ok

Simon, if its killing the Battery after a 10 min drive and then parked up, could be an Arced / Intermittent Glow Plug Relay. Had this on one of mine drove me mad.

Check this, might not be related thou.  :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215886367/1

Chris.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2009, 12:16:16 by zirk »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2009, 12:44:57 »

Simon, if its killing the Battery after a 10 min drive and then parked up, could be an Arced / Intermittent Glow Plug Relay. Had this on one of mine drove me mad.

Check this, might not be related thou.  :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215886367/1

Chris.

That would also be fairly easy to confirm with a clamp meter - but would have to be checked soon after car stopped, not after being left parked up for a while. You may find that the sparkie you went to left it in the yard for a few hours until they got around to it, where I suspect this really needs someone with a meter to take it for a drive and periodically measure under the bonnet.
www.dndservices.co.uk

simon1955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2009, 14:08:17 »

Hi Chris
Thanks for that about the Glow plug relay  will check if someone can point me to the right relay  ? Am i right to think its in the fuse box next to the battery ? so  which one  and what colour is it
Cheers Simon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2009, 15:52:46 »

Hi Chris
Thanks for that about the Glow plug relay  will check if someone can point me to the right relay  ? Am i right to think its in the fuse box next to the battery ? so  which one  and what colour is it
Cheers Simon

Correct, facing front of the Car it’s a Big Black one in the middle, right at the Back. It’s got a connector on the top of it which feed the Glow Plugs (thick wires) and some smaller ones for the Ing. sense.

The Relay contacts are wired directly to the Battery and rely on the Start Up timer to unlatch it, so if this is the problem and the relay is arcing across the only way to diss it is to pull the top plug off or diss the Battery.

Forgot to mention, if this is happening the Inlet Manifold will get really Hot (too hot to hold your Hands on for long, unless your a Chef).

Chris  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2009, 16:28:57 »

And if you are measuring current, most glow plugs can pull anywhere around 6 to 8 Amps each
www.dndservices.co.uk

simon1955

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2009, 17:27:44 »

Thanks Chris
                     Just pulled relay to bits and you were spot on  contacts have welded together
 So ordered a new one wait for it £ 80.00p + VAT will be here next monday
  Anyway thanks again Guys great help

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2009, 17:58:58 »

Thanks Chris
                     Just pulled relay to bits and you were spot on  contacts have welded together
 So ordered a new one wait for it £ 80.00p + VAT will be here next monday
  Anyway thanks again Guys great help

Great Stuff, not sure about the 80 quid bit though, still if its new should last another 9 years.  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2009, 18:56:10 »

Good diagnosis Chris !!

Will add that one to my book !

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

simon1955

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 June 2009, 15:02:50 »

Just to let you know Vauxhall UK dont stock that glow plug relay any more ! they say the car is to old
On monday the local Vauxhall Garage are going to try the Germans to if have one in stock  will have to keep finger's crossed or start looking for a  good second hand unit . Any body got one tuck away ?
  Cheers simon
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.