Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouldy interior  (Read 2838 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Mouldy interior
« on: 03 February 2021, 17:25:58 »

My car has been standing outside unused for about 4 months. I  have run the engine approx once a week.I now have mould appearing on various surfaces very bad on seat belts for some reason and on the passenger seat cloth.Any ideas on the best and safest way to get rid of this?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Mouldy interior
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2021, 17:46:46 »

Use a nylon brush with short stiff bristles - like a large nail brush. Finish off with a weak solution of upholstery cleaner used with the same brush.

It's worth examining the car for leaks; around the scuttle, front floors, rear sills and door shuts, plus all the seals

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2021, 17:47:47 »

Use a nylon brush with short stiff bristles - like a large nail brush. Finish off with a weak solution of upholstery cleaner used with the same brush.

It's worth examining the car for leaks; around the scuttle, front floors, rear sills and door shuts, plus all the seals
Yep, that's where the leaks will be....in all of those places  ;D
Diesel till I die

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2021, 18:08:55 »

could very well be a leak undoubtebly but also a result of just normal damp due to lack of use. if  i leave one of mine standing for 6 months the same happens. and not due to wet interior. a wipe off as nick says is all thats needed.
also not realy necessary to start engine every week. once a month will suffice realy. in any case make sure it gets up to temp and gets everything warm ( a good half hour minimum) or condensation can form doing more harm than good. ( or just disconnect battery if leaving standing )

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2021, 18:43:29 »

Cracking the windows on sunny days helps.

Mould is as much from historic use as damp... Crumbs and food grease from hands and fingers.

A nail brush and diluted bleach solution for the belts, ideally pulled all the way out and completely dry before allowing them to retract.

Ambersil foaming upholstery cleaner for everything else.
Onanists always think outside the box.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2021, 08:34:25 »

Thanks for the replies.I have looked for leaks in the past but have not found any.I hope that it is due to condensation but will still monitor for leaks.Cam why do you say disconnect battery.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2021, 08:50:13 »

Hello DG there are two ambersil products Amberclens and Ambersil Groom.Which do you recommend?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2021, 09:14:47 »

Hello DG there are two ambersil products Amberclens and Ambersil Groom.Which do you recommend?

clens is a multi-surface cleaner and will do the whole car; groom is a foaming one meant for upholstery.

Either will do your seat belts, as will any of the cheaper, generic equivalents available from other chemical companies; you'll have a choice in the household aisle in any big supermarket.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2021, 10:25:29 »

Thanks Nick :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2021, 11:00:38 »

Either or. I tend to use Groom (orange cap) on everything and I usually buy it in bulk ;)

The key thing with the belts is that they are completely dry before you retract them...
Onanists always think outside the box.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2021, 12:56:15 »

Thanks DG I have had a good check this morning for damp. I have a damp meter and with this there is evidence of damp, no standing water, on the passenger side below the door level front and back.I have always kept the  pollen filter area clean so wonder if there is a seam problem in that area.If so it looks like another omega is on its way out.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2021, 13:36:02 »

cars don't need to leak to get damp inside .
if you're getting in in winter ,wet from rain and sling damp coats in etc it soon builds up.
I spray all shopping with disinfectant ,that evaporates into the car  :D
stick a dehumidifier in if possible now and again ,
open the back window slightly when driving with the heat on

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2021, 18:53:02 »

Thanks for the replies.I have looked for leaks in the past but have not found any.I hope that it is due to condensation but will still monitor for leaks.Cam why do you say disconnect battery.
hi.my suggestion was if your leaving car for more than a couple of months its worth disconnecting battery if only to stop it going flat.however if you start it once a month and let it run for a good half hour all should be well .a good battery should be able to be left 2 to 3 months without going flat realy but batteries dont like being left partly discharged and dont always recover to their full capacity.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2021, 19:06:14 »

hi.my suggestion was if your leaving car for more than a couple of months its worth disconnecting battery if only to stop it going flat.however if you start it once a month and let it run for a good half hour all should be well .a good battery should be able to be left 2 to 3 months without going flat realy but batteries dont like being left partly discharged and dont always recover to their full capacity.

That used to be the case about 20 years ago, but not now I'm afraid ... with ultrasonic movement alarms, constantly "listening" unlocking mechansims, fancy radios and clocks, LEDs in alarms etc etc the battery drain on a "modern" car is way higher than it ever used to be.

The Omega I could leave for about 4-5 weeks before it started to struggle .. the Audi is about 21 days ...... which is why, under covid-19 it is permanently connected to a smart charger.... just isn't being used at the moment

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2021, 21:58:10 »

I did recently disconnect the battery and give it a charge with a smart charger. I wondered if it would be ok to leave the battery connected whilst charging can this give electronic problems.My radio is aftermarket and is not affected when the battery is disconnected.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.