Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering column advice please.  (Read 2090 times)

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
Steering column advice please.
« on: 03 September 2021, 09:11:20 »

Hi, I have a 1996 omega elite estate 3.0, it was my parents car, they bought it new and it’s only covered 46000 miles from new! I nearly sold it last year but have decided to give it i light restoration just to make it roadworthy as a project to work on with my son.
I have a problem, I’m quite tall and always found it uncomfortable to drive because the steering wheel isn’t height adjustable and the wheel rested on my knees, I read the later models came with adjustable columns.
Can an adjustable column be retrofitted without any modification? If so is there a particular column Regards,
Simon.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Steering column advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2021, 09:15:33 »

As it happens we have a how2 on that....
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90531.0

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2021, 09:25:34 »

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2021, 13:02:09 »

A 3.0 of that age would most likely be an Elite, very surprised that the column isn't adjustable.

More like the lever for it has been unscrewed. It lives down and back from the indicator stalk, and is barely three inches long, so might not be immediately obvious...

If it is missing, then you'll see an oval rubber grommet where it goes.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2021, 20:10:56 »

A 3.0 of that age would most likely be an Elite, very surprised that the column isn't adjustable.

More like the lever for it has been unscrewed. It lives down and back from the indicator stalk, and is barely three inches long, so might not be immediately obvious...

I thought that all early Omegas had a fixed column irrespective of trim level ... supposedly to ensure the airbag hit you at the optimum angle   :-\

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2021, 20:48:22 »

My '95 elite had a fixed column which I upgraded to a tilt.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2021, 20:53:23 »

I thought that all early Omegas had a fixed column irrespective of trim level ... supposedly to ensure the airbag hit you at the optimum angle   :-\

That's right, same reason the last Cavaliers fitted with airbags and early Vectra B's didn't have it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2021, 22:44:06 »

Given that the majority of cars are built to safely accommodate 95th percentile of people.  :-\

Presumably the fixed position is roughly in the central adjuster position, so would politely suggest adjusting the seat to a more appropriate position before swapping out the column. And that's as a 6'2" person who tends to have the seat set high...

Put another way, I think the only time I ever moved an Omega wheel was to the lower position to make it easier to pull the cluster :-\

Having said all of that, one of the S Class gadgets is an automatic easy entry mode on the steering column, with memory so it always returns to same spot when you turn the ignition on. Which is nice.

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2021, 00:31:23 »

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I have been doing research, it appears all early omegas has fixed columns due to airbag angle.
And to add some additional info,
Mine is a 3.0 Elite estate.
I’m 6’ 4” tall, no matter what position the seat is in the steering wheel rests on my knees, it’s quite uncomfortable and also makes it awkward getting in and out.
I’m going to try starting it again on Sunday, if this fails then I’m going to scrap it, it has practically no value, I have another car (Capri) to restore and can’t afford to restore both, I have 2 other cars and a motorbike on the road the omega is completely unnecessary I’m just going to mess about with it, if it runs i might consider modifying it and occasionally using it. Don’t know yet.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2021, 08:50:18 »

Having said all of that, one of the S Class gadgets is an automatic easy entry mode on the steering column, with memory so it always returns to same spot when you turn the ignition on. Which is nice.
My ML does that  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2021, 09:52:24 »

Thank you all for taking time to reply. I have been doing research, it appears all early omegas has fixed columns due to airbag angle.
And to add some additional info,
Mine is a 3.0 Elite estate.
I’m 6’ 4” tall, no matter what position the seat is in the steering wheel rests on my knees, it’s quite uncomfortable and also makes it awkward getting in and out.
I’m going to try starting it again on Sunday, if this fails then I’m going to scrap it, it has practically no value, I have another car (Capri) to restore and can’t afford to restore both, I have 2 other cars and a motorbike on the road the omega is completely unnecessary I’m just going to mess about with it, if it runs i might consider modifying it and occasionally using it. Don’t know yet.
You make it sound like it points at your spleen.

In the high position you will find your knuckles hit the dash pad as you drive...

Oh, and later cars have airbags too ::)

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2021, 09:00:21 »

I didn’t want the wheel raised at a ridiculously high position, just off my knees at a comfortable driving position,  And to be honest I’m not sure I can even be bothered, it’s a worthless pile of junk.
Realistically what is it worth? Even roadworthy with an mot in a half reasonable condition it’s probably not worth £500 and to get it to roadworthy it needs a lot of work.
The only reason I’m even considering messing around with it is it’s my parents car, they bought it almost brand new, it was about 4 months old so,there is a little sentimental value and my son had show an interest in getting it going.
Here is a list of the major things that need looking at,
It has sat in the same position for nearly 11 years, only started 2 or 3 times,
It’s currently not running,
The tyres have perished,
The headlights have faded,
There is a coolant leak in the passenger footwell (probably the heater matrix)
The discs are rusted,
The callipers are at least in need of a overhaul but probably need replacing,
The brake hoses will need replacing
It’s 25 years old, all the rubber components will be perished
The paint has faded and there are a couple of surface rust points.
And the list goes on….
So, is it worth the bother when I have no need for it, i should have scrapped it years ago.
But today I’m going to drain any fuel that might be remaining, put a new fuel filter on, stick a gallon of fuel in, fit a new battery and see what happens.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2021, 09:32:50 »

The headlights have faded,
There is a coolant leak in the passenger footwell (probably the heater matrix)

Are you sure it's coolant in the footwell and not the scuttle tray (pollen filter area) blocked and overflowing with rain water.
The faded headlights are usually an easy fix with wet and dry, a spray bottle of water and car polish.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2021, 10:43:43 »

Hi, the scuttle tray is blocked with moss, leaves dirt and whatever else has accumulated in there since it’s been standing, I’m going to sort that out later but the footwell is dry at the minute. When it was last driven by my mum about 11 years ago it was loosing coolant and the passenger footwell carpet was wet. It was not mine to mess about with at that point so I could only advise my mum what I suspected it was.
It was considered uneconomical to repair even back then when it did have some value and that’s why it ended up parked where it is and my mum has not driven a car since.
I’m going to have a look at it later, if it fires up I will stick some coolant in it and see what happens but I suspect either a failed matrix or perished hose under the dashboard. A very time consuming job unless I cut holes which I don’t want to do.
The headlights are likely beyond repair, the plastic has yellowed badly, it’s not the first time! They were rubbed down and polished about 12 years ago I think the best thing to do would be replace them if I chose to get it roadworthy.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2021, 11:01:19 »

You sound like you're familiar with a bit of spanner twirling and, being as you're the one with the car in front of you, I would trust your own judgment.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2021, 11:39:39 »

Sounds like it's long overdue a reincarnation. So send it off to become bean tins.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2021, 11:54:37 »

If it has been parked up for 11 years, why is any of that a surprise?

A bit of time and effort and you will have a reasonable, low mileage example of what continues to be a pretty decent car.

I wouldn't be to hung up on the steering wheel position... The adjustable one only has three positions: up, middle, down, and it's hinged at the front of the dash and it has no reach adjustment.

Personally, I would start by cleaning it inside and out, and then go through it to form a list of jobs and go from there.

Trying to start it will be a waste of time as it will probably need a fuel pump, hoses etc... It's not like trying to revive a carb fuelled relic... Before you know it, you'll be £300 into it and it will still look like shit.

Clean it, assess the corrosion and go from there :y If you don't have the inclination to do that, then the Omega probably isn't for you. In which case, you may as well list it on ebay/Facebook market place and let someone else deal with it. You'll probably get more than scrap for it too...

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2021, 17:19:56 »

In answer to the previous reply, yes I’m handy with a set of spanner’s, I was a mechanic many years ago but do something else for a living now.
So if anyone is interested, I tried starting it with a gallon of fresh fuel, it wouldn’t fire. I put a small amount directly into the air intake and it fired straight away so the engine is still good. It has no fuel supply. So I have removed the cover from the fuel pump, Both the supply and return hoses were bone dry. The pump has power going to it but the pump is dead. I take the cover off and find a murky mess at the bottom of the tank, that a fresh gallon of fuel ruined! But I might drain it out with a hand pump, filter it and put it back in. The hoses inside the tank were flat, they have collapsed and also they are tacky like they are decomposing. Now I’m going to source a new fuel pump, new fuel filter and replace any perished hoses.
The car itself apart from deteriorated paint and a little rust is in relatively good condition for its age, it’s kind of worth resurrecting it just to teach my son a bit about cars.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2021, 18:01:28 »

I'm interested   :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2021, 08:34:01 »

all a matter of your own personal interest and opinion but if it were me :
i would love to have one of my parents cars back in the family but sadly both my parents and all the cars we had are now long gone but then i am quite a sentimental person and still have lots of my parents stuff in the house which has been our family home since i was about 5.
the fact that its a 100% known vehicle,low mileage and doesnt sound like much to get it all sorted would also sway my desision to do it. but as i say its personal choice .
you might not get a chance again and once its gone its gone forever !

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2021, 17:50:34 »

Today for some reason I have been thinking a lot about this poxy car and couldn’t resist passing by my mums house to have a look at it. It does have some sentimental value so for that reason alone I will give it a chance. I have removed the fuel pump, I will test it later but it’s going to be knackered. The fuel tank cover is ok on the outside but inside it’s quite rusty, the internal terminals for the pump and sender unit are a little corroded but possibly fixable. The sender units wiring has completely perished, it’s also quite stiff, I will try to restore it but I doubt it will work. The hoses are literally melted into a horrible black goo at the bottom of the tank, it just took 10mins to get off my fingers.
I could do with a little advice though, the fuel pump and sender unit sit inside a plastic cowling, I need to remove this to replace the perished fuel hose at the bottom also to clear up as much of the nasty residue as possible from the bottom of the tank. I have a workshop manual but cannot find any mention of how to remove this, can anyone help??? I’m presuming it’s just clipped in but I forgot my inspection lamp and was working with my iPhone torch trying not to drop it into the tank!
Any help would be much appreciated.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2021, 18:07:34 »

Three tabs, evenly spaced around the top edge, and the basket simply lifts out :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2021, 18:14:50 »

Diesel till I die

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2021, 19:28:36 »

It not the fuel pump I’m trying to remove, the fuel pumps sits inside a plastic cradle that’s removed by loosening the 3 clips and it easily lifts out, that’s been done the sender unit is also out, again easy to remove.
It’s the plastic shroud that sits in the bottom of the tank that the fuel pump, the fuel pump housing and sender unit sit in that I need out to replace the hose and flush the tank.
I could move it slightly, it’s loose like it’s clipped in but I couldn’t see any obvious clips at the bottom of the tank partly because of inadequate lighting and my workshop manual has no info.
A previous reply had a link with a picture that was the pump and is housing not the shroud.
Does anyone have any more specific advice?

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2021, 19:36:14 »

It not the fuel pump I’m trying to remove, the fuel pumps sits inside a plastic cradle that’s removed by loosening the 3 clips and it easily lifts out, that’s been done the sender unit is also out, again easy to remove.
It’s the plastic shroud that sits in the bottom of the tank that the fuel pump, the fuel pump housing and sender unit sit in that I need out to replace the hose and flush the tank.
I could move it slightly, it’s loose like it’s clipped in but I couldn’t see any obvious clips at the bottom of the tank partly because of inadequate lighting and my workshop manual has no info.
A previous reply had a link with a picture that was the pump and is housing not the shroud.
Does anyone have any more specific advice?
Hmmmm......next time you take a peek in there, use a match for light?  ;D

Sorry  :-[
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 September 2021, 20:06:24 »

Drop the tank and drain/clean it properly.  :y

The fuel lines etc are already disconnected, so it's really just a question of jacking the car to sit the back end on ramps and undoing the straps.  ;)

At least that way you know you are working safely and can steam/wash all the gunge out of it.

Turbonutter666

• Harlow, Essex
    • Audi A6 LeMans 3.0 tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 September 2021, 20:22:08 »

Thanks for the help, I will have another look on Sunday. In the meantime I will try to work out how to remove the shroud inside the tank to replace the hose, fully drain the tank and clear out the nastiness resting on the bottom.
I also need to source a new fuel pump and internal filter, sender unit, hoses, tank cover, cover gasket and inline fuel filter. All for a car I will probably never use but it’s a bit of fun getting it going again.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 September 2021, 21:36:36 »

There's a pair of hoses from the top plate. One goes to the pump outlet as a kind of pig tail. The other one is a straight run to the base of the housing as the return... this simply sits there as far as I can recall. It has been a while, but I have changed several Omega pumps.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.