Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloomberg take on UK's unique way of doing business  (Read 1540 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Bloomberg take on UK's unique way of doing business
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2022, 14:23:29 »

If the link doesn't work for you:
In a world reeling from soaring inflation and weak growth, the UK holds a special place. It’s on track to be the advanced nations’ stagflation capital. Prices are expected to rise 13.1% over this year and next, the most in the Group of Seven, and the UK will drop to the bottom of the pack for growth in 2023, according to the International Monetary Fund. The National Institute of Economic & Social Research reckons the country will be in recession before next year.
It’s a curious form of exceptionalism but one that’s become all too familiar. Whenever a squall in the global economy lands on the shores of the UK, it has a tendency to turn into a tempest. The collapse in 2020 after Covid-19 struck was the deepest of the G-7. Fourteen years after the 2008 financial crisis, the government still owns 48% of NatWest Group Plc, the rebranded Royal Bank of Scotland. The US, where it all started, moved on long ago.
When trouble strikes, the UK ends up sprawled on the canvas because, more than others, its economy lacks resilience. It’s a lesson in the dangers of just-in-time hyperefficiency, a culture focused more on cutting costs than on investing for the future. Never has that been more apparent than now. The UK’s inflation shock will be nastier than in the US and Europe, says Alfred Kammer, the IMF’s European director, because it combines “the worst of the two worlds”—America’s labor shortages and Europe’s energy crisis. Both can be traced to structural capacity shortages.
Almost half of the UK’s gas is domestic, sourced from the North Sea, but there’s no storage. Rough, the last major facility, was closed in 2017 because it had become “uneconomic,” according to its owner. This, combined with a laissez-faire approach to energy security that’s put almost half the country’s nuclear power capacity on track to be decommissioned by 2024—two years before any replacement comes onstream—has left the UK exposed to the whims of the spot price in energy markets. High fuel prices are punishing households and spurring the cost-of-living crisis.
It’s not hard to see what the alternative might’ve been. In the past few weeks the UK has imported so much liquefied natural gas (LNG) that it has more than it can use. The UK’s gas price is now a third lower than continental Europe’s. Were Rough still open, the energy shock would be less severe. The crisis is partially self-inflicted.
A similar story can be told about the tight labor market. Michael Saunders, a member of the Bank of England’s rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee, on May 9 said it was “possible that Brexit has steepened the wage and price curves” by reducing labor supply and curtailing some imports.
The labor market is now so tight that, for the first time ever, there are more job vacancies than there are unemployed. Since the start of the pandemic, the workforce has shrunk by 440,000. Almost half the decline can be accounted for by a drop in EU workers. Former Monetary Policy Committee member Adam Posen told members of Parliament on May 11, “A substantial majority of the inflation differential for the UK over the euro area is due to Brexit.” Leaving the European Union, Britain exposed its over-reliance on cheap migrant labor.
The Covid recession in 2020 also showed the danger of short-sightedness. The government’s lockdown policy was meant to prevent the National Health Service from being overwhelmed. Years of underspending, relative to gross domestic product per capita, had stretched the NHS to its limits. With little give in the system, lockdowns had to be extended to prevent even more deaths.
Undercapacity was to blame again with regard to the stockpile of personal protective equipment, much of which had degraded before Covid. In the global scramble for supplies, the UK overpaid to such an extent that it wrote off £4.7 billion ($5.9 billion) in “inflated prices” and a half-billion pounds in unusable gear, the Department of Health and Social Care later said.
Turn the clock back further, and the same lack of resilience was true of UK banks. In 2008 they were running on fumes. RBS’s equity capital was so thin that losses of only £1.97 on every £100 of loans were enough to bankrupt the lender, the UK financial regulator later calculated. Banks around the world were undercapitalized, but the UK’s biggest was the worst.
UK business in general embodies this trimmed-to-the-bone approach, choosing to cut costs rather than invest in growth. Businesses invest only 10% of GDP in the UK, vs. 14% in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, and spend a third less training staff. One European industrialist put it this way: When the Germans see a shiny new machine, they want it; when the Brits see it, they ask how much it costs.
The government set the tone in the 1980s when it sold off the family silver to pay its bills. Companies were privatized and social housing sold sometimes “below their retention value,” Richard Hughes, now chairman of the government’s fiscal watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, wrote in 2019.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2022, 14:27:16 »

Such short-termism has left public-sector net worth, a measure of long-term fiscal sustainability, deeply negative. The value of the UK’s liabilities is about £2.2 trillion greater than the value of its assets. With the exception of Italy, no other G-7 government owes that much more than it owns.
Along the way, the UK has learned how to make markets work for it. Like the US, it teamed up with the private sector to focus capitalism’s animal spirits on the task of delivering a Covid vaccine. The UK’s success and speed of rollout lay behind the fastest economic rebound of the G-7 in 2021. The recent success the UK has had importing LNG is another example. Andrew Bailey, the BOE governor, even drew parallels between the surge in gas imports and the vaccine task force, calling on May 5 for an equivalent laserlike “focus on the resilience of energy supply.”
When conditions are perfect, the open-market economic efficiency of the UK is a virtue, delivering growth that tends to outpace that of its European peers. But during shocks such as these, the UK pays a price.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2022, 14:28:13 »

That's a bit of a read, but nicely encapsulates the financial problems we face, I think
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2022, 14:32:38 »

I suggest that people are not too elderly before they start reading. It's rather lengthy.

I will make the effort though. :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2022, 14:36:44 »

I suggest that people are not too elderly before they start reading. It's rather lengthy.

It's not just the reading, it's also the comprehension. I wouldn't bother if I were you  :)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2022, 14:36:49 »

To say that the US moved on long ago isn't strictly accurate...

Unless by 'moved on' they meant carried on regardless...  :-X

Inside Job and The Big Short, both currently on Netflix, reach fundamentally the same conclusion on the matter...

Nothing changed.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2022, 14:38:42 »

Inside Job and The Big Short, both currently on Netflix, reach fundamentally the same conclusion on the matter...

Nothing changed.
I think they're saying the US moved on from having to support the economy/banks.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2022, 14:40:34 »

Everyone will take their, personal, bit away from that. Jaime will zone right in on the Brexit bit  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2022, 14:50:24 »

It's not just the reading, it's also the comprehension. I wouldn't bother if I were you  :)

Yes, only an intellectual colossus such as yourself (and perhaps Einstein) could possibly understand. ;D ;D

I shall try though in my own feeble way, in the hope that I'm not too far out of my depth. :-* :-*

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2022, 14:52:19 »

It's The WHO I am concerned about. :-X

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2022, 14:56:35 »

They stopped making records years ago.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2022, 15:02:41 »

You should bone up on this topic.

The WHO is essentially funded by the Chinese and Bill Gates. It is totally undemocratic and like the EU on steroids. I'm amazed how much power government(s) are willing to give away. :-X

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2022, 15:05:34 »

The WHO is essentially funded by the Chinese and Bill Gates. It is totally undemocratic and like the EU on steroids. I'm amazed how much power government(s) are willing to give away. :-X
Probably, but absolutely nothing to do with the link I posted. Get your own thread.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2022, 15:07:08 »

Read it all, had a couple of extra beers & trying not to worry about it too much .👍
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2022, 15:10:48 »

Probably, but absolutely nothing to do with the link I posted. Get your own thread.

You know as well as me that an OOF thread can can from a Devon cream tea to the female orgasm*.

*Vagina variant.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2022, 15:14:08 »

Read it all, had a couple of extra beers & trying not to worry about it too much .👍
Not really a worrying item, just proof, if we needed it, that Napoleon was right when he said we were a nation of shopkeepers. Always trying to save a few bob today, and letting tomorrow look after itself.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2022, 15:17:31 »

That's why our public services, our railways, our national health service, etc., are in such a bad way. We try to make do with throwing good money after bad, spending as little as possible on sticking plasters, instead of ripping it all up and starting again.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2022, 15:30:18 »

That's why our public services, our railways, our national health service, etc., are in such a bad way. We try to make do with throwing good money after bad, spending as little as possible on sticking plasters, instead of ripping it all up and starting again.
Maybe Vlad will press the reset button for us  :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2022, 15:36:00 »

You really should get out more, Dave. Wearing your mask and tin foil hat, of course.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2022, 15:49:34 »

You really should get out more, Dave. Wearing your mask and tin foil hat, of course.
Na , it's too "peopley" outside  :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2022, 16:19:14 »

Nothing changed.
I think they're saying the US moved on from having to support the economy/banks.
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are still federally bankrolled (which is why it is possible to leave university with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans), and the banks that were bailed out never had to repay a penny and all their CEOs/former CEOs either run or consult on all federal financial bodies.

This is also why I have a fairly low opinion of JP Morgan Chase et al.

Not one person responsible for the events that led to the 2008 crash even had to repay their bonuses, let alone bear responsibility, and the only two people actually held accountable were two Credit Suisse traders who hadn't actually done anything related to what really happened.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2022, 16:22:58 by Doctor Gollum »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2022, 16:27:53 »

Actually, that's not quite fair...

When the tax payers bailed out AIG, AIG was forced to repay what it owed to (then) Morgan Stanley at 100¢ on the dollar. Using tax payers money.

The architect of that deal? Hank Paulson, George W's Treasury Secretary, former CEO of MorganStanley and one of the founding fathers of the whole cluster fluck  :-X

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2022, 16:42:19 »

Read an article a few years ago about modernising our railways the best way forward would be double decker carriages so more people could be carried, but unfortunately with our dated railway system incorporating tunnels it would be financially impossible.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2022, 17:26:39 »

Read an article a few years ago about modernising our railways the best way forward would be double decker carriages so more people could be carried, but unfortunately with our dated railway system incorporating tunnels it would be financially impossible.

I think every public service system is dated in this country.

The NHS was founded in 1948 by the Attlee led Labour government. It was the future and the envy of the world for 20 years or so. Now it seems hopelessly dated and not fit for the 21st century.

I know it is a sacred cow but I think we need to start again from scratch.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2022, 17:43:48 »

That was in fact tried back in the late 1940’s on the Southern Region, with a full set of the coaches still in use into 1971 when I last saw them at Charing Cross Station.  The trouble was, with our commuter rail traffic were speed is everything, the experiment was deemed a failure as it took long for the passengers to disembark, then embark, due to the double layers of passenger space.

Please see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=southern+region+double+decker+train&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB590GB592&oq=southern+double+passenger&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i546l4.15643j1j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2022, 18:21:57 »

Yeah, Daltry's voice is total shit now too.  :-[

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2022, 19:06:51 »

Yeah, Daltry's voice is total shit now too.  :-[
He is rather OLD  ::)  probably not got the strength to pull back the plunger on the pinball machine anymore  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2022, 19:30:12 »

That was in fact tried back in the late 1940’s on the Southern Region, with a full set of the coaches still in use into 1971 when I last saw them at Charing Cross Station.  The trouble was, with our commuter rail traffic were speed is everything, the experiment was deemed a failure as it took long for the passengers to disembark, then embark, due to the double layers of passenger space.

Please see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=southern+region+double+decker+train&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB590GB592&oq=southern+double+passenger&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i546l4.15643j1j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Not surprised that design didn't catch on. Had one had a noteworthy accident, they would have been scrapped much sooner.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2022, 20:36:11 »

Please see:
Not surprised that design didn't catch on. Had one had a noteworthy accident, they would have been scrapped much sooner.

Indeed, Health & Safety today would never approve them ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2022, 22:08:05 »

Please see:

Indeed, Health & Safety today would never approve them ;D ;)
Trains without inter carriage connections were outlawed following several high profile assaults, particularly on the South East Lundun/Kent services. I was probably still at school when that happened.

Double decker trains elsewhere are particularly efficient as commuter transport with well designed easy, and equal access to both levels from platform height lobbies without being excessively tall.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2022, 22:51:17 »

Sorry. I passed. So, no comment.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.