Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My LR Reliability thread  (Read 5661 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: My LR Reliability thread
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2022, 12:30:37 »

I am more concerned that this garage is not even thinking about the symptoms and codes, they are just sending it off for a third party guess

I wouldn't be at this stage.

As I am not paying I have asked them to do only what the supplying dealer asked for at the time they ask for it. They did have a poke about under the bonnet while the computer was doing its thing but said they couldn't see anything split or that had come off. The indie did speculate to me that it could be a sticky EGR, or a DPF beginning to clog. What they actually proposed to me was to get the car in, on the ramp and start looking it over properly. Which is the obvious answer, but until the supplying dealer authorises that time to be spent, it won't happen.

For the very little its worth I am not sure I "buy" the DPF or split hose suggestions, reason being that when I took the car in, the first thing they did was clear the pre-existing codes (after taking a record of them) and suggest I test drive it to see what codes came back. By the time I'd been round the block and returned to the garage it was running really rough (more early 2000's ford TDDI than 2015 Duratorq), but as soon as I switched it off and on again it was back to idling normally. I am not sure how a split hose or clogged DPF would give these syptoms as cycling the ignition wouldn't unsplit or unclog anything. Assuming the EGR has some electronic actuator on it, then that could well be a plausible root cause.

Customer service 101... Make the customer think that you are doing something.

And if the selling dealer is miles away, it is easier for them to have someone independent near you, the customer, look at it.

I don't think anyone in this process is incentivised to drag their heels. I've already made the supplying dealer I am aware of my rights vis a vis returning the vehicle and for my part I really want to be driving the thing, not parking it at the garage.  ;D
« Last Edit: 26 July 2022, 12:32:26 by Viral_Jim »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2022, 13:10:56 »

Sorry to hear this, Jim. :-\

I know that LR are not best known for peerless reliability but it is still a pain in the arse.

After it is fixed hopefully you will get many years of trouble free motoring. :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 July 2022, 13:12:11 »

Had a split turbo hose last year towing the caravan back from Devon, slight loss of power and a bit of black smoke once rested at the services ran perfectly till we got home replaced at my indie for £18.00.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2022, 14:25:46 »

It's not about dragging heels so much as creating the illusion of doing something whilst actually passing the buck to someone else :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 July 2022, 10:25:21 »

So, we progress, although not all that far...

After running through the required diagnostics, the garage found that the issue is a badly cracked inlet manifold. I have no idea how this would make the problem intermittent as described but there we are... that's why I am not a mechanic.

The problem is that, it being 2022, there aren't any to be bought from LR as apparently they are on back order. The supplying dealer is trying to persuade the LR dealer network to cough one up that is already allocated to a job (apparently they are about half a dozen found so far, in various corners of the UK).

Where I have left it with the dealer is that if they can find a new, unused genuine part (complete with genuine LR/dealer invoice) within a couple of days then I am happy to proceed with the repair. If they cannot, then the car will need to be returned to them. At this rate this could be by far and away the shortest car ownership experience of my life   :-\

The failure of such a major component after 5yrs/51,000 miles also doesn't bode well for the long term but hey ho, that's a problem for another day.  ;D   

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 July 2022, 10:56:40 »

My engine is a Ford/Pug production, and guess what? Yup, prone to split intake fanimolds.  I thought I had one a couple of years ago, as it kept going into Restricted Perfromance all the time  (a restart cures it, temporarily).  Fortunately in my case, it was a split (plastic) throttle body, so that only took me 30 mins to fix, not 8+ hours on one of the manifolds.

Given that you've only had it 30s, I wouldn't mind betting thats why the previous owner got shot of it.  Although hopefully on your engine, its a far simpler job than on mine.

I don't think JLR products deserve the reliability reputation they get.  Yes, a BMW era 1990's Range Rover was a crock, more so that a BL era one.  But since parting with BMW, I think quality and reliability has improved.  A warning to all companies - good reputation is worth hanging on to at the expense of short term profit, bad reputation can take decades to change.

Although, JLR clearly need to change their bought-in engine manifolds, and also change their door latch provider ;D

Hope it gets sorted quickly, and you can start to enjoy what is a nice place to be when cruising around.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 July 2022, 12:51:33 »

Being a simpleton, I would have thought that making things out of plastic, when the operate a) under pressure and b) in a high temperature environment (in this case a very short distance away from the dpf for one thing) would be a recipe for problems. But hey, what do I know…

It is a shame though, because the car is a genuinely lovely place to sit, far nicer than the competition offer, in fact that’s what persuaded me to set aside my misgivings about the brand and buy one. Not that I’ve had more luck with certain other brands in the past ;D.

The supplying dealer are having the car taken back to them today on a low loader. It remains to be seen if I ever see it again…  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 July 2022, 13:22:17 »

So, we progress, although not all that far...

After running through the required diagnostics, the garage found that the issue is a badly cracked inlet manifold. I have no idea how this would make the problem intermittent as described but there we are... that's why I am not a mechanic.

The problem is that, it being 2022, there aren't any to be bought from LR as apparently they are on back order. The supplying dealer is trying to persuade the LR dealer network to cough one up that is already allocated to a job (apparently they are about half a dozen found so far, in various corners of the UK).

Where I have left it with the dealer is that if they can find a new, unused genuine part (complete with genuine LR/dealer invoice) within a couple of days then I am happy to proceed with the repair. If they cannot, then the car will need to be returned to them. At this rate this could be by far and away the shortest car ownership experience of my life   :-\

The failure of such a major component after 5yrs/51,000 miles also doesn't bode well for the long term but hey ho, that's a problem for another day.  ;D

Yes.....if the period without your new wheels is brief it may be the way to go......I wouldn't let it drag on though.

How much warranty came with the car?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 July 2022, 13:31:23 »

Being a simpleton, I would have thought that making things out of plastic, when the operate a) under pressure and b) in a high temperature environment (in this case a very short distance away from the dpf for one thing) would be a recipe for problems. But hey, what do I know…
I know.  I assumed it was unique of my V6 in mine, being made by the rotten combination of Ford and Peugeot....   ....what could possibly go worng?  But since learnt its quite widespread now :(
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 July 2022, 13:34:38 »

Yes.....if the period without your new wheels is brief it may be the way to go......I wouldn't let it drag on though.

How much warranty came with the car?

Indeed, I'm giving them fair chance to find a part, but I reckon if they haven't magicked one up in the next 48hrs, it won't be forthcoming.

Warranty is 3yrs, £10k claim limit, total limit to the invoice value of the car. Covers everything as far as I can tell. Not that we're dipping into that yet, currently it's all on the supplying dealer.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 July 2022, 13:59:08 »

Indeed, I'm giving them fair chance to find a part, but I reckon if they haven't magicked one up in the next 48hrs, it won't be forthcoming. ....

anything on eBay? :-\ :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 July 2022, 15:16:30 »

A possibility, and 100% one I would look into if the car were out of warranty Andy. TBH at the moment I have plenty on with a house move, and job change in the space of a month, so I am letting the garage get on with it for now. I also don't have a part number to hand to know what I am looking for.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 July 2022, 15:18:03 »

A possibility, and 100% one I would look into if the car were out of warranty Andy. TBH at the moment I have plenty on with a house move, and job change in the space of a month, so I am letting the garage get on with it for now. I also don't have a part number to hand to know what I am looking for.

.......and breathe. ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 July 2022, 16:11:06 »

.......and breathe. ;)

Plenty of time for that when your dea.....

Nevermind  ;D

Been eyeing up a 1.9cdti signum elite to get me mobile if it all goes titsup

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 July 2022, 16:57:35 »

:y :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.