Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: £6000 ave. energy bills  (Read 1300 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
£6000 ave. energy bills
« on: 20 August 2022, 19:06:25 »

Now it is being broadcast that the average energy bills for homes will hit £6,000 at the beginning of 2023! :o

Now with tens of thousands starting to struggle, how the f’ing hell do our dear politicians think millions in this country are going to afford that?  Low income families with children are just going to implode! :o >:(

It is about time that the democratic leaders of the multiple nations being affected by this crisis on this planet actually do more than just talk.  There must be an answer than putting sticky plasters on the problem. It requires drastic action now.

Russia, or rather Putin, is the main cause of what everyone is suffering from in many ways. So, what is it that should be done by NATO and the UN?

I complain about war and mans passionately pursuing that option so often………but, now swallowing hard and gulping………should the mass armed forces of our nations attack Russia, or at least target the Kremlin with Putin and his bunch of thugs, with a first, hard, and massive strike………nuclear should be avoided, perhaps, but we know from history only a massive, determined, military action will destroy the forces of the enemy. ??  I understand from the various military and media reports that Russian forces are now much weakened, and in fact have been shown to have big flaws, with low morale and soldiers (with families at home) questioning why they are fighting their brothers in Ukraine. Should we bite the bullet now? Stand up to the tyrants? Give Ukraine a massive military boost to finally cripple Putin’s forces and reputation?

What are the thoughts on here?  We would risk WW3; China is an unknown factor, but the civilised world with the common people cannot carryon being seriously damaged, as being virtually squeezed out of existence by a lack of food, heating, lighting, fuel for everything!  £6,000 my arse!! :o :o >:(
>:(

« Last Edit: 20 August 2022, 19:08:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: £6000 ave. energy bills
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2022, 20:24:33 »

When Putin annexed Crimea and nothing was done he was always going to push for more.Agreed he needs stopping in some way but a direct attack either on him and/or the Kremlin would I think certainly bring on WWIII.,which would have the potential to be the shortest war in history and the end of mankind.Apart from Russia cutting back/stopping supplies of gas etc in response to sanctions I think the cost of fuels is being held artificially high by the greed of investors who are busy making millions[billions?].With the increasing use of wind/solar power why is the cost still so high? Yes there is the cost of making/installing wind turbines/solar panels but the energy source is then basically free.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2022, 20:40:27 »

Wear a jumper.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2022, 21:13:12 »

I agree. Swmbo may not though. She was wearing a jumper yesterday afternoon when it was 25degrees.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2022, 22:16:19 »

Aren’t we already in WW3 ?

Your government is paralysed waiting for a new pm. Others are already acting.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2022, 23:08:49 »

Fear not. The government has plans to save us from perishing in the cold. Libraries and museums will provide safe and warm refuges from Jack Frost  ;D ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/20/libraries-and-museums-to-be-warm-havens-for-people-struggling-with-energy-bills
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2022, 23:36:47 »

Fear not. The government has plans to save us from perishing in the cold. Libraries and museums will provide safe and warm refuges from Jack Frost  ;D ;D

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/20/libraries-and-museums-to-be-warm-havens-for-people-struggling-with-energy-bills
Not too good if you live in the middle of nowhere and there's only one bus a week into the nearest town.  :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2022, 23:56:51 »

Calm down dear!  ::)

These £5000-6000 energy bills that everyone is talking about is mostly speculation from Britain's utterly corrupt media trying to sell papers and it's good clickbait as everyone likes a good doom and gloom story. House price crash anyone?  ::)

No one, not the corrupt media nor the Chairman of British Gas, or the man on the Clapham Omnibus have a scoobies as to what the wholesale price of natural gas might be come the spring. It might have rocketed due to various global factors such as the war in Ukraine or mad Net Zero policies around the world, or it might have completely slumped for some reason.  We just don't know.  ;)

So keep calm and carry on!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2022, 00:26:27 »

Slumped?

I cannotthink of anything that has slumped in price? Mostly stuffgoes up and stays up.

In the case of energy IF the raw materials come down, energy will stay high to recoup losses or to pay fornew i frastructure. Storage, windmills, solar, coal mines etc

I am with
Izzie on this one.  Everything is pretty orderly at the moment. It will only take a small upset.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2022, 00:53:59 »

Well there are people on this world living without gas or electricity and are happy.  Putin has said if there’s no Russia there will be no world. I think we should have tried to do more before this lot started but obviously that doesn’t help now, next step well, we’re dammed if we do and dammed if we don’t in my opinion.
Laying a rubber road.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2022, 08:18:59 »

I was just going to cancel my direct debit & pay for what I use but then Scottish Power my provider offered a 2 year fixed deal which didn't seem unreasonable, so I took the offer, however now they are only offering a 1 year fix at £160 a month more than I am paying so glad I made the right decision.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2022, 09:00:40 »

Slumped?

I cannotthink of anything that has slumped in price? Mostly stuffgoes up and stays up.

In the case of energy IF the raw materials come down, energy will stay high to recoup losses or to pay fornew i frastructure. Storage, windmills, solar, coal mines etc

I am with
Izzie on this one.  Everything is pretty orderly at the moment. It will only take a small upset.
Have you heard of inflation?

If anything,  this is simply the price for shitting the global economy down for two years.

If anything,  the Chinese are definitely up to no good,  but that's nothing new.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2022, 09:59:09 »

I was under the impression that quite a lot of our energy was generated by wind & solar power nowadays.
Do we need to import cheaper wind / sunlight ?
Has Putin captured all the cheap wind / sunlight ?  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2022, 10:05:23 »

There was a bit on the news last week about an import of liquifed natural gas arriving here from Australia, seems ridiculous coming from the other side of the world,
« Last Edit: 21 August 2022, 10:08:59 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2022, 10:20:46 »

I was under the impression that quite a lot of our energy was generated by wind & solar power nowadays.
Do we need to import cheaper wind / sunlight ?
Has Putin captured all the cheap wind / sunlight ?  ::)

Yes, renewables will account for 45% of the electricity generated in the U.K. in 2022, so we are getting there.  The only challenge as of today is that 55% is still generated by other means, so what Putin is doing does affect our ability to generate cheaper power considerably, for now. Of course with other European countries even more at the mercy of Russian gas supplies, and the price they pay, the whole market price is being pushed upwards.

I agree with Baza that of course the greed of investors in the energy markets is also a very big factor in the current situation.  Perhaps we should suspend capitalism in this market and have the government tax those institutions and individuals responsible for excessive profit taking to give back to the people - of course useless Starmer has suggested this - but how does that work in a global market with global players in the market ‘game’??

I just don’t know. But certainly the current situation with market prices must be resolved, but how outside of military action against Putin.  I repeat though, I do not want WW3.

One hope is that forces within Russia will deal with Putin.  The latest news that the daughter of a key advisor to Putin has been killed in a bomb attack, which seems to have been aimed at the father, gives an indication that anti-Putin pressures are growing in Russia.

So perhaps we should just let the Ukrainians and those in Russia opposed to Putin bring the him down, with our governments doing whatever they can to counter the fuel price increases?? ???
 :)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.