Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inflation now stands at 11.1% using....  (Read 1301 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Inflation now stands at 11.1% using....
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2022, 14:38:36 »

I'm rambling here again, but that's what I do.
When folk pay as much, or more for a 12 month old car than a new one, do they realise just how much they are being ripped off?

If a new car is, say, £36,000, that's £30,000 for the car and £6000 in VAT. Even if a year old car was priced the same as new, it shouldn't be any more than the cost of the car, not including VAT.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2022, 14:40:42 »

Wifey has finally settled on which 'new car' she wants, an Audi A1. They're expensive little bastards so every penny will help. TIA.

If it's new there will probably be a lengthy waiting time. My order went in on 19th May.

If it's used it will probably be as expensive as a new one.

Life's a bitch then you die. ;)
It won't be new, I'm not giving the government any VAT. Two/ three years old, still only about eight grand off a new one.

Which model/engine are you looking at?. Please tell me it won't run on derv. ::)
I'm not looking at anything until February half term and, as it's for her, it will be automatic and a nice colour. I believe the petrol engines are as frugal as diesel ones now
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2022, 14:41:31 »

When folk pay as much, or more for a 12 month old car than a new one, do they realise just how much they are being ripped off?

If a new car is, say, £36,000, that's £30,000 for the car and £6000 in VAT. Even if a year old car was priced the same as new, it shouldn't be any more than the cost of the car, not including VAT.

You ramble on.

I was always told to 'make allowances' for old people. ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2022, 14:43:25 »

Wifey has finally settled on which 'new car' she wants, an Audi A1. They're expensive little bastards so every penny will help. TIA.

If it's new there will probably be a lengthy waiting time. My order went in on 19th May.

If it's used it will probably be as expensive as a new one.

Life's a bitch then you die. ;)
It won't be new, I'm not giving the government any VAT. Two/ three years old, still only about eight grand off a new one.

Which model/engine are you looking at?. Please tell me it won't run on derv. ::)
I'm not looking at anything until February half term and, as it's for her, it will be automatic and a nice colour. I believe the petrol engines are as frugal as diesel ones now

Especially when you factor in the 30p a litre difference.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2022, 14:44:22 »

You ramble on.

I was always told to 'make allowances' for old people. ::)
You should show respect, too. If it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German now. And people don't leave their front doors open like we used to. And we remember when a pint and a pie was less than two bob.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 November 2022, 14:45:59 »

Ronnyd has just joined us, he remembers when a pie and a pint was only a tanner  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 November 2022, 14:48:09 »

Ronnyd has just joined us, he remembers when a pie and a pint was only a tanner  ;D

He probably has a jar full of old threepenny bits. Two to a tanner my grandmother used to say. ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 November 2022, 14:49:16 »

He probably has a jar full of old threepenny bits. Two to a tanner my grandmother used to say. ;D
;D ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 November 2022, 14:52:56 »

Money was so much easier then. Two farthings in a halfpenny, two halfpennies in a penny, three pennies in a threepenny bit, two threepenny bits in a tanner, two tanners in a bob, two bob in a two bob bit, five tanners in half a crown, twenty shillings in a pound, twenty one shillings in a guinea. Simple.  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 November 2022, 14:54:57 »

Nine hundred and sixty farthings in a pound. Imagine asking for bag of chips and lobbing that lot on the counter  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2022, 14:58:57 »

There was one anomaly I spotted. The so called price cap is to be raised to £3000 for the 'average user'. There is, of course, no such thing. Anyhow, this is a rise of £500 from the £2500 cap this year, according to the pundits. But there was no mention of the £400 help over six months, October to March, being kept, so that would mean a rise of £900.

My understanding is there will be no further universal payments of £67 a month after March/April. Not quite sure if there will be a payment for those who simply don't have the money to pay.......of which there will be many.
It's going to be tough for many. Problem is.....targeting the help to those who need it would cost a fortune, and it would end up the same as when child benefit was tapered off after £50,000 in earnings. People were expected to come clean about what they earned, and administering this would cost more than was saved.
Then you might say 'Ok, but all pensioners should be included', which would make a mockery of it for someone in my position. It's not easy.

I don't say this.

Many pensioners are well off.  Mortgage finished.....several pensions.....£300 winter allowance... £10 from Santa....free eye tests.....free prescriptions.....free bus pass....free TV licence. The list goes on.

It's the young adults who are f*ucked. Can't afford a house so still living with Mum and Dad aged 50. :-\

The pensions timebomb. Too many old people being serviced by too few people of working age.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 November 2022, 15:05:55 »

We are going to have to put up with every news programme coming live from a food bank, and pictures of people with blue hands and wrapped in six coats sitting in front of a one bar electric fire for a while yet. It's manna from heaven for the left wingers.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 November 2022, 15:07:54 »

There was one anomaly I spotted. The so called price cap is to be raised to £3000 for the 'average user'. There is, of course, no such thing. Anyhow, this is a rise of £500 from the £2500 cap this year, according to the pundits. But there was no mention of the £400 help over six months, October to March, being kept, so that would mean a rise of £900.

My understanding is there will be no further universal payments of £67 a month after March/April. Not quite sure if there will be a payment for those who simply don't have the money to pay.......of which there will be many.
It's going to be tough for many. Problem is.....targeting the help to those who need it would cost a fortune, and it would end up the same as when child benefit was tapered off after £50,000 in earnings. People were expected to come clean about what they earned, and administering this would cost more than was saved.
Then you might say 'Ok, but all pensioners should be included', which would make a mockery of it for someone in my position. It's not easy.

I don't say this.

Many pensioners are well off.  Mortgage finished.....several pensions.....£300 winter allowance... £10 from Santa....free eye tests.....free prescriptions.....free bus pass....free TV licence. The list goes on.

It's the young adults who are f*ucked. Can't afford a house so still living with Mum and Dad aged 50. :-\

The pensions timebomb. Too many old people being serviced by too few people of working age.
And there's no way, that I can see, that things are going to change.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 November 2022, 15:09:29 »

People in their fifties still paying their student loan off. WTF is that all about?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 November 2022, 15:52:48 »

The government are shit scared of the 'greyhairs' as they actually vote. The young can't be arsed as shown with Brexit. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.