Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat Battery  (Read 2527 times)

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
Flat Battery
« on: 08 January 2007, 14:58:21 »

Hi,

Think the Battery is dead on the Omega.

Problem is, it is locked, and deadlocked, and I cant open the doors with either the Plip, or from the drivers door lock.

How Do I get in?  :-/
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Battery
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2007, 15:58:14 »

Have you checked the battery in the remote ?  The car battery would have to be almost totally empty for it to not have enough power to activate the centralised locking system.

Can't see how it won't open with the key.  Mine does, even with the battery removed, but it's only the door that I'm unlocking that opens.

Try the passenger side lock, maybe the key/lock has been changed at some point and are no longer compatible.

Another option is to try the boot. Maybe the seats will fold forward and you can crawl in and reach the bonnet release that way. You may be able to fiddle the centre/arm rest panel as this is not held fast by a mechanical system. If you get access via the centre panel you should be able to reach the seat release buttons and fold 'em all down.

GOOD LUCK

No point trying to lift the manual doors buttons if she's deadlocked.
Thinking about it, I'm sure the owners manual advises not to use the deadlocks unless you feel it absolutely neccessary(or something like that) due to the hassle involved with your situation.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2007, 17:36:00 »

Don't think it'll have a passenger side lock?
The key will turn the lock, try some freeing oil in it first.
I've had this on mine & really had to turn the key hard, almost to the point that I thought it might snap, but it opened eventually.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2007, 18:10:17 »

It will unlock with key.  As its deadlocked, it will be incredibly stiff, but it should still unlock.
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2007, 18:22:27 »

It will unlock with key.  As its deadlocked, it will be incredibly stiff, but it should still unlock.

I know what you mean, couldn't open mine when that happened, niether could the RAC man, ended up crawling underneath it to to put a connection on the alternator and an earth.

Managed to pop the remote then.
I like red cars

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2007, 18:28:51 »

from memory, not only is the key stiff in the driver's door, but I think you have to turn the key to the right - as if to lock it - this is really stiff, turn back to horizontal then towards the left and it unlocks ... I seem to remember turning it to the left initially did nothing ...

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2007, 20:08:25 »

Not got saloon but is it possible to open the boot and get a trickle charger connected to the boot light. Should give you the juice to open the doors normally.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2007, 22:33:41 »

Well I had this exact same problem and came to the rather more straightforward conclusion...

Remove (or in my case break passenger side of) front grille (easy to replace) and simply reach in and pull the bonnet catch! :)

Lift bonnet!
The Administrator.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2007, 22:49:24 »

Well I had this exact same problem and came to the rather more straightforward conclusion...

Remove (or in my case break passenger side of) front grille (easy to replace) and simply reach in and pull the bonnet catch! :)

Lift bonnet!

Hooligan :D
I like red cars

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2007, 22:49:47 »

Lift bonnet!

That's neanderthal  - why not just throw a brick through the window.  Tools required - 1 brick.  :-X
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2007, 01:56:47 »

Lift bonnet!

Nice trick... but (a) was it your car? (b) do you actually know the owner? (c) you nicked his oil filler cap, didn't you, because it was new and shiny yellow?  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2007, 08:01:28 »

Lift bonnet!

LB, I'm amazed at such a low tech (but effective, admittedly) solution.  ;D
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2007, 08:10:43 »

Low tech it may be, but hey, it worked!  ;D

And yes AA, it is my car... ;)
The Administrator.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2007, 09:38:40 »

Lift bonnet!

How very disappointing  :-?      

bigall

• merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2007, 09:52:44 »

Can you open the boot with your key?
 If so then press open the centre (ski slot) between the rear seats - sometimes the catch will detach or break ( cheap replacement)
Then hand around top to find the rear seat release then crawl inside and pull up lock thingy on top of door and open the door

I did this many times on my old 95 omega until the cause of the flat battery was found (12S socket leaking quite well)
I drive a moneypit Omega - at least its comfortable!!!!!  200k approaching rapidly!!!!!!!!! "") (must change oil soon)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2007, 12:40:53 »

Low tech it may be, but hey, it worked!  ;D

And yes AA, it is my car... ;)

Hooligan! :o
I like red cars

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2007, 15:06:33 »

Oh good grief....  ;D

Disappointing?.... hooligan... ?

I tried the locks (including the  boot). It wasn't working and the prospect of a broken key in a lock REALLY did not appeal!

Bottom line is this. I had a flat battery. I needed to lift the bonnet to get some juice into the system.

I succeeded.... quickly and with minimal damage. ;)

A replacement grille costs me nothing (spare knocking about somewhere) and now I am able to access the car. :)

Sometimes simple is the best route.

The Administrator.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2007, 16:50:44 »

Oh good grief....  ;D

Disappointing?.... hooligan... ?

I tried the locks (including the  boot). It wasn't working and the prospect of a broken key in a lock REALLY did not appeal!

Bottom line is this. I had a flat battery. I needed to lift the bonnet to get some juice into the system.

I succeeded.... quickly and with minimal damage. ;)

A replacement grille costs me nothing (spare knocking about somewhere) and now I am able to access the car. :)

Sometimes simple is the best route.

Only joking LB, honest ::)
I like red cars

mistergee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2007, 10:58:19 »

I'm with LB.  Wife was locked out of her '98 elite 200 miles from home (after leaving HID lights on - warning buzzer broken).  A helpful passer-by ran her to the local vx dealer in Speke - the technicians had all gone home (4.45pm).  Our local dealer suggested the boot light trick.  The helpful passer-by  fritzed the electrics.   So he climbed into the boot, kicked in the ski hatch and made it to the front seat.  Lifting the door button didn't work.  He did pop the bonnet though and gave it a jump start.  Many thanks to him for that.  Wife drove home like a bat out of hell in a howling gale with all the windows down (in case the car locked her in) and speedo not working.  Fortunately headlights worked.  She never trusted the car again which gave me no end of grief.

Sometimes simple is very definitely best.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.