Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More Red Hot Battery Terminals - Project Elite  (Read 2912 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: More Red Hot Battery Terminals - Project Elite
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2007, 13:02:57 »

If 6 inches of cable is bad then it's time to start thinking about replacing the whole cable.  I wouldn't want to get into splicing, especially the positive.

You can just split the insulator to find where the cable looks healthy.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2007, 16:05:26 »

To me, Tunnie's looked like an inch or 2 would be enough...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2007, 16:38:09 »

To me, Tunnie's looked like an inch or 2 would be enough...

Yep.... hoping the local guy can fix, be interested to see what James does....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2007, 17:18:46 »

Using a DVM with a sharp probe, measure the volt frop from the battery terminal to 6 inches down the cable......

I suspect its a bad crimp.......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2007, 17:41:26 »

Using a DVM with a sharp probe, measure the volt frop from the battery terminal to 6 inches down the cable......

In Tunnie's case, the drop was between the (lead?) battery clamp and the cable, ie the actual crimped bit.

I would recommend Tunnie changes the clamp, get one that doesn't need crimping. Most motor factors should have.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 April 2007, 17:50:02 »

In Tunnie's case, the drop was between the (lead?) battery clamp and the cable, ie the actual crimped bit.

I would recommend Tunnie changes the clamp, get one that doesn't need crimping. Most motor factors should have.

Any chance you can pick one up next time your in one? I won't be going near one for a while ...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2007, 17:52:43 »

Any chance you can pick one up next time your in one? I won't be going near one for a while ...
I will give you a bell next time I go near one...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2007, 17:54:47 »

I will give you a bell next time I go near one...

Cheers  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2007, 23:28:43 »

If you put a new clamp onto the existing end of cable, give the exposed copper a rub with some emery cloth to get rid of as much of the oxidisation as you can.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2007, 15:17:39 »

James, I think I may have a present from LB66 for you - I nice bit of cable to replace yours, should you require it.

Also, Tunnie, I have a leccy window mechanism for you, again, a present from our leader....
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2007, 16:50:10 »

Have you sorted this now? I've got the same problem with the positive lead but my alternator is fried as well. I went out to the car yesterday to check on a bolt size and the battery was dead. I got my charger back this morning but it kept tripping so I disconnected the battery and charged it. Connected back up and started the car. Only getting 12.8 volts at the battery and it was falling, I also noticed some smoke and suspected my cam cover gaskets so turned the engine off and saw the smoke was coming from the alternator. Then I noticed the battery light glowing on the dash so I've disconnected the battery.

I want to sort out the cable as well while I'm at this so I'm interested in what you did. I need to chop off the discoloured cable and change the battery clamp but there are those two extra bolts holding cables on as well and the only clamps I can find have fastening points for only one heavy duty cable.

Also does anyone know the area of the cable?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2007, 18:09:18 »

James, I think I may have a present from LB66 for you - I nice bit of cable to replace yours, should you require it.

Also, Tunnie, I have a leccy window mechanism for you, again, a present from our leader....

Ooo , thats very kind, thanks very much Dave :) - Although, I DO have a spare good one on the CDX V6, so please feel free to use it for someone else, EG Tunnie, if he needs it :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2007, 18:10:47 »

Have you sorted this now? I've got the same problem with the positive lead but my alternator is fried as well. I went out to the car yesterday to check on a bolt size and the battery was dead. I got my charger back this morning but it kept tripping so I disconnected the battery and charged it. Connected back up and started the car. Only getting 12.8 volts at the battery and it was falling, I also noticed some smoke and suspected my cam cover gaskets so turned the engine off and saw the smoke was coming from the alternator. Then I noticed the battery light glowing on the dash so I've disconnected the battery.

I want to sort out the cable as well while I'm at this so I'm interested in what you did. I need to chop off the discoloured cable and change the battery clamp but there are those two extra bolts holding cables on as well and the only clamps I can find have fastening points for only one heavy duty cable.

Also does anyone know the area of the cable?

On the V6... it runs from battery (obviously) through cable tray at the front, and down to the alternator and starter

Alternator would need to come off, and it's do-able

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2007, 21:23:40 »

Well the alternator does have to come off, I need to replace it since it was smoking badly. I've just been to fetch the replacement one.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2007, 22:19:55 »

Thanks  :y

I think my leccy problems might have to wait  :'( - Just got no time, going to have to disconnect the battery and garage it. Taking the Senator back to Uni this weekend. Can't be arsin around with the car for the next 3 weeks!

After that its Scotland so might be a while before i get the window & battery problem fixed  :'(
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.