Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 110   Go Down

Author Topic: What has P*ssed you off today?  (Read 144639 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: What has P*ssed you off today?
« Reply #825 on: 26 July 2023, 21:39:49 »

Wanted some polystyrene loft insulation sheets from Wickes. None in Yeovil, only 3 in Street, and I needed 7. Interweb says 11 in Taunton and 22 in Midsummer Norton. So after work head off to Taunton - what a sh1thole, traffic everywhere. Anyway, eventually find the place and as I'm walking in the door, out walks a bloke with a trolley full of what looks like polystyrene loft insulation. Sure enough none on the shelves.

So another hour cross country to Midsummer in foul weather on roads I'm not familiar with following every idiot in their camper van. Manage to get my 7 sheets, but what a faff. Can't be ar5ed to do any more tonight.   

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 26 July 2023, 21:41:11 »

Wanted some polystyrene loft insulation sheets from Wickes. None in Yeovil, only 3 in Street, and I needed 7. Interweb says 11 in Taunton and 22 in Midsummer Norton. So after work head off to Taunton - what a sh1thole, traffic everywhere. Anyway, eventually find the place and as I'm walking in the door, out walks a bloke with a trolley full of what looks like polystyrene loft insulation. Sure enough none on the shelves.

So another hour cross country to Midsummer in foul weather on roads I'm not familiar with following every idiot in their camper van. Manage to get my 7 sheets, but what a faff. Can't be ar5ed to do any more tonight.
Delivery?
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: 26 July 2023, 21:49:26 »

Delivery?
Sheets are quite fragile, and sometimes have the edges damaged/broken off. I prefer to choose the ones I want.

Also you have to be 'in' to take the delivery - which I'll struggle with for the next few weeks.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 26 July 2023, 21:52:29 »

Why? Possibly the worst product to use in a house :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: 26 July 2023, 22:18:19 »

There's a man who has never used fibreglass loft insulation...

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: 26 July 2023, 22:21:01 »

100mm/4inch Rockwool between the joists. Then 50mm thick polystyrene sheets on top of the joists, and then tongue and groove chipboard floorboards on top of it all. Current installation is just 40+ year old 1 inch fibreglass insulation underneath the chipboard floorboards.

AIUI current govt recomendation is 270mm (basically 10 inches) of rockwool, but if you put that down you still need summut to put the floorboards on, and you'll loose a foot of headroom.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: 26 July 2023, 22:31:55 »

Received all the furniture for the nursery today (which was astonishingly expensive for what it is) and I unpacked it only to find the useless herberts have obviously disassembled and repackaged someone else's return - with new boxes of fixings to make it appear new  >:(. Most of the panels are damaged in some way and some genius even managed to leave some of the fixings attached to the panels. oppsing morons

One way or another its going to get sorted, but is just going to be more hours of my life spent on the phone to people who won't have a clue what to do because "we shipped some second hand tat and tried to pass it off as new" won't be in the drop down box on their poxy call centre script.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: 26 July 2023, 23:15:50 »

100mm/4inch Rockwool between the joists. Then 50mm thick polystyrene sheets on top of the joists, and then tongue and groove chipboard floorboards on top of it all. Current installation is just 40+ year old 1 inch fibreglass insulation underneath the chipboard floorboards.

AIUI current govt recomendation is 270mm (basically 10 inches) of rockwool, but if you put that down you still need summut to put the floorboards on, and you'll loose a foot of headroom.
                What’s wrong with kingspan Mal? Although it’s expensive
Laying a rubber road.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: 27 July 2023, 09:47:48 »

Nothing wrong with it. Just expensive, and in it's cheapest form only available in 8'x4' sheets which won't fit in the car, and even if they did, won't fit through the loft hatch so will need cutting up even before fitting. I *may* decide to use Kingspan for the central section of the loft - the bit you walk on most. It's more dense than the polystyrene stuff which I'm scared that may break up if enough people walk over it - even if it is covered in chipboard. At the moment I'm only doing the outside sections of the loft - under the eves - which are basically used to store junk - Christmas decorations, old suitcases, tat I can't face throwing away etc - and don't get a lot of load/use.

Can't do the central section till I've decided what to do about the water tank - which is probably one cubic meter of water (so literally weighs a ton!), and too large to get out of the loft hatch without breaking it up - which is probably not a good idea since it's made of asbestos  ::).

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: 27 July 2023, 10:20:23 »

And in a confined space, not a good idea😱👍
Laying a rubber road.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: 27 July 2023, 10:40:36 »

Ok if you fancy another Grenfell Towers..  ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: 27 July 2023, 11:12:08 »

Nothing wrong with it. Just expensive, and in it's cheapest form only available in 8'x4' sheets which won't fit in the car, and even if they did, won't fit through the loft hatch so will need cutting up even before fitting. I *may* decide to use Kingspan for the central section of the loft - the bit you walk on most. It's more dense than the polystyrene stuff which I'm scared that may break up if enough people walk over it - even if it is covered in chipboard. At the moment I'm only doing the outside sections of the loft - under the eves - which are basically used to store junk - Christmas decorations, old suitcases, tat I can't face throwing away etc - and don't get a lot of load/use.

Can't do the central section till I've decided what to do about the water tank - which is probably one cubic meter of water (so literally weighs a ton!), and too large to get out of the loft hatch without breaking it up - which is probably not a good idea since it's made of asbestos  ::).
;D ;D I know someone else like that.
The central section in ours is a bedroom. The only access to the bit under the eaves is a small hatch in the corner of the small bathroom up there. I place boxes of all the stuff you mentioned through the hatch and then push it further along with more boxes of crap. Getting it out again will be fun.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: 27 July 2023, 11:19:28 »

;D ;D I know someone else like that.
The central section in ours is a bedroom. The only access to the bit under the eaves is a small hatch in the corner of the small bathroom up there. I place boxes of all the stuff you mentioned through the hatch and then push it further along with more boxes of crap. Getting it out again will be fun.

I've been cleaning up my lockup and moving boxes of 'stuff' (that might come in handy one day) around as I go.  ::)

I reflected the other day that if I got a skip and paid someone else to chuck it all in or the place burnt to the ground, I wouldn't miss any of it (until I did of course), but I just can't bring myself to do it myself....  :-\  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: 27 July 2023, 12:32:01 »

I keep meaning to have a good clear out, (house and garage), because the kids won't fancy doing it when i shuffle off. Problem is, most of it i've kept for a reason.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: 27 July 2023, 13:37:33 »

I keep meaning to have a good clear out, (house and garage), because the kids won't fancy doing it when i shuffle off. Problem is, most of it i've kept for a reason.  :)

Can you remember what the reason was? Is the thing you kept the stuff for actually repairable? Where is the rest of it? Etc, etc.

Mum and Dad moved into this house 57 years ago, and have used the loft as a dumping ground ever since. There's so much junk up there that the most efficient way for me to deal with would be to plaster over the loft hatch and deny all knowledge of it. When the new owners eventually recognise me in some of the photos up there, it will be too late for them to do anything about it 8)

I say that having spent a day in January making space just in the back room for the armchairs out of the front room to get the hospital equipment in there. They've now got to go back, which is an exercise in 3d spatial awareness for 2 people.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 110   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.