Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Advice needed on Hyundai Accent

(1/2) > >>

stuart30:
[size=12]Car is an Hyundai Accent 1997/8 On a P plate...Automactic 1.5 GSI.

My wifes car several weeks back started belching out thick white smoke...Long story short AA man said it was either head gasket/oil cooler or something else  ::)

Car was towed home and ive had a mobile mechanic come and take a look...he believes its head gasket as theres water droplets exiting exhaust when warm,he did say have this double checked at a garage with the equipment to do a chemical test...this was done and they have said its not head gasket.?????

So first question is what else could cause a huge amount of white smoke (deffo white and not blue/grey ect) yet still leave the header tank water only slightly lower than normal.

Second question if the general opion is head gasket failure anyone know the expected time to replace head gasket (not water pump cambelt JUST head gasket and nessacry seals)....been quoted 6 hours at £25 an hour thats cash in hand plus i buy the head gasket set been quoted £60 for this.

Thirdly Anyone handy with the spanners who fancies doing it (you name your price) feel free to pm me....its gotta be done so i have to pay someone...Tea/bacon sarnies and cash waiting.[/size][/b]

mr des:
probably not what you want to hear but if the head comes off it will need skimming or at the very least checked to see if it is still within tolerances (good eyes feeler gauges and a very straight edge) and if not skimmed. are there any bubbles in the header tank with the engine running?

stuart30:

--- Quote ---probably not what you want to hear but if the head comes off it will need skimming or at the very least checked to see if it is still within tolerances (good eyes feeler gauges and a very straight edge) and if not skimmed. are there any bubbles in the header tank with the engine running?
--- End quote ---

No visible signs of any bubbles...no mayo in oil filler cap,however oil looks like its very high.?

Any idea on price to have it skimmed...and if its skimmed would you still use standard headgasket or need a slighty thicker gasket.?

Thing is she wants to get it running properly and sell it as she wants a Astra auto... ::)

Taxi_Driver:
My question is....how much is 8 yo Hyundia worth??
Is it worth fixing it?
You might be better off taking it to one of those places that advertise min part exchange just to get rid off it.
Sorry prob not what you wanted to hear.....but i carnt see it worth more that a few hundred quid.

tunnie:
have you checked the Oil level with the dipstick? The symptons sound like an oil overfill, or maybe an oil leak onto the exhaust.

Whats the condition of the coolant like?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version