Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Rust treatment

(1/2) > >>

robson:
Which rust treatment do we think works best.Yes I know cut it out is preferred but for a temporary job which product does the best job.

Doctor Gollum:
May as well use Vaseline.

omegod:
For a slightly less acidic response  ::), Bilt hamber Deox Gel is great but can be pricey

cam.in.head:
deox gell is excellent but then so is oxalic acid which is basically the same thing and a lot cheaper. i also use a small sandblaster gus for localised areas but like you said cut of is the perfect solution as most of the rust is usually on the other side of what you actually see

johnnydog:
Bilt Hamber products are very good, and I use them on my classic cars. The better quality rust treatments can slow corrosion down, but utimately new metal is the only way, and that depends on whether the rusted area is cut back sufficiently. The only down side with any rust preventative wax based product, irrespective how good they are, if you intend welding near to the treated area any time in the future, it presents a greater fire hazard than normal.
For penetrating welded seams, Supertrol is excellent, whereas many treatments simply bridge them without giving that deep penetrating protection where it is needed.
There are different treatments depending whether the area to be treated 'requires converting from a rusty' surface (which isn't particularly effective generally), whether it is in a box section (protected from the extreme elements), or in a high impact area, such as chassis rails, under sills or wheelarches. etc.,
Everyone has their favourites, but these are the two I have tried. Dinitrol products have good reviews, but I have only ever used the spray on rust convertor, simply where it is needed in difficult to access areas before applying protection spray coatings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version