Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Headlight dropping to bits

(1/5) > >>

TheSoulDoctor_123:
And onto the next thing...

So basically, I'm going over the omega putting lots of annoying niggly things right:
So far...

Speaker suspension foam repaired with 'tacky glue' and ready to go back in.

Tie rods ordered, as the adjusters are seized on the originals and the tracking is out enough that the steering wheel is quarter to the left.

Boot struts ordered, since the car tried to bite me clean in half last time I had to get something from right at the back of the boot.

Rear lights all fitted with new bulbs, as the lid slammed shut with enough force to shatter all the bulbs, which obviously wouldn't have happened if I'd been reaching into the boot to get something from right at the back...

Headlights now clean, clear and minty fresh.  "While I'm on," I thought, "I'll fit those nightbreakers I bought for the other car and never fitted."  Obviously, they were the wrong size for the Omega lights.

However, when I put the old bulb back in, I noticed the entire reflector is loose and rattling around inside the light unit freely.  Is this a common thing? Does anyone know how to fix it please? Presumably the light comes apart somehow once I've got it out of the car?

On a positive note, I may just have tracked down the annoting rattling noise from that corner of the car when I go over rough roads...

Nick W:
Your headlight is a very common problem, and it means the plastic adjuster is broken. The fix used to be about £15 worth of machined aluminium adjusters. They are no longer available, although you might be able to find some cast resin ones with an attached ball that are nearly as good.

A used headlight is another way, but it's only worth buying one that already has the metal adjuster.

left to right: an intact adjuster(although it is cracked), the wreckage that you normally find, the NLA aluminium part, and the may still be available resin piece.

TheSoulDoctor_123:
Thanks loads for the info Nick, and that photo is really helpful too. At least I know what I'm trying to look for.  Is the resin one a Vauxhall part, or do I source it elsewhere?
Thank you,

John.

Nick W:
Does it look like an OE part? ;D

Having fitted several, it's clearly made in a mould that was made from a standard part with the metal ball inserted before the resin is poured. Try Ebay.

With that said, I would now at least consider machining my own from aluminium although would probably attach the ball. This would be done on a small, benchtop mill, so would look crude in comparison with the one-piece, CNC machined parts in the photo. Why didn't I machine some when I needed them for my own car? Because it wasn't worth the time and effort when I could buy a pair for £20 that were a straight bolt-on. This is not justifiable as a job, so please don't ask :y

cam.in.head:
if you have a welder or know someone who has they can be made from a piece of flatplate that will slide in the slot and with a nut welded on one side and a rounded ball welded on the other. this can then be fitted without having to dismantle the headlight .i did both mine this way and is a lot easier than removing the lens.yes its fiddly but totally possible.
if you find a proper ( or copy) adjuster dont think theres enough room to do it without lense removal ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version