Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caught out by the wind  (Read 1239 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Caught out by the wind
« on: 09 January 2022, 16:42:00 »

A nice day today, so decided to go out with one of the quadcopter drones this afternoon, having a (correctly distanced) nose around Wappenham and Silverstone, and started getting wind warnings. So swung it round with still 74% battery remaining, to be on the safe side...

...and over a kilometre out, it was down to 5% so started force landing.   Opps, completely misjudged the wind today.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Caught out by the wind
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2022, 16:45:33 »

A nice day today, so decided to go out with one of the quadcopter drones this afternoon, having a (correctly distanced) nose around Wappenham and Silverstone, and started getting wind warnings. So swung it round with still 74% battery remaining, to be on the safe side...

...and over a kilometre out, it was down to 5% so started force landing.  Opps, completely misjudged the wind today.

Which type of wind? You have previous form for problem wind......usually after a night out. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2022, 16:56:04 »

Following a Cjinky takeaway last night, I would had to own up to a spot of flatulence today.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2022, 17:28:12 »

...and over a kilometre out, it was down to 5% so started force landing.   Opps, completely misjudged the wind today.

First rule of gliding. If you're going to mess around, do it upwind of the airfield. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2022, 18:35:33 »

First rule of gliding. If you're going to mess around, do it upwind of the airfield. ;D
Yeah, but I'm sensible enough to have an engine. Or 4 ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2022, 19:03:58 »

.. but not a 40:1 glide angle @ 50 odd knots. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2022, 19:26:06 »

Variable pitch control would be a start...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2022, 20:22:32 »

I get caught out by wind now and again.  :(                                                                                                                               Well someone had to say it!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2022, 21:48:30 »

I smiled once and the wind caught me🙂
Laying a rubber road.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2022, 07:53:47 »

If you have any videos of Wappenham would be interested, dad grew up there and his parents owned the shop

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2022, 10:51:14 »

Pondering the glide angle of a multirotor aircraft.  What d'ya reckon, 0:1 glide angle? ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2022, 10:56:25 »

If you have any videos of Wappenham would be interested, dad grew up there and his parents owned the shop
Ah, yes, now you've said that, I recall you saying previously your Dad was from a shop in one of the nearby villages :y

Whole video uploaded to youtube last night, but they are still processing it. I'll send you the link when its done - its usually around 18hrs for a 4k60fps 20 minute clip.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2022, 13:21:00 »

Pondering the glide angle of a multirotor aircraft.  What d'ya reckon, 0:1 glide angle? ;D
Without blade pitch control? Pretty much guaranteed...

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/alc/course_content_popup.aspx?cID=104&sID=452#:~:text=Autorotation%20is%20the%20state%20of,event%20of%20an%20engine%20failure.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2022, 13:55:42 »

Without blade pitch control? Pretty much guaranteed...

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/alc/course_content_popup.aspx?cID=104&sID=452#:~:text=Autorotation%20is%20the%20state%20of,event%20of%20an%20engine%20failure.
A multirotor has some advantages over a single rotor, around weight distribution and redundancy.  But yes, I can assure you that a total power failure does result in it dropping out of the sky like a stone.  I can also explain what happens when a well known open source flight controller crashes due to misconfigured compass...   ...which is highly entertaining, if somewhat stressful at the time.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2022, 14:01:03 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2022, 09:02:50 »

From about 6m20 to about 7m40

https://youtu.be/Q4PHWrLF8rs

Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.