Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interviews for jobs in lockdown  (Read 12018 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Interviews for jobs in lockdown
« Reply #75 on: 05 August 2021, 23:09:49 »

One can only assume he got his pleasant disposition from his Mother.  ;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 06 August 2021, 07:16:36 »

One can only assume he got his pleasant disposition from his Mother.  ;D ;D
And his brains from me   ;D
Diesel till I die

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27 August 2021, 03:34:05 »

So, they decided (rightly) that the role wasn't right for me, but then contacted me 2 weeks ago, and asked me if I'd be interested in a different role. Come in and have a look at the around and discuss it, and if you like it, we can arrange interviews the following week. Didn't quite work out like that. Had a chat with the MD, my old boss, and 2 of his managers. Then a trip round the factory floor, and then he left me, with the 2 managers to have a chat.
Or interview ? Phones me on Saturday afternoon.
Job offer. Am I allowed to discuss money?
It's enough. More than I was expecting. Transferring from contracting via a LTD company to a permie PayE role, has some interesting tax implications. That it I'll pay more.
Now looking to side line the omega, into classic status and get something sensible for the stupid commute.

Today will be my 4th Day. I've done induction type things, and am starting to see the future unfold.
They are increasing headcount on factory floor by 20% over the next 4 months, and I'm involved in duplicating existing assembly lines.
They have good Covid procedures in place.
So far the commute in.the omega has been at 23 mpg. And I've placed a deposit on a 65 plate GTC astra 1.4 turbo auto with 36k on the clock.
Not sure what to do with omega. It needs some work and I haven't got the time. Hence I've put it up for sale.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 August 2021, 04:39:59 »

All I'll say on that is that the payments would otherwise buy alot of fuel, probably three tankfuls, before the extra 12-15 mpg makes a difference.  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27 August 2021, 07:51:02 »

Contracting is glorified agency work... As long as you say yes, you will always find something to do.

Being Paye you know exactly where you are at (is what I meant by stability)  ;)

I see what you mean.  For me it's about stability in knowledge.

This is pretty much how I pitched the "Why do you want to move from a profitable career as a Freelancer, to a less profitable less tax efficient permie career..."

Over 12 years I've been allowed to do things that if they'd been looking for a permanent employee. They could take the risk, because 1 weeks notice, I'm available, and my CV is varied.
Things that I had to go and read up on and train myself in the evening, and transfer knowledge and hope it worked.
That's really stressful. This is where my imposter syndrome doesn't help, because whilst I sell myself as a Lean Six Sigma Expert, that expertise is really in high volume, high precision manufacturing, and I'm good at it because I know where and when I can take short cuts.
Suddenly in 2009 I'm apply lean principles to the refurbishment of Warrior Tanks, or to the Engineering Review System within an Aerospace company, or writting reports on the warranty claims of wind turbine high voltage electronics, or training 200 design engineers in Requirements Risk Analysis.
This job is in an industry I spent 15 years in, and on a walk around the factory it was possible to see "TIM WOOD" pissing himself laughing.

I'm going to teach them Chalk Circle Lean Assessment, as my first challenge. ;D

https://www.allaboutlean.com/chalk-circle/

http://theleanthinker.com/2007/07/09/the-chalk-circle/

Very interesting, I can think of a few newbie ‘managers’ who could have benefitted from such thinking before they jumped in with new ideas. Particularly back in my RAF years.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27 August 2021, 10:13:20 »

All I'll say on that is that the payments would otherwise buy alot of fuel, probably three tankfuls, before the extra 12-15 mpg makes a difference.  :-\

If it is a15 mpg difference, then my payback on the price I'm paying with the miles I'm likely to do is 3 years.
Given that my omega has already done 238k needs quite a bit of work for the next MOT, I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't last another 3 years, which would add another 75k to the clock.
In my man maths I'm assuming that the car I've bought now has no value. But in 3 years it will still have 3 years use left in it.
However it all depends on the traffic.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27 August 2021, 12:20:39 »

A 12 year old petrol Insignia or late Vectra would have done the same job for significantly less.

Severe corrosion is about the only reason to dump an Omega, especially a higher mileage one. Sure, things wear out, but the expensive stuff, namely the suspension is a one time £800 expense to do it properly and should give you a four year return. Everything on a newer replacement is an unknown and it will still require servicing and tyres.

You've made your choice, and I hope it works for you :y If you want a new(er) car* that's fine, but never use man maths to justify anything as that's pretty much a guarantee that it's the wrong choice ;)

*Caravan/boat/gadget etc...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.