Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emission Light - What's Going On?  (Read 915 times)

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Emission Light - What's Going On?
« on: 04 April 2007, 22:56:46 »

At TheBoys Cambelt party, I fuelled up at Tesco in Brackley.  Several minutes later, emissions light came on.  Jamie plugged in the Tech2 and managed to reset the light.

Fast forward a few days, supermarket fuel contamination hit the headlines.  But as my light was out, fingers crossed, a NMP (Not My Problem) - or so I hoped.

Steered away from supermarket fuel (Tesco website listed affected petrol stations - but Brackley was not amongst them).

200 miles later, emissions light back on......

When fuel light on, refuelled with BP expensive enhanced fuel (98p per litre stuff).

Drove another 250 miles, topped up with BP standard Unleaded, and light now off again....

What would you guys do in my position?  

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Re: Emission Light - What's Going On?
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2007, 23:32:02 »

I'd make sure the breathers were clean, check the plugs, flush the injectors with Redex or similar and hope it stays off.  My Emissions light was permanently on for over 6m, before I finally changed the MAF and cured my problem, but it could be small air leak, loose hose, lambda sensor failure, etc .  You only need to worry if the light flashes on/off as this signifies that it could be damaging your cat.  Try the cheap fixes first and post updates often for steers on what to look at next.  :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2007, 00:27:52 »

I had the same issue a few days after the cam belt do with some fuel I bought from Morrison's. Had the light reset after a tank or so of decent fuel, have stayed clear of supermarkets since and no problems, touch wood.

Faults logged were concerning all 4 Lambda sensors.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was dodgy fuel, but it could be indicative of another problem that's causing the Lambda correction to be right on the limit.

Could be an issue with the MAF, a slight air leak in induction or exhaust system or blocked injector(s). Follow Chopsdad's advice and see how it goes at this stage, I'd say.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2007, 07:49:58 »

My parents had the same problem on their Veccy B.  They were certain it was the dodgy petrol that caused the lambda sensor fault.  They topped up with decent petrol, reset the light and the problem has gone away.  

I'd probably give it another couple of weeks of decent petrol and see how it goes
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.