Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Query re new VX brake pads  (Read 1318 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Query re new VX brake pads
« on: 07 April 2007, 02:23:48 »

The new Vx front pads came as two pairs: one pair had an arrow on the backplate - each in a different direction, the other pair had no arrows and were identical.

The instructions that came in the box said:

'With asymmetrical backing plate brake pads, the arrow must point in the direction of the rotation of the disc when driving forward.'

So it would seem that on each wheel there is one 'directional' type pad and one 'normal' pad.

The question is, which side does the directional pad fit on - the piston (inner) side, or the wheel (outer) side?

You would think all I need do is look at how the old pads were fitted (they were installed by Vx dealer) - well I did, and the 'directional' pads were indeed on the piston side, but I am not sure I can rely on that considering the facts that the arrows were pointing backwards, i.e. against the direction of rotation...

It anyone can shed some light on this one it will be much appreciated!

« Last Edit: 07 April 2007, 02:24:55 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

Re: Query re new VX brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2007, 07:25:54 »

I bunged the pads with the arrows on, on the inside (piston side) as this was how they'd been previously fitted by vx dealer.
Arrows tho from what i remember were correct with rotation.

Another way to tell correct position.....is look at the champer cut on the pads.....they have a bigger champer at the front edge of the pads  :y

HTH

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2007, 10:43:33 »

Check the shape of the backing plates, you will see they only fit in one way (piston and caliper contact). You may find both arrows belong to same side calipers....
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2007, 11:06:37 »

Check the shape of the backing plates, you will see they only fit in one way (piston and caliper contact). You may find both arrows belong to same side calipers....

I fitted mine wrong. ie the direction arrow is correct but I have the pads on the 'wrong side' of the discs. The car still stops!  ;) It'll be time for new pads by the time I get around to correcting them.  ::)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2007, 19:06:50 »

Well I fitted the 'arrow' pads on the callipers, and it seems to be OK... The direction is correct this time, through it was definitely the wrong way round before.

Interestingly, on both occasions after Vx changed the pads, the car was squealing when braking - but only in reverse... now it does not do that any more. I wonder if the arrows have anything to do with it...

Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2007, 19:14:11 »

Well I fitted the 'arrow' pads on the callipers, and it seems to be OK... The direction is correct this time, through it was definitely the wrong way round before.

Interestingly, on both occasions after Vx changed the pads, the car was squealing when braking - but only in reverse... now it does not do that any more. I wonder if the arrows have anything to do with it...

You mean the car is intelligent enough to know which way the arrows are pointing and protests.... ::)
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2007, 20:12:21 »

You have changed the discs as well MJ....so very little bedding in needed (as both surfaces are flat)....i changed the disks as well and ive never known the brakes be so quiet.

I still believe the arrows on the pads should be on the inside (piston side)

So as i read it you have put the pads with arrows on the caliper (outside) side.....to get the rotation correct with the arrow?

If so, if you were to put the offside outer pad (caliper side) on the nearside inner side (piston side) wouldnt the arrows still be rotationaly correct?? and vice versa for the other pad with the arrows on it?

Also as TB says i remember the inner and outer pads where a slightly different shape....so im not sure if i understand properly what you have done....but if i have, im not sure how you got them to fit  :-/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2007, 22:33:14 »

You have changed the discs as well MJ....so very little bedding in needed (as both surfaces are flat)....i changed the disks as well and ive never known the brakes be so quiet.

So as i read it you have put the pads with arrows on the caliper (outside) side.....to get the rotation correct with the arrow?

If so, if you were to put the offside outer pad (caliper side) on the nearside inner side (piston side) wouldnt the arrows still be rotationaly correct?? and vice versa for the other pad with the arrows on it?

Also as TB says i remember the inner and outer pads where a slightly different shape....so im not sure if i understand properly what you have done....but if i have, im not sure how you got them to fit  :-/

My mistake... when I said 'calliper' I actually meant 'piston'....

So...

The 'arrow' pads are on the inside with their backs to the pistons.
The 'standard' pads are on the outside with their backs to the square cut in the calliper.

Hopefully this is the correct setup.

And sorry for the confusion...

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2007, 22:34:13 »

So...

The 'standard' pads are on the outside with their backs to the square cut in the calliper.

What, no picture? ;D
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2007, 22:49:54 »

So...

What, no picture? ;D

Not at the moment, I am too busy looking-up a picture of clit wishbone for AA....  ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2007, 10:12:49 »

So...

What, no picture? ;D

Not at the moment, I am too busy looking-up a picture of clit wishbone for AA....  ;D

Where is it then? :-?
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2007, 10:26:32 »

So...

What, no picture? ;D

Where is it then? :-?

Be patient AA.....MJ is probably having difficulty taking pics in a scrap yard  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.