Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starter For Ten  (Read 922 times)

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
Starter For Ten
« on: 07 April 2007, 20:54:48 »

Hi there guys , Quick question for the knowledgable and experienced among you. Got in the car the other morning and for the first time ever it wouldn't start (not bad for two years) . Just made a whooshing sound as though the starter motor was spinning but not connecting with the flywheel. Eventually after lots of cranking it started and has started normally ever since

So question 1 is this the most likely explanation or could there be something else? :o

question 2 is there any maintenance / lubrication I can do to prevent this happening again or getting worse? ;)

Thanks guys any suggestions? :y

Martin_1962

Re: Starter For Ten
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2007, 23:26:45 »

Hit starter motor with a hammer

Check that the starter is bolted in properly

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2007, 10:24:16 »

Hi there guys , Quick question for the knowledgable and experienced among you. Got in the car the other morning and for the first time ever it wouldn't start (not bad for two years) . Just made a whooshing sound as though the starter motor was spinning but not connecting with the flywheel. Eventually after lots of cranking it started and has started normally ever since

So question 1 is this the most likely explanation or could there be something else? :o

question 2 is there any maintenance / lubrication I can do to prevent this happening again or getting worse? ;)

When the car had previously been started (before its non start  :-? ) had the car been run for a very short time and then stopped? Could be 'bore wash' - the car had been stopped while it was still 'on choke' and the excess fuel in the charge just sits in the bores, washing oil away. The next time you come to start the car you've no compression - hence spinning over quickly. Senators are susceptable to it.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2007, 13:18:08 »

starter not throwing in?

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2007, 22:02:45 »

When the car had previously been started (before its non start  :-? ) had the car been run for a very short time and then stopped? Could be 'bore wash' - the car had been stopped while it was still 'on choke' and the excess fuel in the charge just sits in the bores, washing oil away. The next time you come to start the car you've no compression - hence spinning over quickly. Senators are susceptable to it.

Actually yes , I'd only moved the car a couple of feet so the wifes Mini would fit on the drive , you may have hit the nail smack between the eye's! Nice one Andy B:y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2007, 23:08:35 »

Actually yes , I'd only moved the car a couple of feet so the wifes Mini would fit on the drive , you may have hit the nail smack between the eye's! Nice one Andy B:y

:y  :y Done it with my Senator & my wife's Hyundai in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.