Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ticking noise.....  (Read 2789 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: Ticking noise.....
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2007, 23:03:39 »

sounds like a cracked manifold to me!!!

It does to me too.....but is it normal for it to only last 50k....or am i unkucky  :-/

Think i need to pop it round to my local garage for them to take a look....but it'll be next week now....coz owner is away on sun drenched holiday....think i paid for that!  ::)

Exhaust manifold are beyond me having a go  :(

reason i said it was my mate has just had to do the job on a 48000 mile 2.2 Omega!!! and he is in Swindon !!! with his own workshop
a hell of a lot cheaper than a garage!!!
Omegatoy

Ok cheers Omegatoy.....i might have to get his number from you  :y

I will have a look on Sunday to see if its snapped stud/s.....tho if all studs are intact would it be safe to assume manifold is cracked and not leaking from gasket?
no problem will speak to him tomorrow
and mention it mate, as suggested whip the heat covers off and havea look at teh manifild you will soon see it!!
Omegatoy

« Last Edit: 06 April 2007, 23:08:01 by Omegatoy »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 08 April 2007, 10:19:41 »

Right so heatshield off.....and not really sure what im looking for.......

But cannot see any bolts sheared off......but I DO notice that I can see a slight gap on one of the nuts between the nut and manifold.....so i put a socket on it.....and its loose!!  :o

It the top left one.....no1 cylinder i think.

Check all the others on the top of the manifold and they are definately tight.

Check the one below the loose one.....and thats loose as well  :o

Carnt check the others underneath the manifold at the mo.....coz ive just moved the omega and the manifold is a tad warm.

I havent tightened the two loose ones up yet......coz the question is can i just tighten them up? and also what sort of tightness? i havent got my torque wrench at the mo.......so i'll just be guessing but wouldnt want to go overtightening them.

Cheers

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2007, 11:33:09 »

:'(

Thought id tighten em up a tad.....now i have discovered why they are loose!

Snapped studs  :'(

So at least 2 of them  :(

Omegatoy.....can your m8 drill out and retap?
Its already had some of the studs drilled out and retaped (vx dealer snapped them off when they replaced the manifold 50k miles ago) but i dont know which ones, if it makes a difference  :-/

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 April 2007, 12:28:03 »

Sorry to hear that TD , I was hoping you were OK.
Don

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 April 2007, 13:11:15 »

Balls TD...

I had exactly the same probs on the Elite - one of the deciding factors to take the heads off, and make a proper job of the manifolds.

Access it not going to be great, to drill and tap in situ

On a plus point, being a 4 pot, it won't be any hardship to get the head off if needed

Having said that, I guess the bigger concern for you, is being without the car - as no car = no work!

If the manifold were to be removed, do you reckon there would be enough stud to extract?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2007, 17:07:11 »

Balls TD...

I had exactly the same probs on the Elite - one of the deciding factors to take the heads off, and make a proper job of the manifolds.

Access it not going to be great, to drill and tap in situ

On a plus point, being a 4 pot, it won't be any hardship to get the head off if needed

Having said that, I guess the bigger concern for you, is being without the car - as no car = no work!

If the manifold were to be removed, do you reckon there would be enough stud to extract?

I seem to remember when the vx muppets snapped some of them last time.....the vx dealer gave me a choice.....take head off and send it away, but will take longer.....or get someone in to do the job without taking the head off, but will cost more......i went for the later option....and didnt pay either.....i used the argument then of....you broke it....you fix it!.....think the dealer claimed for the expense on the warranty.

Dont know about how much stud is left in the hole.....both of them have snapped with about 3/4 inch of thread attached to the nut.

Not really bothered about how long it takes....as my VectraC comes back to me on Monday.....so I can use that for work if i need to.

I just need to find someone local to do the job really....

Presumably its not going to do any damage if i continue to use the Omega as it is.....just ticking noise get worse i assume.

I understand that the manifold obviously expands as it gets hot.....but are the snapped studs due to overtightening in the first place?
ie did the vx muppets overtighten them when they refitted the manifold 50k miles ago?

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2007, 17:19:23 »

TD ,you'll never know . If it's the same ones as I had then you should see where the thread ends in relation to the solid unthreaded section in the middle. That will give you an indication as to what is left proud of the head face.
As to continuing driving it, I asked many many people both on line and in person about it and the concensus of opinion was that after along while you may get some erosion where the gases are passing between the two faces but even that would take a long time to create a lasting problem.
If you can live with it do it when it suits you and your business.
I'd be interested to know what you get quoted for the job ( see my post ) but whatever you do good luck.
Cheers
Don

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 08 April 2007, 17:48:32 »

TD ,you'll never know . If it's the same ones as I had then you should see where the thread ends in relation to the solid unthreaded section in the middle. That will give you an indication as to what is left proud of the head face.
As to continuing driving it, I asked many many people both on line and in person about it and the concensus of opinion was that after along while you may get some erosion where the gases are passing between the two faces but even that would take a long time to create a lasting problem.
If you can live with it do it when it suits you and your business.
I'd be interested to know what you get quoted for the job ( see my post ) but whatever you do good luck.
Cheers
Don

Cheers Don.....I'll let you know how much i get stung for!

As a first port of call I'll try my local garage.....they wont be able to do the job....but i would guess they know someone who can....for when they go snapping off studs or having to repair studs that have already snapped.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 April 2007, 22:28:29 »

Hrm... there is not much to it, taking the head off a 4 pot

Have yourself a little project, TD.. plenty of help at the ready if you get stuck ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 08 April 2007, 22:42:26 »

Have yourself a little project, TD.. plenty of help at the ready if you get stuck ;)

Omegatoy has kindly pm'd me the number of his m8 in Swindon.....who could possibly do it for me....so i'll give him a ring next week....appreciate the offer James....but i know this is beyond me  

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2007, 23:34:43 »

Hope it all works out for you, TD.  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 April 2007, 15:59:04 »

Omegatoy has kindly pm'd me the number of his m8 in Swindon.....who could possibly do it for me....so i'll give him a ring next week....appreciate the offer James....but i know this is beyond me  

Best of luck TD.
I like red cars
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.