Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: miss fire  (Read 1640 times)

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
miss fire
« on: 08 April 2007, 18:18:31 »

Happy Easter Guys and Gals,

Ok small easter problem with the car. Got a miss fire on one of the cylinders not sure which one all i know is it runs like a complete bag. I have today replaced all the spark plugs and there is no difference. I did however notice some oil in the plug wells on the passenger side when i replaced them. Does anyone have any info on what it might be???? There was only about a teaspoons worth of oil in each chamber. When i restarted it there ws no change at all.

Many thanks in advnace

STMO123

Re: miss fire
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2007, 18:32:34 »

Sounds like cam cover gasket has gone.

bexandpower

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2007, 19:37:49 »

would that cause a miss fire though????

colalowe

• Poole Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2007, 19:45:13 »

If there is oil in the plug wells then that will cause the plug leads to fail, causing the mis-fire, I have just had to recently do mine, I think it is a common problem with the V6.

You will have to fix the gasket and replace the leads.

:y

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2007, 19:55:56 »

If your cam cover gaskets are gone, which I am pretty sure about, make sure you use genuine Vx ones when you replace them. Also, clean out the breathers or you will find that they go again in a very short time.If you are going to do them yourself. there is a how-to somewhere on the forum.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2007, 19:58:18 »

well, if the misfire is throughout the rev range (and worse at higher RPM) then I'd tend more towards a suspect DIS pack (each coil will affect a pair of cylinders) ... I had faulty HT lead(s) on my old miggy when I first got it - the DIS pack had been replaced, but the misfire was only really noticeable below about 3k PRM, above that it was fine .
« Last Edit: 08 April 2007, 20:00:28 by sounds2k »

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2007, 20:14:18 »

well, if the misfire is throughout the rev range (and worse at higher RPM) then I'd tend more towards a suspect DIS pack (each coil will affect a pair of cylinders) ... I had faulty HT lead(s) on my old miggy when I first got it - the DIS pack had been replaced, but the misfire was only really noticeable below about 3k PRM, above that it was fine .

Yes, but did you have oil in your plug wells?

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2007, 20:20:48 »

Yes, but did you have oil in your plug wells?
nope - none whatsoever. Did have that on my first miggy though, that had a very slight mis-fire - only really noticeable on idling - but the spark plug wells on that were full of oil ... and Vx couldn't find anything wrong with it  ::)

The mis-fire with HT leads was noticeably worse - but DIS pack failure tends to be worse again - and persists throughout the rev range ... trouble is the DIS pack is a pig to get at to check ...
« Last Edit: 08 April 2007, 20:22:16 by sounds2k »

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2007, 20:24:02 »

I would say...misfire..oil in plug wells....cam cover gaskets have got to be the prime suspect.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2007, 21:39:04 »

leads soaked in very hot oil soon ruins them.
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2007, 21:43:48 »

leads soaked in very hot oil soon ruins them.

Dont think the plugs like sitting in oil either....mine was missing when just the plug had oil surrounding it.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2007, 21:49:20 »

A couple of issues here.

Oil in plug wells is the very common rocker gaskets. Loads of info on here.

Msfire. If it is a bad one, ie car runs like a dog, then DIS pack. Leads generally cause a less noticeable misfire as it is usually 1 breaking down whereas DIS pack takes 2 cylinders out.

Be warned though. Once rocker gaskets are fixed, leads dry out and crack...and break down, causing a misfire!
The Administrator.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2007, 22:05:54 »

... and leads that break down have been known to kill DIS packs ... sounds like it might be expensive  :'(

JONNYWAKEY

• Bilsthorpe Nottinghamshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2007, 15:52:31 »

def sounds like rocker gasket, I had misfire code on code reader, car was running like a pig!
Low and behold - oil in spark well!

Changed mine, cost £13, also replaced my coil pack (DIS) as I though this would also help that was £80 from Autovaux.

See the maintenance guids on how to change, process is pretty much the same for all engine types, unless someone knows different!

Used a bit of wet'n'dry to rub of old gasket, also replace "O" rings which head bolts pass through, most auto accessory shops sell these for pennies.

Good Luck, my meega now runs like a dream!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2007, 19:22:44 »

def sounds like rocker gasket, I had misfire code on code reader, car was running like a pig!
Low and behold - oil in spark well!

Changed mine, cost £13, also replaced my coil pack (DIS) as I though this would also help that was £80 from Autovaux.

See the maintenance guids on how to change, process is pretty much the same for all engine types, unless someone knows different!

Used a bit of wet'n'dry to rub of old gasket, also replace "O" rings which head bolts pass through, most auto accessory shops sell these for pennies.

Good Luck, my meega now runs like a dream!
Though this is one case where it is strongly advised to stick to Vauxhall gaskets.  Time after time we have seen pattern ones fail a few weeks later...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.