Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?  (Read 21285 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to purchase a decent Elite ?
« Reply #60 on: 20 December 2015, 00:14:03 »

They're about. ;)  Be patient, keep an eye on the For Sale board here and all the usual places and you'll find what you are looking for!  :y

Eventually.....  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 20 December 2015, 10:05:13 »

Define tatty... Have you actually looked at any :-\

Yep, saw one yesterday.... a 2003 elite, 2.6 in manual (want auto so did not notice this in the ad but it was local)...... both arches gone, said svc history..... he could not locate it when i visited !!! rips in the seats.....no idea if cambelt had been done, did not know when the gearbox oil was changed,  need i go on.... TAT. They are so cheap now that price is not the issue, i simply want one that i have a reasonable chance to trust will not all light up like a christmas tree the moment i drive down the road ! I see other makes of cars older than 2003 where its clear the owners have taken care of them... i fail to see why an Omega owner should be any different.
Are we supposed to change the gearbox oil? I never have on an Omega, I thought it was only a check level matter.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20 December 2015, 11:07:19 »

Are we supposed to change the gearbox oil? I never have on an Omega, I thought it was only a check level matter.

GM sya they're sealed for life ...... but an oil & filter change does more good than harm  ;)

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 20 December 2015, 12:05:10 »

GM sya they're sealed for life ...... but an oil & filter change does more good than harm  ;)

Agree, the '' sealed for life '' guff just makes me laugh, its a marketing tool.

05omegav6

« Reply #64 on: 20 December 2015, 15:12:31 »

You could hold out for that mint, modest mileage, one owner car with full Vauxhall history, pay £3-4k and then still spend a grand sorting all the bits that VX overlooked... if that's what you prefer to do ;)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 20 December 2015, 15:21:55 »

Or a Mercedes trained mechanic owner who allegedly serviced it  >:( >:( Ive spent the best part of £600 getting it properly sorted  ::)
Omegatitis

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 20 December 2015, 19:37:38 »

You could hold out for that mint, modest mileage, one owner car with full Vauxhall history, pay £3-4k and then still spend a grand sorting all the bits that VX overlooked... if that's what you prefer to do ;)

I can not see any 13 year old Vauxhall with a v6 petrol engine and near mid teens MPG fetching that kind of money.... what ever the condition. I have seen a few which look ' nice ' on the web with reasonable miles (80k) but they are the other side of the country and just too far to go for a look, even then they top out at around the £1500 mark.

05omegav6

« Reply #67 on: 20 December 2015, 19:43:26 »

Have you ever owned one? If fuel economy of a two ton petrol car is a worry, it might be prudent to buy a nice 1.3cdti Corsa...

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 20 December 2015, 20:18:55 »

Have you ever owned one? If fuel economy of a two ton petrol car is a worry, it might be prudent to buy a nice 1.3cdti Corsa...

No i am quite happy with that mpg if i pay around the grand mark but 4k  ;D ;D ;D You would be mad to pay that. The mpg, general costs of running and the RFL all add to the fact that they will not reach high money.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 20 December 2015, 20:38:15 »

No i am quite happy with that mpg if i pay around the grand mark but 4k  ;D ;D ;D You would be mad to pay that. The mpg, general costs of running and the RFL all add to the fact that they will not reach high money.

Eh?  Tax is cheap, compared to something similar of a newer vintage.  General running costs are no different to any other car.  MPG is quite good, in my opinion.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21 December 2015, 11:30:20 »

Tut tut clock  :-X ::) ;)

To the OP. I was in the same boat when I was looking for my current estate. I searched long (2.5 years) and hard to find what I wanted. It was low mileage, full SH (mostly VX), good condition, the works. I paid top money for it from a dealer knowing I would spend a further £1.5-2k on it within weeks to get it sorted, although this did include LPG kit to convert it. All in I reckon it owed me around £5k when I bought it, more than our pal Roger Budden was charging but it was exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it! Admittedly it was LPG converted at that price too.

But, and here's the thing... My 63k, FSH car didn't (and still doesn't) run as well as the 177k car that was 4 years older that it replaced. I would say that mileage is fairly irrelevant on these, focus on condition and history. By history I mean enthusiast maintained ;) I would much rather see a pile of receipts from spares shops than a pile of garage receipts, even though there is nothing to guarantee the work has been done with the former (or the latter come to think of it!)  ::)

« Last Edit: 21 December 2015, 11:31:58 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21 December 2015, 17:05:22 »

Or a Mercedes trained mechanic owner who allegedly serviced it  >:( >:( Ive spent the best part of £600 getting it properly sorted  ::)
You got off lightly  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 December 2015, 17:05:40 »

Just seen this... it's broken, but frankly looks easily repairable, and after the usual culprits have been sorted seems a fine motor, all look very clean and tidy cosmetically.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-ELITE-V6-AUTO-GREY-/231786923640?hash=item35f793c678:g:dx4AAOSwJcZWcshb

I too saw this, but what does the seller mean, the cats have "blown through". I'm really confused about this.

Unless it's been misfiring over a prolonged time etc I can't see how a 102k cat would be damaged?

Hudson

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21 December 2015, 18:05:10 »

Tut tut clock  :-X ::) ;)

To the OP. I was in the same boat when I was looking for my current estate. I searched long (2.5 years) and hard to find what I wanted. It was low mileage, full SH (mostly VX), good condition, the works. I paid top money for it from a dealer knowing I would spend a further £1.5-2k on it within weeks to get it sorted, although this did include LPG kit to convert it. All in I reckon it owed me around £5k when I bought it, more than our pal Roger Budden was charging but it was exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it! Admittedly it was LPG converted at that price too.

But, and here's the thing... My 63k, FSH car didn't (and still doesn't) run as well as the 177k car that was 4 years older that it replaced. I would say that mileage is fairly irrelevant on these, focus on condition and history. By history I mean enthusiast maintained ;) I would much rather see a pile of receipts from spares shops than a pile of garage receipts, even though there is nothing to guarantee the work has been done with the former (or the latter come to think of it!)  ::)

Agree the miles are not the top deciding factor but it would be nice to keep below the triple figures, the condition and the servicing are key but they do tend to be a lot of tatty ones out there, i do know they may cost me more to run than your average modern car, example being my wifes diesel fabia which is so silly on fuel that it only visits the petrol station once a month and cost £20 a year to tax, couple that will the fact it has cost exactly zero over the 5 years of ownership in regards things going wrong (excluding the usual service bits and bobs) and i know a car like the Omega can be viewed as a ' toy ' and something you must understand will cost more to run than your average car.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2015, 18:11:51 by Hudson »

05omegav6

« Reply #74 on: 21 December 2015, 18:16:18 »

Hoblokcocks...

My 274k ex plod, ex Taxi thrice written off white car can be reasonably expected to drive to Greece and back using nothing but fuel.

My 169K 3previous owner Elite would reasonably be expected to do the same. And I have no history for that car.

Point is, the Omega is a perfectly reasonable car for doing absolutely everything you would expect a brand new car to do.

As for Vw products... :-X
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.