Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding lifters  (Read 1115 times)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Question regarding lifters
« on: 23 September 2006, 20:36:40 »

Hi guys,
i remember in previous post that the GeffV6man was saying that 2 different types of lifters had been used on the V6's. He also said that if somebody would want to change to a different type then he would have to change the T vents as well. My question is what are the T vents?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding lifters
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2006, 21:31:00 »

I don't actually know, but perhaps the paragraph below is a bit more detailed - it is from another post by the very same GeffV6man, this time in the Saab Central forum:

'Hi Mate, I worked at the V6 plant for years on durability / warranty, If you take the hydraulic tappets out you should be able to push the centre in and it should spring back - if it doesn't spring back its had it. (and you can't strip them down)
The later tappets fitted to the Saturn/saab V6 turbo were much improved - especially on start up - If you can find someone who is stripping one of these engines down - get the tappets - you also need to change the 4 x T vents which were also improved - there is one for each oil galery in the cylinder head - with the cam covers off these are easy to remove with an E10 socket - it might be worth cleaning these on your engine - as they could well be blocked - these vent the oil gallery. '

HTH....

Alas, no more Omegas....

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2006, 21:34:27 »

The oil gallery ventilation sleeve. They screw into the oil gallery and are sort of hollow bolts. There is a hole in the side to allow the oil that comes up them to go into the gallery and allong to the lifters and camshaft bearings. They also have a tiny hole in the top to allow any air out of the oil flow.

I don't have a pic of them but there are two in each head, one for each canshaft oil gallery, and look like torx bolt heads, one can be removed without removing the camshaft and the otherone can't.

The part number is 90500009 (at least that's what AutoVaux say) and AutoVaux has been trying to get me 4 since July and they were £8.24 +vat each.

As I understand it from Geoff the new lifters need a larger feed hole than the old style lifters and if you don't replace the 'T' vent the lifters won't last long.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2006, 23:21:50 »

Cheers guys,
its very clear now. THanks!!!

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2006, 01:35:29 »

Cheers guys,
its very clear now. THanks!!!

Glad someone understands!! Waaaaay over my head, at the minute anyway. Someday it will make sense. In the meantime, if the noise I have is confirmed as tappets, I might have to just live with it.
 [smiley=sad.gif]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.