Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords oil deal - heads up  (Read 9363 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Halfords oil deal - heads up
« Reply #45 on: 27 July 2013, 15:59:04 »

No mayo in either of mine, 2.2 has now done 90,000 miles only topped up with 1/2 a litre between changes, the 2.6 I have never had to top up in between bought with 50,000 on clock now on almost 80,000..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 July 2013, 16:03:09 »

That on Halfords fully syth?

2boxerdogs

« Reply #47 on: 27 July 2013, 18:39:57 »

Yes, that's all I have ever used since I have owned them ..

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #48 on: 27 July 2013, 21:03:56 »

Well at what point should I have posted that " I cirtainly wouldn't put that coma crap in my car, and I feel this stuff is similar quality" ...?
Because if I'd posted prior to this post, I would have been accused of some sort if snobbery, and after I'd be accused of being wise after the event.

But no, in any event, not for me. Thanks. :y

Seemingly Halfords/Comma oil is actually Esso. http://www.uk.commaoil.com/media/view/119 ;)

Really? You'll be telling us its mobil1 next. ;D

Many a true word . . . Esso = Exxon Mobil Corporation ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 July 2013, 23:23:02 »

I'd be surprised if the Halfords oils are consistently from the same source, to be honest. It's wet and slippery and conforms to the relevant standards. Good enough for me. :y

I suspect that it is also probably good enough for any and all of the fast fit stylee workshops out there looking for your dosh and is very much price dependant, more so than spec.

But that's just cynical old me!   :)
« Last Edit: 27 July 2013, 23:26:18 by hotel21 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 28 July 2013, 10:35:25 »

tunnie - halfords trade prices are generally not affected by promotions, hence trade price is often higher than promotion price.

So, in this case, I wouldn't be surprised if its £9 normally.  Remember, though, IIRC, this is for 4l, not GM's 5l, so on a par with the tried and tested (in Omegas) GM at £48 for 4 x 5l

I'd initially just use it for the purpose you bought it for, and see how you get on :)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 28 July 2013, 10:59:11 »

Cheers J. Will take this stuff back home at some point and stick it in the 3.2.

omega3000

« Reply #52 on: 28 July 2013, 13:52:02 »

Well at what point should I have posted that " I cirtainly wouldn't put that coma crap in my car, and I feel this stuff is similar quality" ...?
Because if I'd posted prior to this post, I would have been accused of some sort if snobbery, and after I'd be accused of being wise after the event.

Seemingly Halfords/Comma oil is actually Esso. http://www.uk.commaoil.com/media/view/119 ;)

Whats wrong with Mobil1 ?  ??? ???

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28 July 2013, 22:54:01 »

Personally I doubt the Halfords and Mobil 1 are the same oil (after all Mobil make different types) but I don't think there's any doubt they are made by the same mega oil corporation.  Although Esso/Mobil/Exxon/Comma undoubtedly make many different types of oil, it is often cheaper to mass produce one product and let the marketing departments stick different and fancy labels on it that impress those easily taken in. 

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #54 on: 28 July 2013, 23:04:19 »

Personally I doubt the Halfords and Mobil 1 are the same oil (after all Mobil make different types) but I don't think there's any doubt they are made by the same mega oil corporation.  Although Esso/Mobil/Exxon/Comma undoubtedly make many different types of oil, it is often cheaper to mass produce one product and let the marketing departments stick different and fancy labels on it that impress those easily taken in.

Esso is effectively a trade name for ExxonMobil, and no longer markets POS motor oils.  The Esso refinery at Fawley now only  produces lubricant basestocks.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 28 July 2013, 23:08:00 »

Just had a result on this, reserved online went to the store to collect. As usual with Halfrauds, the checkout girl looked my order number up, then went to the shelf to pick it out  ::)

Not enough there, so had to get some more from the back. Remind me again, the point in reserving if they just pick it off the shelf on arrival  ???

Anywho, got the deal price of £10 per 5L bottle, I then decided to flash my trade card. I was not expecting anything as it was already on offer, but got another £2 off!

So £38 for 4x 5L of 5w30 Fully Synth.

Not a bad deal that, on the drive back been trying to remember how much GM's 10/40 is on trade club, as I'm sure this works out quite a bit cheaper. Recall £48/50 all in last time I went to a dealer  :-\

At this price I'm considering going back for another 8 bottles this time, assume there is no harm in 5/30 Fully Synth in high miles 2.2 petrol?

Re-reading the above it looks to keep its "structure" longer, so in theory longer changes (not that I'll go on miles, more colour/feel)

Just one minor correction, the cans in the offer are 4L not 5L.  Or did you get an even better bargain?  Even at 4L the fully syns are an amazing deal for £10 esp if they're Mobil ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #56 on: 28 July 2013, 23:22:11 »

They're branded Comma not Mobil - will be different formulations, Comma being cheap end of the market.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 29 July 2013, 00:16:15 »

My bad, is 4L bottles. Too used to years of 5L GM bottles. Still it's an excellent price. Will see how the 3.2 takes to it. Will probably continue to feed the 2.2 10/40 Semi

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 29 July 2013, 00:23:24 »

My bad, is 4L bottles. Too used to years of 5L GM bottles. Still it's an excellent price. Will see how the 3.2 takes to it. Will probably continue to feed the 2.2 10/40 Semi

Keep us up to date on how the 3.2 likes this stuff  :y.. not buying any myself only just changed the oil.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 29 July 2013, 00:39:09 »

Keep us up to date on how the 3.2 likes this stuff  :y.. not buying any myself only just changed the oil.

Will do  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.