Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittant key/immobiliser(?) problem  (Read 907 times)

1883mm

• Scotland
    • Omega 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
Intermittant key/immobiliser(?) problem
« on: 13 February 2014, 11:26:21 »

Intermittent problem starting petrol 2.5V6 CDX of 1989.  After car off road for two years, new battery fitted.  The two keys lock/unlock doors with no problem.  For two thirds of times, no problem starting, but for other one third of occasions, put key in ignition, all warning lights shine, but car will not start (i.e. absolutely nothing happens).  Remove and reinsert key into ignition a few times, and ,so far, everything starts.  I would be grateful for any help in curing the problem.
(Incidently, the alarm system is not working (I am happy with this), and sometimes a voice tells me that something is expired and gives me a number to phone (I think this is a hangover from the 'traffic delay' warning from the firsr year of the car's life).
(Despit its age the car has done only 57000miles: I got it at 6000)

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittant key/immobiliser(?) problem
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2014, 12:35:58 »

Intermittent problem starting petrol 2.5V6 CDX of 1989.  After car off road for two years, new battery fitted.  The two keys lock/unlock doors with no problem.  For two thirds of times, no problem starting, but for other one third of occasions, put key in ignition, all warning lights shine, but car will not start (i.e. absolutely nothing happens).  Remove and reinsert key into ignition a few times, and ,so far, everything starts.  I would be grateful for any help in curing the problem.
(Incidently, the alarm system is not working (I am happy with this), and sometimes a voice tells me that something is expired and gives me a number to phone (I think this is a hangover from the 'traffic delay' warning from the firsr year of the car's life).
(Despit its age the car has done only 57000miles: I got it at 6000)

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

Explain please .. ie .. does it turn over but not fire, or not even turn over ?? Does the EML light flash continually whilst trying to start ??

The "voice" is the now defunct traffic master system ... best thing you can do is unplug it all behind the radio ... but that involves removing the radio -easy(ish) - and putting it back - not so easy as there's not a lot of room for all the wires !!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2014, 12:39:44 »

.... ... but that involves removing the radio -easy(ish) - and putting it back - not so easy as there's not a lot of room for all the wires !!

Removal of the Traffic do dar's wiring loom gives a lot more room behind the radio  ;) ;)

1883mm

• Scotland
    • Omega 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2014, 13:02:52 »

I have just tried the car.  When the key was inserted, there was a faint buzz(from the alarm system?) and all the dashboard indicator lights illuminated (not the external trafficator lights).  When the key was turned to the 'ignition on' position some of the lights go out, but none flashed.  When the key was turned to the position to operate the starter, there was the clunk of the solenoid, but nothing turned.  On the first two attempts (a few minutes ago) to start the car, nothing happened (as just described), then on the third attempt it started perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.