Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I smell bull****  (Read 2565 times)

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
I smell bull****
« on: 19 August 2016, 10:53:44 »

had a call from the guy who is fitting my cambelt kit to the 3litre elite and he says it's the wrong one (CTK884K1) asked him if he was sure as according to my engine no. it's correct.he insists the timing marks don't line up so against my better judgement i get the later type (CTK990K1).i am then informed that the tensioner and roller parts from my original kit are correct but the belt was wrong and they have used the belt out of the ctk990 kit.now please correct me if wrong but aren't the belts all the same (apart from superceded part no's (Number of teeth 225 Tooth pitch 8[mm] Width 30[mm]) so unless a totally spurious belt has found it's way into the original kit they are telling me porkies.

John. >:(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: I smell bull****
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2016, 10:56:23 »

Belts normally have a couple of sets of marks, so they work for all engines but if the guy doesn't realise this then perhaps he has got confused. GM belts never used to have marks at all as you don't really need to rely on them. Depends how familiar you are with the engine. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2016, 11:15:35 »

I've never managed to make all 5 marks on the belt line up. Now I ignore them unless getting everything tensioned properly proves difficult.

You have checked that your mechanic is using the full locking toolset? That is the key to reliably doing the job properly.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2016, 11:34:54 »

Ex Vauxhall guys who worked in another dealership when I was with lookers,have all the right gear and used them many times.so do you agree all the belts are the same but don't rely on the timing marks.
Thanks John.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2016, 11:48:07 »

Ex Vauxhall guys who worked in another dealership when I was with lookers,have all the right gear and used them many times.so do you agree all the belts are the same but don't rely on the timing marks.
Thanks John.

all v6 belts are the same across the range

Some have "markings" to ASSIST installation which are different based on era of engine, but the number of teeth remain the same across them all

Anyone experienced in fitting these belts and using the setting kit doesn't need the marks

On face value id say he is confused as opposed to lying. Very odd that an ex Vauxhall tech doesn't know these things.

Not to saying this applies to your guy, but some of the poorest set up belts I've seen (and I've seen many) were last done at a Vx dealer

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2016, 16:10:29 »

When they were working at Vx, I'll bet they never even saw an omega.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2016, 11:46:29 »

You can fit any kit to any engine variant.......if you know what you are doing.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2016, 12:23:13 »

have since picked the car up and had a chat.the guy fitting it was fine that all was correct but was persuaded by his boss to go with a belt with marks that lined up.been using them for years with no issues and see no need to worry.
John.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2016, 17:14:46 »

You can fit any kit to any engine variant.......if you know what you are doing.

:y
Hoof'land storeman.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2016, 22:23:49 »

Post number 2 - first one to say hello. 

The last 3 cam belts I've done were on a mk3 astra (when i did the head gasket), a mk3 cavalier (when I did the head gasket), and a mk1 mx5 (just for fun)

In all cases, I've marked up the old belt with a paint pen (or liquid paper will do) on each pulley wheel and on the belt.

Then I've taken the old belt, and marked up the new belt the same, (counting the teeth in case) and made sure that when I've finished the new belt and marks line up with where I'd marked up the pulley wheels.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2016, 00:02:58 »

The last 3 cam belts I've done were on a mk3 astra (when i did the head gasket), a mk3 cavalier (when I did the head gasket), and a mk1 mx5 (just for fun)

In all cases, I've marked up the old belt with a paint pen (or liquid paper will do) on each pulley wheel and on the belt.

Then I've taken the old belt, and marked up the new belt the same, (counting the teeth in case) and made sure that when I've finished the new belt and marks line up with where I'd marked up the pulley wheels.

Not a good plan on the V6; with 1 drive and 4 driven pulleys, plus three adjustable rollers you're unlikely to get right. Just getting the belt markings(and they don't all have them) aligned is just the start of the procedure. Nor will they align after even the first turn through.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2016, 08:33:03 »

Doing the v6 without a locking kit is not clever, follow the years of advice and knowledgeable souls that frequent this forum.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.