Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this snakeoil?  (Read 2604 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Is this snakeoil?
« on: 04 April 2017, 00:48:06 »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: Is this snakeoil?
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2017, 07:15:46 »

Magic beans painted silver :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2017, 08:28:57 »

Seen them for sale every year at the Classic Car shows so .. someone must buy them, I guess!

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2017, 15:05:59 »

They look like lead baubles
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2017, 18:11:31 »

These things have been on the go for years!Personally never been tempted to try them so whether they work or not I can't say.Ask yourself the question "Do I feel lucky?" :D

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2017, 18:19:00 »

These things have been on the go for years!Personally never been tempted to try them so whether they work or not I can't say.Ask yourself the question "Do I feel lucky?" :D
Why would you be tempted? Have you had cars that were designed for leaded? Old git.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2017, 18:29:08 »

Yes Stemo I am an old git :P I'd say I've had more cars designed and built to run on 4 star than on unleaded :)

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2017, 19:06:02 »

Yes Stemo I am an old git :P I'd say I've had more cars designed and built to run on 4 star than on unleaded :)
Yes, but 4 star would be available then.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2017, 19:16:34 »

STEMO, I confess to being in the old git/fart category too, but my interest centres on my old Sunbeam S* which I have mentioned on here more than once. Born in 1952, it will have fairly soft valve seats and a desire for leaded petrol, so when I get a Round Tuit I will re-assmble it from its many component parts and be looking for either a lead supplement or obtaining hardened seats.

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2017, 19:29:39 »

STEMO, I confess to being in the old git/fart category too, but my interest centres on my old Sunbeam S* which I have mentioned on here more than once. Born in 1952, it will have fairly soft valve seats and a desire for leaded petrol, so when I get a Round Tuit I will re-assmble it from its many component parts and be looking for either a lead supplement or obtaining hardened seats.

Ron.
Supplement every time, Ron, surely? But I wouldn't trust these little fellas to do the job, I'd be using a proprietary (proven) brand.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2017, 19:40:07 »

Snake oil.

How many miles a year will you ever realistically ride it?

Unless your cylinder head is new/old stock and never got exposed to leaded petrol the existing valve seats will outlast you.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2017, 21:28:51 »

Definitely not new, Andy, so that's good to hear. You are saying that the mileage it has done way back in the days of leaded petrol has given it residual "lubrication"?
I am given to understand that valve seats are only part of the problem, the other part being valve stem lubrication, which is why more modern cars (i.e. from the unleadedd era) have had to have larger stem/guide clearances to compensate for the lack of lead-derived lubrication.....and the consequent increased oil consumption?

Ron.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2017, 22:08:15 »

A key cause of valve seat recession is the tendency of a hot valve and seat to weld themselves together and then for the seat to be eaten away as little bits get pulled off

Tetraethyl lead was originally added to petrol to improve the octane rating and allow higher compression ratio without pinking / pre-ignition. A side benefit was that the lead binds with the metal of the valve seats and somehow acts to prevent the valve and seat from welding together.

I am puzzled by the reference to looser valve clearences on modern engines :( My experience of engine rebuilds is limited to1960's Royal Enfields (pushrod) 1980's Suzukis (DOHC) 1970/80s Rover V8 (pushrod) and my 1994 Omega 2.5 V6 (Quad cam). Generally the oldest engines had big valve stems with massive clearances and the newest engines have dainty little precision machined valve stems  :-\ AndyB or Marks DTM might be able to throw some more light on that one :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2017, 22:24:03 »

My information on the clearance issue came from a well-respected engineer who managed/maintained a large fleet of vehicles in London and also did major oil testing and research (Duckham's Q scored very highly), so I assumed that he  was speaking with authority. His concern over the increased oil consumption was very real, with all of those vehicles to cater for!
I am happy to listen to other views, obviously, as the wisdom on here is phenominal.  8) :y

Ron.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2017, 22:36:12 »

My Royal Enfields and Rover V8s didn't have oil seals on the valve stems. They burned almost as much oil as petrol  ;D

The Suzukis and Omega V6s have oil seals on the valve stems which are then protected from oil spray because they are hiding under the cam followers.

I don't know what the arrangement is in an S8 :-\ Is it single cam with rockers actuating the valves?

Either way I can't see how the petrol formulation will have much effect on the valve stems :-\ Of more concern is exhaust emissions due to burning oil leaking past big clearances on the valve stems.........
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.