Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: car service record  (Read 1353 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
car service record
« on: 15 December 2022, 22:00:55 »

does servicing your own vehicle instead of going to a dealership devalue the car whenever one may want to part ex it. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: car service record
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2022, 02:06:58 »

Shouldn't too much if you can demonstrate timings and receipts for genuine parts...

Obviously it depends if you're talking a six month old £80k car or a twenty year old Pug 206... :D

Spending money on a pukka valet will make more of a first impression when you take it in for a valuation  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2022, 08:12:07 »

IMO it depends on where you are trading it in and at what budget level.

If you are taking it into a main dealer, they'll use it as a tool to knock you down on price then pitch it as a positive to the next buyer (enthusiast previous owner blah blah blah). Just the way of the world, particularly at the moment where demand is greater than supply.

If you're trading a sub £5k car into an independent dealership I doubt it will make any difference. As they actually have to re-sell your car, with a personal interest in the outcome of that sale, they will be far more interested in its overall condition (as DG points out - valet is probably worth more than FSH here!).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2022, 09:48:13 »

Personally, I'd rather see a stack of receipts for a well maintained car, serviced far more regularly than the manufacturer intervals.  But the Uninformed will genuinely believe that franchised dealers are part of the manufacturer, and therefore the only place that can do any work.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2022, 11:34:54 »

If you are taking it into a main dealer, they'll use it as a tool to knock you down on price then pitch it as a positive to the next buyer (enthusiast previous owner blah blah blah). Just the way of the world, particularly at the moment where demand is greater than supply.
…………..

^^^^^^  This is exactly my findings as well.  :y  You turn up to PX a car, armed with carefully documented service history and all receipts/mot paperwork to go with it and your paperwork is dismissed as worthless as you’ve serviced it yourself, albeit every five thousand miles.
The last time I did that I was told that they didn’t want to accept a customers service history paperwork due to covid, even though a garage will still give you a receipt with a breakdown of what’s been done, which is still paperwork that I would leave in the car for the new owner.  ::)
As said, when they get to a certain age and budget, I really don’t think servicing it yourself matters that much as the overall condition of the vehicle is then taken in to account, along with your own documentation of the service history. My full service history is online only but I daresay that dealers can fill in any gaps for vehicles that aren’t up to date. Would they dare to do such a thing ……. hmmm.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2022, 11:49:21 »

Auto trader tells me that my Astra is worth £2860 as a trade in, but that's in 'good condition'. Once you take into account the scratches and tatty bumpers, that's probably £2000. It's worth a lot more than £2000 to me. 109,000 miles and still running fine, so it's staying where it is.
We finished our mortgage in October, a fact that didn't escape wifey......and her 'getting on a bit now' car  ;D That's where I'll have to lay down the law with whoever I trade it with, FSH part dealer, part indie. £6410 is the trade in on that, according to AT, and I won't accept much less considering similar cars with same mileage are going for just shy of eight grand.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2022, 14:30:28 »

If you're trading a sub £5k car into an independent dealership I doubt it will make any difference. As they actually have to re-sell your car, with a personal interest in the outcome of that sale, they will be far more interested in its overall condition (as DG points out - valet is probably worth more than FSH here!).

......along with colour, specification, and just about anything and everything related to the car.

Hanging is too good. ::)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2022, 16:44:33 »

my reason for asking its 3mths hence before m.o.t & I went to the dealership last year simply because I wanted the satnav updating but the bill included a £125 for a diagnostic check before they did anything & I paid a total bill of £408, I rather like the satisfaction of doing the work myself & at EParts the 3 filters + a new sump plug totals about £53. the oil that is recommended I already have. so full steam ahead i will do them myself

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2022, 19:10:33 »

If you take it with a view to part ex it, put a clean, fresh MoT on it and get it valeted.

Those two things are worth as much as the history, if not more.

Obviously the MoT only confirms that it is roadworthy at the time of test, but no advisories will give an idea of the way it has been looked after in support of the invoices etc.

Also it becomes a selling point, both to the dealer and the next owner.

Presenting it after driving it round a boggy field and a dash lit up like a Christmas tree will do the exact opposite.
Onanists always think outside the box.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2022, 12:11:03 »

I thought that dealers sent our old bangers to the auction Happy Christmas all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.